Sign in to follow this  
Oz Canary

Southampton & Koeman

[quote user="hertfordyellow"]OK I thought you were trying to say there were lots available in January.[/quote]No. Not in the slightest. I was making exactly the opposite point. Suggesting that three of the four clubs that changed in mid-season had to take the risk of going overseas - with the fourth promoting from within - precisely because they couldn''t find someone home-grown. I actually believe Delia was right when she said the options in January were very limited, and that was a factor in keeping Hughton.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="hertfordyellow"]OK I thought you were trying to say there were lots available in January.[/quote]

No. Not in the slightest. I was making exactly the opposite point. Suggesting that three of the four clubs that changed in mid-season had to take the risk of going overseas - with the fourth promoting from within - precisely because they couldn''t find someone home-grown. I actually believe Delia was right when she said the options in January were very limited, and that was a factor in keeping Hughton.
[/quote]

Heretic!

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="hertfordyellow"]OK I thought you were trying to say there were lots available in January.[/quote]No. Not in the slightest. I was making exactly the opposite point. Suggesting that three of the four clubs that changed in mid-season had to take the risk of going overseas - with the fourth promoting from within - precisely because they couldn''t find someone home-grown. I actually believe Delia was right when she said the options in January were very limited, and that was a factor in keeping Hughton.[/quote]

Heretic!

[/quote]Oh, I have said worse than that! I have praised Doncaster. And attacked McNally. And then defended him...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="hertfordyellow"]OK I thought you were trying to say there were lots available in January.[/quote]

No. Not in the slightest. I was making exactly the opposite point. Suggesting that three of the four clubs that changed in mid-season had to take the risk of going overseas - with the fourth promoting from within - precisely because they couldn''t find someone home-grown. I actually believe Delia was right when she said the options in January were very limited, and that was a factor in keeping Hughton.
[/quote]

Heretic!

[/quote]

Oh, I have said worse than that! I have praised Doncaster. And attacked McNally. And then defended him...

[/quote]

I would imagine that a funeral pyre with your name on it is being constructed on Mousehold!

[quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="Oz Canary"]

[quote user="Buh"]Op is just another knobhead ex-pat that watches a stream and think that entitles him to an opinion. Yawn![/quote]

Buh, obviously the verbal and written word isn''t a strength of yours.

My point was not that Koeman would take us on now after being relegated but more if Hughton was sacked when he should have been, November or December, I find it almost impossible to believe that some quality manager would not have wanted to take the job on.

And with regards to your statement about being an ex-pat. What''s that got to do with anything. Please don''t be so ignorant it makes you look ridiculous and small minded.

[/quote] But who OZ canary? Who? Most decent managers want to access all possibilities, pick a club and have a pre-season to mold things together. What a lot of people in this thread are arguing is that there wasn''t this pool of talented coaches available and willing to take on the role. Ronald Koeman would not take on that job in January I''m confident of that. Who do you think we missed out on?[/quote]

Hertford, I''m not entirely sure but Di Matteo was available, Steve Clarke, Laudrup, Zola and that doesn''t bring into account any overseas based manager. I''m not saying that they would have saved us from relegation but to say that no-one was available I think is rubbish and I think all of those would have been an immediate improvement from Hughton. Why is it that other teams can make changes, shake things up and some twice in a season and we can''t seem to make a definitive decision until the last 5 weeks of the season. For the board, Delia or McNally to sit there and watch results and our league position slip slowly away without doing anything proactive to stop the decline is the height of naivity and stupidity. You would have to had to have been blind Freddy to not realise that it was not working by late November /early December last year. Supporters where grumbling, NCFC blogs & podcasts were full of discontent with not only the poor results but Hughton''s lack of strategy, team choices being poor etc.

