Sign in to follow this  
USA Canary

Campaign to Bring Back Martin O'Neil

I wondered how long before that O''Neill''s name came up.

Personally I think he''s the sort of manager that could take City to the next level. Tactically astute. A man who seems to get something more out of a team than the sum of it''s parts. Some would argue he''s had success at a club that has had cash to splash and in a league that many would describe as a pale imitation of the English Premiership, but we must not forget that he has managed to bring some level of success in Europe.

However, he''s left the game at the moment for personal reasons so persuading him to come back into management might well prove to be difficult.

Why would he come back?  He''s in the process of looking after his sick wife at the moment.  Also, it doesn''t sound like he particular enjoyed his last experience in Norfolk.  There is absolutely no chance of him coming back

Martin O''Neill left Celtic to look after his seriously ill wife, so it''s ridiculous to even think about him coming back here, I would also presume that Martin O''Neill would disagree with your Shankly footer & would consider football totally irrelevant to the situation he is dealing with in his life.

Martin O''Neil would be a very attractive proposition if he ever became available. To my mind the man is a genius. Unfortunately his wife is seriously ill at the moment, so he won''t be looking to return to football for a while. If you want somebody to achieve a lot with very little, he''s the one.

[quote]Three points: A) we have a manager B) O''Neil will return to a BIG 6 club. C) his time at Norwich will hardly have left him in love with us[/quote]

And (D) Vicar, why would anyone want a manager who walked out on his team the day before a cup game?.

And to manage the bloody team we were playing in that said cup game I might add!.

Ground control to Mr C .........

Martin O''Neil left one of the biggest clubs in the world in order to nurse his sick wife. He is a decent man and a fantastic manager. I have no doubt he will return to football at some time in the future, hopefully once his wife has made a full recovery. When he does so he will return to one of the big teams in england or return to Celtic and  will help that team to european triumph. I doubt he sees his time at Carrow road as anything other than a footnote on his CV and there is no unfinished business here for him, to think so is to give ourselves delusions of grandeur.

aj we were top of the league when he left if I remember,
that was sarcasm right?

Although I doubt he would come back, O''Neil fell out with Chase and the old board, not the curent one or the club in general.

Sorry but I feel that O''neill is slightly overrated anyway.  He has undeniably done well but at Leicester and Celtic he was always given something to build on.  He was given Heskey at Leicester and Larsson at Celtic to build teams around but everything he did at both clubs was very shortsighted.  When he left Leicester and now again with Celtic he departed leaving an aging side behind and in both cases heading downhill.  He is hardly a forward thinking manager, more of a plug-the-holes man.

how can you build a team round heskey seriously
though he took leicester into europe and took
over when celtic were rubbish.

over-rated I don''t think, forward thinking I would
say certainly so, out of our depth sadly very much so.

[quote]how can you build a team round heskey seriously though he took leicester into europe and took over when celtic were rubbish. over-rated I don''t think, forward thinking I would say certainly so, out ...[/quote]

totally agree ritch, if we were in the premiership he might jump at the chance of a challenge, but unfourtuantly i very strongly doubt he would settle for a second tier club.

ill stick with worthington for now....... as to be honest who is there to replace him with?

[quote]how can you build a team round heskey seriously though he took leicester into europe and took over when celtic were rubbish. over-rated I don''t think, forward thinking I would say certainly so, out ...[/quote]

Rich,

I am not denying he has done well and he is a very good manager but I still feel he is overrated. 

Leicester went right down the plug hole when he left and it wasn''t just because he left.  What he left behind was a team/squad were a lot of the key players were the wrong side of thirty.

Celtic had won the league two seasons before he took over and they were hardly rubbish.  Larsson was garenteed to score 30 goals a season and he was injured for the entire season before O''neill took over.  Look at this way Rich, Celtic and Larsson won the SPL without O''neill but O''neill and Celtic could not win the SPL without Larsson.  Again he left Celtic with an old team with the likes of Hartson, Sutton and Thomson all at the wrong end of their careers. 

He has left no legacy at any club he has been at and for that I don''t rate him as highly as others do.  There are few better than O''neill for tactics and player motivation but he does very little for the future development of a club.  A GREAT manager does it all, if Ferguson left Man U tomorrow they would be well set up for the future and that is his legacy.  It was that same with Norwich, Ken Browns influence on the club continued long after he left and part of reason we went into Europe was down to his transfer dealings.  O''neill brought success to Celtic but he has left them no better than when he took over.