Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

End of the coming season - two scenarios

Given that the second scenario you have proffered has us not even making the play offs I''m guessing we are supposed to pick the first one?

Did I get it right? What do I win?

[quote user="lake district canary"] The reason for discussing/arguing  is to try and influence what other people think

[/quote]

I suppose I will be told I have taken this out of context but to me it looks like a form of lecture.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="lake district canary"] The reason for discussing/arguing  is to try and influence what other people think [/quote]

I suppose I will be told I have taken this out of context but to me it looks like a form of lecture.

[/quote]

Whatever you want to think, but what is the point in coming on here if not to influence the debate?  Do people really want things to be their way and their way only?   If I disagree with people  - as I do on this farcical question of people saying they will only give Adams 10 - 15 games to decide his worth, then I will say so and that is the purpose of this thread.    If you don''t agree, say so or if people don''t like the thread, they can ignore it. 

Its a fair question in my book.  There are many different scenarios that could happen, but the two I''ve put out on here are quite possible scenarios (with admittedly some colourful detail, such as the Fulham game) - but they are not way out or even unlikely.   We want promotion - and that happens in April/May - not September or October.   The last thing I want to see for our club is a repetition of the Hughton stuff where fans started getting  negative very early on, but it seems as if that is what people want to do - apparently going to judge after a 1/4 of the season.   Its utterly ridiculous.

Lecture over ( for now [;)] ) 

... What is this?For the sake of argument, even as an uninformed layman i can think of plenty of occasions teams have sustained a position at the top end of the table from near enough the start, such as Leicester, QPR, Newcastle, Reading (on a couple of occasions in the past decade) and Wolves. Then it doesn''t always happen. But then sometimes it does happen....This conversation is so profoundly meaningless - i''m feeling an acute sense of both guilt and regret having spent the time writing this as i''m writing it.Just, ugh....

I find it utterly ridiculous that some people such as yourself would be fine if we lost every game in the first 1/4 of the season and wouldn''t question why, yet i''m not going to create thread after thread lecturing people and questioning why they would give Adams the whole season if we were mid table the whole time.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I find it utterly ridiculous that some people such as yourself would be fine if we lost every game in the first 1/4 of the season and wouldn''t question why, yet i''m not going to create thread after thread lecturing people and questioning why they would give Adams the whole season if we were mid table the whole time.[/quote]

That isn''t what I have said. I''ve said if we are not near the top in mid season, it doesn''t mean we won''t be by the end of it. Its not particularly clever or original, its just a concept  people don''t want to think about because they want to be top the whole season, but its a season of 46 games and all sorts of things will happen during it - that''s why football is exciting.If people want the certainty of being top from the beginning of the season,  all they will get is disappointment  if it doesn''t happen - and that only leads to more negativity - and haven''t we had enough negativity over the last two years, on and off the pitch?

[quote user="mrs miggins"]So basically this thread is just a load of hot air[/quote]

To quote Talking Heads;

Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...

[quote user="mrs miggins"]So basically this thread is just a load of hot air[/quote]

[:D][:D]

It''s been quite obvious for some time that poor Lakey wants to be thought of as Norman Vincent Peale when, based upon his inputs on this forum, he''s simply the kid you sit in the corner at Christmas time and give him the job of blowing air into the balloons. Obviously, he''s adapted to his training very well.

The bit I still don''t get is LDC''s refusal to accept the board and management at the club have expectations and aspirations, and that Adams will be moved on pretty sharpish if it looks like those expectations are not being met.It''s one thing to lecture supporters re: not having expectations and "just enjoying the season whatever happens", but this is a multi-million pound business (with a lot of shareholder and director money locked up within it) and not some park kickabout with jumpers for goalposts.  Success matters.

I now firmly believe LDC is nothing more than a Troll - perhaps not even an NCFC fan.

He''s a weird troll though. Half his stuff makes no sense - certainly not in logical terms.

Nevermind.

[quote user="hogesar"]I now firmly believe LDC is nothing more than a Troll - perhaps not even an NCFC fan.

