Sign in to follow this  
#

Please boycott watching the World Cup.

Its an obscenity imo, starving and homeless people must come first.

FIFA + World Cup = Corruption. :red

[quote user="swindoncanary"]No chance, I''m not missing the greatest show on earth because governments/ FIFA are corrupt.
[/quote]

So you''re happy to endorse it?

Is it any wonder the planet is in such conflict.......I hope the good people of Brazil rise again and ruin the farce.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]homelessness and starvation have no relation to football...its a bit of an odd point[/quote]

They are very relevant when the country hosting the World Cup has spend billions on building stadiums rather than housing its homeless or feeding its starving.

Yes Wiz it''sthe fault of football that 80% ofthe worlds wealth is owned by 20% of th population........not to mention that people living longer manes that in the past 30 years the earth''s popultion has trebbled.......if people controlled the amount of children they produce than we would not have the problems we have now.

We are lucky to live where we do and enjoy the fruits of our hard work, but people need to take responsibility too.

Leave politics away from a festival of football and fun, embrace the few pleasures in a world ruled by power hungry people.

I''ve go my M&M''s, salted popcorn and pear cider in the fridge ready to embrace the World Cup.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="mrs miggins"]homelessness and starvation have no relation to football...its a bit of an odd point[/quote]

They are very relevant when the country hosting the World Cup has spend billions on building stadiums rather than housing its homeless or feeding its starving.

[/quote]

Huzzah! [Y]

So theres no homeless people in this country then. give up your season ticket money and give it to a homeless person. Yer didnt think so.

[quote user="Indy"]

Yes Wiz it''sthe fault of football that 80% ofthe worlds wealth is owned by 20% of th population........not to mention that people living longer manes that in the past 30 years the earth''s popultion has trebbled.......if people controlled the amount of children they produce than we would not have the problems we have now.

We are lucky to live where we do and enjoy the fruits of our hard work, but people need to take responsibility too.

Leave politics away from a festival of football and fun, embrace the few pleasures in a world ruled by power hungry people.

I''ve go my M&M''s, salted popcorn and pear cider in the fridge ready to embrace the World Cup.

[/quote]

You''ve just described FIFA Indy.

[quote user="CJRV 2014"]So theres no homeless people in this country then. give up your season ticket money and give it to a homeless person. Yer didnt think so.[/quote]

Oh dearie dear.[:S]

[quote user="CJRV 2014"]So theres no homeless people in this country then. give up your season ticket money and give it to a homeless person. Yer didnt think so.[/quote]

Cough... wiz...

If you''re going to take that stance, I suggest you leave football alone altogether then Wiz.

This is probably going to be the least corrupt World Cup in 12 years at least, so i''m going to enjoy it. Football has done a hell of a lot more to bring about world peace and given hope to millions.

It even has the ability to stop wars, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce#Football_matches

I''m not going to let the actions of some silly old man who judging by his most recent comments will be cooped up in an old peoples home before long ruin the world cup for me!

You know the equation isn''t as simple as "give the poor a load of money and we''ll all be even" anyway, there is far more to it than that. Did you boycott the 2012 Olympics in respect to us poor northerners who had to pay for it and didn''t see much of a return from it? I''d imagine the answer is no.

The tournament itself is a great unifier;    the people of nations coming together for the worlds second largest sporting event is a reason to celebrate - it will create images that will be recalled by millions for decades.

The problem, as always, is corrupt people in positions of power - and that is as much the fault of the oil based wealthy brazilians themselves as Fifa, the IOC,  numerous religions etc etc etc.

If you are going to have a pop at FIFA for the world cup why not the FA for the prem league when we have so many people in poverty here or the americans for being one of only two countries in the world refusing to sign up to the UN child welfare agreement?  

