Is this the best the Beeb can come up with ? Nowhere near as good as his brother.Could hardly make out what he was saying in that Lancashire accent but would''ve helped himself if he''s got a bit excited now and again.Even the Old Bill joked that he probably helped keep pub violence down as we''d all fallen asleep.....

Hes marginally better than Clarke Carlisle on ITV tho. And there is no worse presenter in the whole of TV than the truely awfull Adrian Chiles, how this bloke has a job in TV presenting is baffling.

It''s not just Neville''s voice, which was in danger of sending everyone into a coma, it''s the fact that the guy just kept droning on and on and never shut the fack up!

In a really messed up alternate reality Phil Neville was probably doing the commentary for Robot Wars and Jonathan Pearce playing football in the premiership.

What?!!! Clark Carlisle at least has more interest and energy about him.Crikey, it was hard enough watching a game that late but Neville was utter rubbish. No energy, no spark - just one monotone, soft, murmuring voice droning on and on.Keown is the best the beeb have for me. Really like his enthusiasm and his critique of the game to complement the commentator. I watched most of the France game and he was head and shoulders better than any others I have heard so far this world cup.

Neville just needs to work on his voice. He spoke a fair bit of sense but he did himself no favours murmuring along.

I agree, I quite like him. He was given an open goal to criticise Rooney at one point and he side stepped it well. Good on him.

[quote user="im spartacus"]adrian chiles is funny in a danny baker kind of way i don''t see what peoples problem is with him ? [/quote]

Adrian Chiles is funny??!

Sh!t the bed, I''ve heard it all.

I''m not sure if Chiles is that funny but I think he does a better job than people give him credit for, he''s certainly not as bad as people make out.

Robbie Savage is flippin'' miserable tonight.

Best bit for me was when the commentator said (about Ross Barkley) that "He won''t be overawed by the occasion tonight", and then immediately, Neville said "He won''t be overawed by the occasion tonight"

Insightful came to mind

Luckily Phil Neville had that utter joke Robbie Savage to take the heat off him. He is literally the most ridiculous w-anchor going.

I couldn''t hear Phil Neville as I watched the game with a load of others which downed out most of the commentary. But I have to say that the standard of "analysis" and insight after the games has been very poor. Most of these people seemed to have been recruited through being "names" rather than possessing any actual intelligent analytical skills. The BBC''s magic trio of Rio, Shearer and Henry are terrifyingly uninteresting with a level of debate easily exceeded at any local pub. They have all the charisma of a set of pot plants on special offer; and Henry refused to say anything negative about France at all, giving a blinkered and distorted view. This WC has been notable so far for some great football action but as bad as I can remember in the studio.

I thought Rio has been alright. Seedorf is an absolute legend as well and knows his stuff. It''s not supposed to be the most technical thing in the world or we''d be calling them boring for other reasons. You want it a bit ''pub level'' at times.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]He''s well aware that he didn''t do a very good job but looks to improve http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27867939[/quote]

From that, this is the most telling quote imo - "Phil Neville has acknowledged he wasn''t great during England commentary -

but what were the BBC doing giving him that game to ''learn his craft''?"   

Exactly. That, when we could have had Mark Lawrenson......oh........

I actually thought what Neville said was generally ok. he knows his stuff more than most of the pundits. Trouble was he spoke too much (possibly nerves - needs to settle down and realise he does not need to be talking the whole time) which combined with his slightly monotone voice turned people off.

As to the general standard of the pundits I think Dixon and Hoddle on ITV are good. Other than that though their pundits are poor and a couple of the foreign ones can barely speak English. Fine if you want to have an Italian on the team to give the Italian perspective but surely you get someone who can speak the language better than Cannavaro.

For the Beeb I prefer Keown as a co-commentator to when he;s trying to look earnest in the studio. Henry is quite good and I also quite like Ferdinand although can;t help but spend most of my time staring at his bizarre mouth.