He''s a weird troll though. Half his stuff makes no sense - certainly not in logical terms.

Nevermind.[/quote]

Hogwash.

Herman wrote the following post at 18/06/2014 7:29 PM:

To quote Talking Heads;

Same as it ever was...

Same as it ever was...

Same as it ever was...

Same as it ever was...

---------------------------------------------------

Psycho Killer, and what a tune that is may I add. That music video for ''Once in a Lifetime'' sure is weird though.

hogesar wrote the following post at 18/06/2014 8:04 PM:

I now firmly believe LDC is nothing more than a Troll - perhaps not even an NCFC fan.

He''s a weird troll though

-----------------------------------------------------

Thats not very nice, but I have to say LDC, you do bring a lot of it on yourself

[quote user="mrs miggins"]hogesar wrote the following post at 18/06/2014 8:04 PM:

He''s a weird troll though

-----------------------------------------------------

Thats not very nice, but I have to say LDC, you do bring a lot of it on yourself[/quote]

Its a simple thread.   No one appears to support it so I must have got it wrong.  But the question is there - do we have to be successful from the beginning of the season, or can it happen later in the season.   A season that builds rather than one that threatens to run out of steam because we peak too soon?    I know what I want - promotion - and I think we are more likely to get it if we control our emotions and not get carried away with expectation too soon.      46 games, not 15, or 20 or even 30.   46    So why is that such a controversial viewpoint?  

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="mrs miggins"]hogesar wrote the following post at 18/06/2014 8:04 PM: I now firmly believe LDC is nothing more than a Troll - perhaps not even an NCFC fan. He''s a weird troll though ----------------------------------------------------- Thats not very nice, but I have to say LDC, you do bring a lot of it on yourself[/quote]

Its a simple thread.   No one appears to support it so I must have got it wrong.  But the question is there - do we have to be successful from the beginning of the season, or can it happen later in the season.   A season that builds rather than one that threatens to run out of steam because we peak too soon?    I know what I want - promotion - and I think we are more likely to get it if we control our emotions and not get carried away with expectation too soon.      46 games, not 15, or 20 or even 30.   46    So why is that such a controversial viewpoint?  

[/quote]

Lakey, you really  do give yourself far too much credit. In order for a viewpoint to be controversial it needs subject matter that is worthy of a debate. Despite almost everyone indicating to you that this drivel you generate is not worthy of debate you plough on  ( as you did with the Hughton saga ) as if it''s everyone else missing the point.

Why don''t you take a rest old son instead of constantly generating threads to demonstrate your own sense of self importance. My prescription would be for you to take a three month break without generating any threads. Simply respond to good threads started by others. You could then offer persuasive input and reach for that brass ring that currently seems to elude you at every opportunity, i.e. in your own words, to successfully influence others.  

Another scenario: the failure to appoint an experienced manager leads to the loss of our best players, Snodgrass and Hooper, during the transfer window who otherwise would have stayed due to the influence of the alternate manager and the fact that promotion was perceived to be a realistic possibility; we bumble along mid-table and eventually finish 13th. It is argued by many on this board that being competitive in the Championship is all we should aspire to. Our remaining top players leave in the close season in a year''s time. The management team is replaced and the club choose an experienced Championship manager. The money is all gone.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Another scenario: the failure to appoint an experienced manager leads to the loss of our best players, Snodgrass and Hooper, during the transfer window who otherwise would have stayed due to the influence of the alternate manager and the fact that promotion was perceived to be a realistic possibility; we bumble along mid-table and eventually finish 13th. It is argued by many on this board that being competitive in the Championship is all we should aspire to. Our remaining top players leave in the close season in a year''s time. The management team is replaced and the club choose an experienced Championship manager. The money is all gone.[/quote]Careful, Highland. You''ll have the happy clappers like LDC, Nige, TC/Morty (or whatever he''s calling himself this week) down on you like a ton of bricks for ''talking the club down, ''being miserable/negative'', or some such drivel.I''d like to think that the scenario you allude to will not happen. Frankly, I don''t think it will, but it''s certainly not beyond the realms of possibility.Which is yet another illustration of how ridiculous it was of Lake to start this thread with only 2 possible outcomes on offer.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Highland Canary"]Another scenario: the failure to appoint an experienced manager leads to the loss of our best players, Snodgrass and Hooper, during the transfer window who otherwise would have stayed due to the influence of the alternate manager and the fact that promotion was perceived to be a realistic possibility; we bumble along mid-table and eventually finish 13th. It is argued by many on this board that being competitive in the Championship is all we should aspire to. Our remaining top players leave in the close season in a year''s time. The management team is replaced and the club choose an experienced Championship manager. The money is all gone.[/quote]