Keep your attention see to yourself and enjoy a wonderful spectacle  

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]If you''re going to take that stance, I suggest you leave football alone altogether then Wiz. This is probably going to be the least corrupt World Cup in 12 years at least, so i''m going to enjoy it. Football has done a hell of a lot more to bring about world peace and given hope to millions. It even has the ability to stop wars, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce#Football_matches I''m not going to let the actions of some silly old man who judging by his most recent comments will be cooped up in an old peoples home before long ruin the world cup for me! You know the equation isn''t as simple as "give the poor a load of money and we''ll all be even" anyway, there is far more to it than that. Did you boycott the 2012 Olympics in respect to us poor northerners who had to pay for it and didn''t see much of a return from it? I''d imagine the answer is no.[/quote]

The FIFA corruption is tiny compared to the corruption within Brazil resulting from the money spent on building the World Cup stadiums.

Comparing the World Cup in Brazil to the margnial north/south divide in the UK anf the spending of the 2012 Olympics is insulting to those who live in true poverty in the large Brazilian cities.

I would recommend all who watch and enjoy the World Cup to make a donation to either Oxfam or the Street World Cup run by Save The Children - it won''t solve the problems in Brazil (or globally) but it will mean those who need it most benefit from the World Cup.

https://www.oxfam.org.uk/donate

http://streetchildworldcup.org/

It was meant as a tiny comparison to be honest. Obviously if you host any major tournament in a developing nation it is going to be harder to please everyone. The fact is though, the World Cup wouldn''t be possible if it were run completely socially. The sponsors and expensive tickets are needed to make money.

As for the FIFA corruption, it''s just the tip of the iceberg so far. THe same sort of thing will happen in both Russia and Qatar when it comes to building the stadiums.

In many ways, a lot of the developing nations have far more pressing concerns than hosting a big tournament but does that mean we should just leave it to the developed nations?

If you look at the amount of money a lot of charities lose in trying to get the help to where it''s really needed after the greedy dictators etc have had their share, it''s a common theme. This world cup was never going to happen without corruption.

The street child world cup looks a very exciting prospect. A lot of people living in the favelas actually quite like the community spirit that they have there, it''s a bit like some areas of India or Kowloon Walled City where the people work together to create a sustainable way of life. It''s not ideal but in many ways it works for them. It''s hard to know what the solution to it all is.

So Wiz Thinks that if I switch off my TV during a World Cup match, even tho'' I''m still paying for it, it''s gonna change the world ? Do you promise to boycott the whole of the World Cup ?

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="swindoncanary"]No chance, I''m not missing the greatest show on earth because governments/ FIFA are corrupt.
[/quote]

So you''re happy to endorse it?

Is it any wonder the planet is in such conflict.......I hope the good people of Brazil rise again and ruin the farce.

[/quote]

what about the starving and homeless who didn''t "come first" in 1966, 1996 and 2012?

Almost ashamed to say it but I''m kind of with wiz on this...

This World Cup is turning into a farce. A president saying his detractors are racist for providing evidence of corruption all the while talking about playing football on different planets, a population obsessed with football but so poor they can''t get behind the World Cup in their nation, stadiums built in the middle of nowhere destined to become relics and a total waste of money.

The people living in the favelas have every right to be mad, they should be furious. I was mad when England didn''t get the World Cup for 2018 but I realise now I don''t want the stench of FIFA in this country.

I have to watch the England games, it''s my heritage and my nation and I have to support them but I will watch no other games.

The only way FIFA can be stopped is a breakaway with big nations offering a genuine market for the sponsors.

FIFA are a non profit organisation with 1 billions pounds in the bank.

I don''t know what we are afraid of. Pull out of FIFA. It''s a clear ethical decision. They can''t stop us playing football and I''d be amazed if they''d stem the flow of cash into the premier league and football league.

For once we need to be the example for others to follow.

And for all the morons that buy FIFA every year for their consoles YOU are financing a corrupt organisation and are part of the problem.

Bethnal Yellow and Green wrote the following post at 12/06/2014 11:24 AM:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

You''re talking about politics and a contract that Brazil shouldn''t have signed, not football.

To be honest guys, I think we are just feeding the troll that is Wiz.

He is currently sat at home lapping all these comments up with a sock and his member in one hand and a jar of peaces in the other.

