Sign in to follow this  
MancCanary

Chile's performance tonight

.. has been great. I know Spain are lacking confidence, but the way Chile are playing is just brilliant. Exactly the way I would like City to play. They''re making up for the difference in quality by working far, far harder than their opponents, and working for each other so well. They win the ball back so easily that it gives them the confidence to take risks and bomb forward, supporting each other in attack as much as they do in defence.

Turns out the manager is a Bielsa protege - not surprising really!

I await Wizs comments on this game... proves anything can happen no matter what players you may have in your team, manager you have, how you play. It''s a funny old game and bloody enjoyable to watch. He''s never a football fan!

I agree that was an excellent Chile performance and they did work hard and you can see why many of us made them a dark horse for the tournament. BUT.....I saw the result more down to Spain''s poor performance, really did........from the start they were poor, didnt appear to have belief, did not look like they were capable of creating many opportunities and didnt appear to have a "plan B"......yes this is the great Spain team who appeared invincible not that long ago....... 

It shows that the mechanistic way they like to play only works if the machine is 100% functioning well - and shows that although impressive to watch when working at its best, it is not fundamentally exciting to watch - as many of us have said in the past.   Tikka takka is gone - long live real football! 

Maybe a little over-simplistic, but Spain reminded me of Hughton''s Norwich. Plenty of sideways passing, attempts to play the ball wide that break down, no end product, coupled with when they did get the odd chance it ,was missed horrendously. Oh, and let''s not forget that they always had a catastrophic defensive error in them. And even at 2-0 down no real change of emphasis. Mind you, John Ruddy is a far better goalkeeper than Iker Casillas.......

Even with minutes remaining and a minimum of two goals required, Spain could not alter their tactics and still knocked it about in the middle and back.

Chile are a breath of fresh air. No fear in the managers tactics and a pace and aggression in conditions that apparently don''t allow you to do that. No signs of them being knackered after 30 minutes.

I really hope they beat the Dutch and get a kind draw. I would like to see more of them and their refreshing attitude that has restored my faith and belief that the good guys should always win and that attacking football, especially in the World Cup, is the only real football worth watching.

Any chance of Vargas being on our wanted list?

Most football fans like the high pressing game, quick passing and an attacking mentality rather than the Tikka takka football. I certainly hope Norwich play like it next year, especially the ''get your foot in'' attitude rather than stand off and cover.

I don''t really like tiki taka, but there''s no way it''s dead. For a start, Spain played nothing even half resembling it last night.

[quote user="splutcho"]I don''t really like tiki taka, but there''s no way it''s dead. For a start, Spain played nothing even half resembling it last night.[/quote]Erm...if that''s the case,Splutch, ie the arch-exponent of it is not playing it any more,all the more reason to think that it could be on its way out then ?

And even if Chile finish second, I wouldn''t write them off against Brazil, who have been poor.

Could be some tasty second round matches from these groups.

Brazil/Chile

Netherlands/Croatia or Mexico (Who have both been excellent)

Apparently they have been inspired by the miners who survived being stuck underground for so long.

They have buried some of the soil from that mine at their training camp to remind them each day of it and have had pep talks from the survivors before games. Seems to be working.

More than just a hard working team though. First goal was beautiful.

I made a bold prediction before the tournament started that spain wouldn''t get out of the group...

I''m going to make another one now... if Chile beat Brazil they will win the world cup... Belief, Spirit and more importantly momentum...

I''m not the only person to have said it too.

So will we be the Chile next season... or the Spain that all the Championship Chiles want to pepper?

Only time, and message board idlers, will tell.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Maybe a little over-simplistic, but Spain reminded me of Hughton''s Norwich. Plenty of sideways passing, attempts to play the ball wide that break down, no end product, coupled with when they did get the odd chance it ,was missed horrendously. Oh, and let''s not forget that they always had a catastrophic defensive error in them. And even at 2-0 down no real change of emphasis. Mind you, John Ruddy is a far better goalkeeper than Iker Casillas.......[/quote]

You''re right Reggie. And I think the over-riding similarity between the two teams is a lack of confidence. It''s amazing how important confidence is in sport and in football. It makes you unable to do simple things like kick the ball straight, catch a ball (Casillas) or look for your teammate before just passing it (see Wolfswinkel''s "moment" last season)!

[quote user="GenerationA47"]

So will we be the Chile next season... or the Spain that all the Championship Chiles want to pepper?

Only time, and message board idlers, will tell.[/quote]

We could always pretend to shut some supporters down  Grimes Graves flint mines,  then pretend to rescue them, then we could all pretend to be positive about it......after all, we don''t seem to do positive for real......

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

I made a bold prediction before the tournament started that spain wouldn''t get out of the group...

[/quote]I made a bold prediction about Spain too Jas.....they''d win the World Cup !!Expected the Aussies to be heading for a dead rubber Group game. But not against Spain [:$]