Sign in to follow this  
Surfer

Australia remind me of Lambert's Norwich.

Very entertaining game V Holland. Quite apart from the similarity of the kit, they are making full use of their limited skills by taking the game to the Dutch. It feels just like Arsenal v City in our first premier league season, and that was a hell of a goal too.

Wow, that so easily could have been 3-2, instead 30 sec later it''s 2-3 to Holland.

they don''t remind me of Hughton''s Norwichas they are actually tackling the Dutch and closing them down .... they even move off the ball when they have possessionnor do they give the Dutch three or four touches on the ball when they are just outside of the box

We''ll played that team in yellow. Hope we''ll see some of that next season.

Unlucky Australia, indeed - had the draw not catered for African sides the former might''ve garnered more success with their quality and spirit.

Been a fantastic competition thus far.

We were so unlucky.Very proud of the boys in yellow last night. Took it to Holland. Timmy Cahill''s goal was a cracker. 

Hopefully we will all be saying that at the end of next season with promotion back to premier

There were 2 major issues with that Australian performance. 
The first was the height of their defensive line. I know Australia are a side that look to press intensely and high up the pitch and this means that the defensive line naturally shifts up, but it has lead to issues in both group games so far where sides have shown that if you can beat the midfield press then their defensive line is very vulnerable to the through-ball. I think Australia need to be a bit more conservative in their pressing at times, not abandon it entirely, but tweak it slightly in order to provide their defence with a little more protection.
Secondly, Australia are a ''crossing'' team. They play with alot of width and with very advanced wide players who look to beat their man and put in early crosses for the striker to attack. The issue isn''t so much that they play like this, it obviously works for them, but more what can they offer apart from this? I think we all remember that Man Utd./Fulham game where Man Utd. attempted something like 80 crosses but only scored one goal. Australia can''t become that, they need to offer variety beyond their (admittedly very good) wing-play. 
However, despite these issues, I''ve been impressed with the job that Ange Postecoglou has done in such a (relatively) short amount of time for an international manager. Are there issues? Yes, most certainally, but I think he is smart enough to realise that, whilst high pressing is effective, occasionally you need to sit a little deeper, and his indulgence of central attacking midfielders indicates (to me) that he is very aware of the need to ''mix it up'' in attack beyond the use of crosses and pull-backs.

was a cracking game and in the end decided by 3 errors from aussie players - in the build up to the dutch equaliser a player failed to head the ball while it was on the ground (was it nelson who tried (and succeeded) that for us) when easier to kick allowing the through ball for RvP.

Then at 2-2 the Oz decided to try and score the wc first chested goal rather than attacking a great cross with his head, instead giving the keeper a safe back pass.

Finally the keeper for the winner - simply oh dear.

All three showed great spirit can take you so far, but if you are not technically good enough its unlikely you will win. Quality matters