Bethnal Yellow and Green

What a great way to look at the situation. The only person I harm by boycotting the world cup is actually myself, it''s no protest at all but by donating to child poverty charities every game I watch then at least it''s a tangibly good gesture. I will do it :)

Wiz

The corruption and sheer absurdity of spending all that money when there is so much need is hard to stomach but boycotting watching it in your arm chair is only harming yourself. You might as well enjoy the spectacle but donate to charities that can directly help poverty in the country.

Who can make FIFA change? me? no but Visa, Coke and Adidas who pay for it all can and they seem to be applying pressure.

[quote user="Buh"]Almost ashamed to say it but I''m kind of with wiz on this... This World Cup is turning into a farce. A president saying his detractors are racist for providing evidence of corruption all the while talking about playing football on different planets, a population obsessed with football but so poor they can''t get behind the World Cup in their nation, stadiums built in the middle of nowhere destined to become relics and a total waste of money. The people living in the favelas have every right to be mad, they should be furious. I was mad when England didn''t get the World Cup for 2018 but I realise now I don''t want the stench of FIFA in this country. I have to watch the England games, it''s my heritage and my nation and I have to support them but I will watch no other games. The only way FIFA can be stopped is a breakaway with big nations offering a genuine market for the sponsors. FIFA are a non profit organisation with 1 billions pounds in the bank. I don''t know what we are afraid of. Pull out of FIFA. It''s a clear ethical decision. They can''t stop us playing football and I''d be amazed if they''d stem the flow of cash into the premier league and football league. For once we need to be the example for others to follow. And for all the morons that buy FIFA every year for their consoles YOU are financing a corrupt organisation and are part of the problem.[/quote]

some interesting debates.. by pulling out of FIFA you'';; never see england at a world cup ever again. UEFA won''t go in a separate direction to FIFA as there''s too much tied up in both to allow this to happen.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]So Wiz Thinks that if I switch off my TV during a World Cup match, even tho'' I''m still paying for it, it''s gonna change the world ?
Do you promise to boycott the whole of the World Cup ?
[/quote]

Yes I do Swindon, the corruption and injustice sickens me.

When I started this thread I expected the usual insults from some posters, fine, laugh it up, meanwhile men, women and children in Brazil are starving and homeless for the sake of football, I am indeed blessed I''ve never met you all in my life.

You give FIFA an ultimatum. They have already had enough chances but I can tell you this report try are doin will prove the draw for Qatar was corrupt. Let''s face it, the Russia one was as well they just had a bit of grace to cover it up. But when it is proven that it was corrupt and try still go ahead with it then we just leave. Literally no point in being in an organisation like that I can''t believe they can cock up a World Cup in Brazil that really is "p.iss up in a brewery" territory but they have and the next two will be disastrous. People will die in Russia, trust me. And people already have in Qatar.

The whole thing makes me sick.

I think people have a very misguided view of the country, its not all carnivals, its very, very similar to Angola, where I am now. Both countries are rolling in oil money but the streets are awash with poor people. The company I work for has a billion dollar contract with Petrobras, and that is but a tiny part of things.

I actually see the point Wiz is trying to make, but it really isn''t FIFA''s fault.

[quote user="Buh"]You give FIFA an ultimatum. They have already had enough chances but I can tell you this report try are doin will prove the draw for Qatar was corrupt. Let''s face it, the Russia one was as well they just had a bit of grace to cover it up. But when it is proven that it was corrupt and try still go ahead with it then we just leave. Literally no point in being in an organisation like that I can''t believe they can cock up a World Cup in Brazil that really is "p.iss up in a brewery" territory but they have and the next two will be disastrous. People will die in Russia, trust me. And people already have in Qatar. The whole thing makes me sick.[/quote]

the "evidence" for qatar will magically dissapear... its amazing what a few quid can do.

why will people die in Russia just out of interest?

in the last 20 years we have seen major sporting events take place in South Africa (twice), Korea, China and whilst i do not doubt there have been major issues these countries have held succesful tournaments and who knows.. perhaps in rio at the olympics in 2 years we might see a more positive Brazil?