Sign in to follow this  
Bill

How much worse off are we financially this season ?

Looking at the figures below how much worse off will we be this season as opposed to the 3 seasons in the PL (figures not available for season ending 2014) ..... figures after comma are in millions

2013         2012

11,669   11,338            Gate receipts and ticket sales
   49,032    48,525           Broadcasting (FA & League income)
     ,335       ,405          Media 
  4,513    4,314           Catering
 7,590,      6,723         Commercial 

,822         ,725            UEFA Solidarity & Prize Money
    ,792        1,023        Other income

-------------------------------------------
74,733     74,302 Group turnoverI would suggest that pretty much all of the above will be roughly what they have been bar the obvios TV income, which is faily minimal in the ChampionshipHowever we do get £23m parachute paymentWages will be reduced by both contract agreement and some of the high earners possibly leavingNo major debt repaymentsPossible net gain on transfer spendingFor this season we look to be in an exceedingly good position finance wise

If we get straight back up we won''t be any worse off, the problems will start in a couple of years if we are still down here

parachute payment drops by £7m the season after this ie in season 2015/16then by another £8m the season after

We should have adopted an unashamedly short term approach to promotion this season. Unfortunately, we seem to have embraced the notion of being competitive in the Championship without even a nod towards the fact that the coming season represents our best, and probably only, chance of promotion for many years to come. So, financial constraint will come to the fore in 12 months time at which point we shall also lose any of our remaining top players.

[quote user="City1st"]Looking at the figures below how much worse off will we be this season as opposed to the 3 seasons in the PL (figures not available for season ending 2014) ..... figures after comma are in millions

2013         2012

11,669   11,338            Gate receipts and ticket sales
   49,032    48,525           Broadcasting (FA & League income)
     ,335       ,405          Media 
  4,513    4,314           Catering
 7,590,      6,723         Commercial 

,822         ,725            UEFA Solidarity & Prize Money
    ,792        1,023        Other income

-------------------------------------------
74,733     74,302 Group turnoverI would suggest that pretty much all of the above will be roughly what they have been bar the obvios TV income, which is faily minimal in the ChampionshipHowever we do get £23m parachute paymentWages will be reduced by both contract agreement and some of the high earners possibly leavingNo major debt repaymentsPossible net gain on transfer spendingFor this season we look to be in an exceedingly good position finance wise

[/quote]The crucial Premier League cash payment figures (for broadcasting and final league position) for 2013-14 are available. Because this was the first year of the new mega TV deal we were paid £64.5m compared with £46.0m for 2012-13. So our turnover figure is likely to be in the region of £95m rather than around the £75m mark of the first two Premier League seasons. Any assessment of how much financially worse off we will be needs to be measured against that £95m figure.

[quote user="City1st"]For this season we look to be in an exceedingly good position finance wise[/quote]

The three seasons in the premiership were quite a lot more painful than some expected in terms of results/performances/development, but at least financially, they have set us up to be in the position that most clubs would envy.   That, if nothing else should help the long term prospects for the club.  Over may years we have been poor in the scheme of things and under Roeder and the loan era, we were beginning to look down and out, weighed under with debt.  

Only five years later we are a completely different club.  Successful and forward looking - and despite setbacks we still have many reasons to feel positive   (if we want to feel positive.........)

I remember reading once that the championship is the 6th best supported league in Europe in terms of gross attendance at stadia. This suggests to me that a lot of people would be interested in watching this league - Im surprised there isnt a bigger TV deal. With the rebranding of the leagues, its not so much felt to be a second tier as it used to be (of course it still is, but it rather has its own identity). With the Premier League having been lambasted for being boring, uncompetitive and resulting in negative football from the teams outside the top 6 or 7, and the traditional game being much more profilgate in the Championship, I think there would be a lot of people in the UK interested in these games, and with the proper marketing, it could have a greqater global appeal than it currently does. Does anyone agree with me that the championship could have a lot more potential with regards to its TV exposure?

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]I remember reading once that the championship is the 6th best supported league in Europe in terms of gross attendance at stadia. This suggests to me that a lot of people would be interested in watching this league - Im surprised there isnt a bigger TV deal. With the rebranding of the leagues, its not so much felt to be a second tier as it used to be (of course it still is, but it rather has its own identity). With the Premier League having been lambasted for being boring, uncompetitive and resulting in negative football from the teams outside the top 6 or 7, and the traditional game being much more profilgate in the Championship, I think there would be a lot of people in the UK interested in these games, and with the proper marketing, it could have a greqater global appeal than it currently does. Does anyone agree with me that the championship could have a lot more potential with regards to its TV exposure?[/quote]Is there really a demand for more football on television? I have no idea but my impression is that we are at or close to saturation point because if people want to they can already pretty much watch football round the clock.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]I remember reading once that the championship is the 6th best supported league in Europe in terms of gross attendance at stadia. This suggests to me that a lot of people would be interested in watching this league - Im surprised there isnt a bigger TV deal. With the rebranding of the leagues, its not so much felt to be a second tier as it used to be (of course it still is, but it rather has its own identity). With the Premier League having been lambasted for being boring, uncompetitive and resulting in negative football from the teams outside the top 6 or 7, and the traditional game being much more profilgate in the Championship, I think there would be a lot of people in the UK interested in these games, and with the proper marketing, it could have a greqater global appeal than it currently does. Does anyone agree with me that the championship could have a lot more potential with regards to its TV exposure?[/quote]Is there really a demand for more football on television? I have no idea but my impression is that we are at or close to saturation point because if people want to they can already pretty much watch football round the clock.[/quote]

Better football rather than more football.   Coverage geared to what people want to watch.  Every league  game from prem to L2  should  be available live to those who want to watch it and are prepared to pay for it.      I would happily pay  for a channel where I could watch every Norwich game live, but I refuse to pay for sports channels where I don''t get good coverage of my own team.   I don''t think it would affect attendances that much, if people would rather stay at home than go to matches, then they probably would do that now, anyway.   There must be thousands of people who can''t go to matches every week, for whatever reason, who would relish such a thing and would be prepared to pay for it. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]I remember reading once that the championship is the 6th best supported league in Europe in terms of gross attendance at stadia. This suggests to me that a lot of people would be interested in watching this league - Im surprised there isnt a bigger TV deal. With the rebranding of the leagues, its not so much felt to be a second tier as it used to be (of course it still is, but it rather has its own identity). With the Premier League having been lambasted for being boring, uncompetitive and resulting in negative football from the teams outside the top 6 or 7, and the traditional game being much more profilgate in the Championship, I think there would be a lot of people in the UK interested in these games, and with the proper marketing, it could have a greqater global appeal than it currently does. Does anyone agree with me that the championship could have a lot more potential with regards to its TV exposure?[/quote]

Is there really a demand for more football on television? I have no idea but my impression is that we are at or close to saturation point because if people want to they can already pretty much watch football round the clock.
[/quote]

Better football rather than more football.   Coverage geared to what people want to watch.  Every league  game from prem to L2  should  be available live to those who want to watch it and are prepared to pay for it.      I would happily pay  for a channel where I could watch every Norwich game live, but I refuse to pay for sports channels where I don''t get good coverage of my own team.   I don''t think it would affect attendances that much, if people would rather stay at home than go to matches, then they probably would do that now, anyway.   There must be thousands of people who can''t go to matches every week, for whatever reason, who would relish such a thing and would be prepared to pay for it. 

[/quote]

Triple Huzzah. [Y]