Sign in to follow this  
swjf50

Becchio or Wolfswinkel

If we are to keep one of them, which one would you be inclined to keep?

Becchio obviously has a good track record in the Championship and can be a target man. Wolfswinkel on the other hand has no experience in this division and I''m not sure whether he could rough it enough. In the Premiership he wasn''t at all effective as a lone striker or target man, so in view of this I''d keep Becchio at least until January and loan the Wolf on a 3 or 4 month deal.

I would love to see Becchio given a chance to prove himself. Though I think the club has completely disrespected him and I doubt he''s very enamoured with either the club or the supporters - I think it would be best for both parties if he left.

I would much rather see Wolfswinkel succeed in a Canaries shirt. He''s 5 years younger, and I would be over the moon for him to start scoring for us. I''m hoping that the Championship will allow us to play two strikers up front. I wouldn''t be heartbroken if we went, but I would be more sad than if Becchio left.

Regardless, we have Loza and Carlton Morris!

My heart agrees with Casey, would love Wolfswinkel to resurrect his reputation in the Championship, but my head says Becchio is a safer bet.

Hopefully we don''t have to choose between them!

I would keep all the current strikers if they can be persuaded, and give them all an equal chance from the start of the season. I would probably begin with Hooper and Becchio due to Becchio''s height, and the fact they are both proven in the Championship. But I would give Grabban and RVW plenty of chances to impress, and Loza some chances but not as much yet.

As has been mentioned before, it''s midfield and defence we need to improve more urgently.

Still need a creative player, and a better RB and another CB.

I think Steve Sidwell would be a good signing for the Number 10/Creative player.. just give him a 2 year contract.

Sidwell has gone to Stoke.

I don''t know why Becchio and RvW couldn''t be a potential partnership? Becchio has the guile to get stuck in, run around, win headers and get the odd goal and RvW we''re lead to believe is a potential world class poacher!

In what world is Sidwell a number 10, play maker, off the striker. Never in a million years, even tho hes gone Stoke anyway.

I predict a starting lineup of Grabben and another newbie.Hooper and Loza as back up.

Becchio will go as will RVW on loan imo. Hooper may wish to leave but he could only really go back to the SPL after last season. Whether his fault or not no one will be queuing up from the Prem.

The two managers last season apparently didn''t see Becchio as a useful striker, despite the failure of the other strikers. They presumably see more of the player, in training, etc,. That was judging him as a Premiership player.

The two questions to be answered are:

1) Who is the more likely to do well in the Championship?

This is difficult to answer. Becchio has played there before, but Leeds willingly swapped him to sign Morison. RvW has never played in the Championship. If marking is not so tight and defences slower, could he do well? Things could be very different if Snoddy goes and we find find we have two pacey wingers, say Redders and Josh playing on their natural sides, and if Adams can get the team to service strikers properly.

2) In the event that we are promoted, who would serve us better in the Premiership? Becchio has played only a few minutes, without looking likely to score, while RvW has failed over a longer period. If the latter could regain confidence, with us or on loan, then he could be a much better player and worth keeping.Twelve months ago many experts were saying that Hughton had made a coup, so RvW must have something.

There are two many unknowns. Two probabilities are that we shall receive no reasonable offer for either. It could cost us more to sell RvW with his recent failure. We would have to write-off a great deal, but if there is a chance of him being restored, then....

Salopian - Leeds didn''t willingly sell / swap Becchio. The player forced the move. Leeds wanted to retain him. Not surprising given he scored 20 goals before Christmas before moving to us in the January.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]I''d keep Ricky. Just to see what he can do.[/quote]

haven''t we seen enough of what he can do over the last 9 months??

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]I''d keep Ricky. Just to see what he can do.[/quote]

Me too.  Could be a revelation after a break, coming to the new season with something to prove, an attacking manager and a reputation to restore.  I will think less of him if he cuts and runs - imo the best thing he could for himself, his self-esteem and confidence is stay and show everyone what he can do - and he is still technically an excellent finisher.  

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YellowNets1901"]I''d keep Ricky. Just to see what he can do.[/quote]

Me too.  Could be a revelation after a break, coming to the new season with something to prove, an attacking manager and a reputation to restore.  I will think less of him if he cuts and runs - imo the best thing he could for himself, his self-esteem and confidence is stay and show everyone what he can do - and he is still technically an excellent finisher.[/quote]What a strange chap you are LDC. You''ve repeatedly said you want Snoddy sold (one of our best players over the last two seasons), and yet you want to keep RVW who has failed miserably. Do you really mean these things or do you say them just to get a reaction? [^o)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YellowNets1901"]I''d keep Ricky. Just to see what he can do.[/quote]Me too.  Could be a revelation after a break, coming to the new season with something to prove, an attacking manager and a reputation to restore.  I will think less of him if he cuts and runs - imo the best thing he could for himself, his self-esteem and confidence is stay and show everyone what he can do - and he is still technically an excellent finisher.[/quote]What a strange chap you are LDC. You''ve repeatedly said you want Snoddy sold (one of our best players over the last two seasons), and yet you want to keep RVW who has failed miserably. Do you really mean these things or do you say them just to get a reaction? [^o)][/quote]

If I wanted a reaction I would be disagreeing with Yellownets, because I usually do.  I post what I think.   I don''t think Snoddy is inclusive enough in the way he plays football. Its all about him, at the expense of others in the team .    It is plain that RVW is an excellent technical finisher and I would love to see him score for Norwich and redeem himself.   Snoddy could redeem himself too - by showing a little more awareness of players around him and getting the ball in the box earlier.   Of the two, I think RVW is more likely to succeed in those respects, than Snoddy.   Simples.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YellowNets1901"]I''d keep Ricky. Just to see what he can do.[/quote]

Me too.  Could be a revelation after a break, coming to the new season with something to prove, an attacking manager and a reputation to restore.  I will think less of him if he cuts and runs - imo the best thing he could for himself, his self-esteem and confidence is stay and show everyone what he can do - and he is still technically an excellent finisher.  

[/quote]
''Just to see'', ''could be'' - have a look at our August fixtures, there''s no time for these ''what if'' fantasies. We need to be playing proven Championship goalscorers from the first match and out of Grabban, Hooper, Becchio and RVW, RVW is the only one who doesn''t fit that description.

Keep both, this is their level and can shine. Why waste cash risking failure when its midfield creativity and incision that was missing and really needs the overhaul??