Careful, Highland. You''ll have the happy clappers like LDC, Nige, TC/Morty (or whatever he''s calling himself this week) down on you like a ton of bricks for ''talking the club down, ''being miserable/negative'', or some such drivel.

I''d like to think that the scenario you allude to will not happen. Frankly, I don''t think it will, but it''s certainly not beyond the realms of possibility.

Which is yet another illustration of how ridiculous it was of Lake to start this thread with only 2 possible outcomes on offer.
[/quote]

Now that is funny, your displaying signs of paranoia.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]This is a ridiculously stupid thread by LDC. Pathetic. Get out more.[/quote]

Pathetic, maybe, should get out more, maybe, but the most ridiculous thing is the quality of the replies. Maybe there are quite a few who need to get out more......keep to the topic of the thread or ignore it.   It wasn''t contentious, it asked a question that is all.  No-one wanted to answer it - I have no problem with that - the replies there have been, though, have been fairly predictable.  

[quote user="lake district canary"].  No-one wanted to answer it - I have no problem with that - the replies there have been, though, have been fairly predictable.  

[/quote]If that''s the case LDC, and you knew in advance what the reaction would be,then why bother to start the thread in the first place?

LDC what you are really displaying is how extremely boring it is during the close season and how you feel you have to try to find something to post about.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]LDC what you are really displaying is how extremely boring it is during the close season and how you feel you have to try to find something to post about.[/quote]

Could be, but I live in hope that if  I start a thread, however lecturious, tedious or repetitive, that it will be either be answered or ignored.  The trolling/dismantling that some appear to delight in is just a symptom of the sad lives that some people seem to lead.  I don''t mind being ignored - I like it if people respond to the thread with argument or discussion - the rest is just background noise. 

OK, so I''m going to treat this on face value although my first reaction was not dissimilar to some others. One also has to make an assumption that people want to be close to the top all season, which is what LDC seems to be saying- I''ll neither agree nor disagree but treat it as a proposition.

If it is true that people want to be top all season then the reason is really quite simple, I would suggest. Being close to the top all season means that the team is doing well. It increases the chance of promotion and indicates wew are on the right track.

Starting badly indicates things are going wrong and an intervention may be needed. Any period of poor form is an indicator that there might be an issue somewhere.

Of course neither means that the end result is guaranteed, it is possible to start badly and roar through or start well and fall away.

But the big lesson from the Hughton era is that you must take the evidence before you and act promptly on it. LDC was amongst a number of people arguing that those taking this evidence based approach were not supporting the club properly. Of course the opposite was true and that has now been admitted by the current board- they did not act soon enough. The indicators were there, time and time again.

So we all want City promoted again (I assume) and this is more likely if we start well, continue well and finish well. Anything else means that action is needed and that is not a good thing. Am I missing something?

The problem for me LDC is this seems like creating a thread for the sake of creating a thread - the content is pointless.

Trying to answer seriously, the reality is there are so many different scenarios that picking out 2 is ludicrous.

The other stark reality is it won''t just be results that determine fan pressure. If we play well the opening 5 games, but only win 2, and draw 1 - i don''t think too many will be shouting from the rooftops to get NA out.

If we play terribly the opening 5 games, get 1 win, 2 draws and 2 losses i can guarantee there will be some immediately calling for change.

Hughton got it VERY easy with the fans - despite what you say. It took that dreadful West Brom game for fans to finally react in unison - After well over a year of torrid performances, and poor results to match.