I also think it''s interesting that when McNally first arrived at Carrow Road he obviously surveyed the situation at the club, let Gunny take control of the first team. However, as soon as that first game against Colchester was done, McNally took control, replaced Gunn with Lambert. It all happened at lightening speed, which is what someone in his position is supposed to do. Fast forward to last year, he did nothing, let Hughton roll-on game after game, poor result after poor result. It seems to me that that was out of character for him. It then raises the question for me that maybe it wasn''t McNally so much but maybe Delia, Bowkett & the board were slow to react to the obviousness of the situation which again raises one of my original points that not having any "football people" at board level is stifling us.

Maybe it''s because I''m an expat (as pointed out by one of our less literate fellow so-called supporters) and as such, am not on the ground in Norfolk, but to me there seems to be a massive disconnect between the fans and the club and particulary the board at the moment. Am I wrong??

Obviously, we will support Neil Adam''s and the boys but if the results are not positive immediately the board are going to have some big problems.

OZ - looking back, sticking with Hughton didn''t work out, we left it too late, it''s plain to see. If Adams had 8-10 more games would we have stayed up? maybe but you can''t tell.

I think it''s incredibly harsh to look back with hindsight and say we should have changed in January because a) our situation (read league position) was fine even though the performances were poor. And b) I reject this idea that there were quality coaches available to come in, willing to come in mid season who would want to come here.

Di matteo is still getting paid by Chelsea to sit by the pool in the Italian lakes region, he wasn''t going to come back to Norwich and lose that gravy train. Laudrup, not even going to dignify that with an answer. Steve Clarke, is his record worthy of the task? certainly not as good as Hughtons. Zola is a failed coach, why would you even consider him for the job? is he still out of work?

As for the "other" clubs finding foreign coaches, well how did that work out? as Purple pointed out, these were huge risks and they had to take these risks because there wasn''t anyone locally that stood out as a solution. Look at the appointments by West Brom and Leeds in the last week? There isn''t this magical pool of talent now let alone in January.

[quote user="Oz Canary"][quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="Oz Canary"]

[quote user="Buh"]Op is just another knobhead ex-pat that watches a stream and think that entitles him to an opinion. Yawn![/quote]

Buh, obviously the verbal and written word isn''t a strength of yours.

My point was not that Koeman would take us on now after being relegated but more if Hughton was sacked when he should have been, November or December, I find it almost impossible to believe that some quality manager would not have wanted to take the job on.

And with regards to your statement about being an ex-pat. What''s that got to do with anything. Please don''t be so ignorant it makes you look ridiculous and small minded.

[/quote] But who OZ canary? Who? Most decent managers want to access all possibilities, pick a club and have a pre-season to mold things together. What a lot of people in this thread are arguing is that there wasn''t this pool of talented coaches available and willing to take on the role. Ronald Koeman would not take on that job in January I''m confident of that. Who do you think we missed out on?[/quote]

Hertford, I''m not entirely sure but Di Matteo was available, Steve Clarke, Laudrup, Zola and that doesn''t bring into account any overseas based manager. I''m not saying that they would have saved us from relegation but to say that no-one was available I think is rubbish and I think all of those would have been an immediate improvement from Hughton. Why is it that other teams can make changes, shake things up and some twice in a season and we can''t seem to make a definitive decision until the last 5 weeks of the season. For the board, Delia or McNally to sit there and watch results and our league position slip slowly away without doing anything proactive to stop the decline is the height of naivity and stupidity. You would have to had to have been blind Freddy to not realise that it was not working by late November /early December last year. Supporters where grumbling, NCFC blogs & podcasts were full of discontent with not only the poor results but Hughton''s lack of strategy, team choices being poor etc.

I also think it''s interesting that when McNally first arrived at Carrow Road he obviously surveyed the situation at the club, let Gunny take control of the first team. However, as soon as that first game against Colchester was done, McNally took control, replaced Gunn with Lambert. It all happened at lightening speed, which is what someone in his position is supposed to do. Fast forward to last year, he did nothing, let Hughton roll-on game after game, poor result after poor result. It seems to me that that was out of character for him. It then raises the question for me that maybe it wasn''t McNally so much but maybe Delia, Bowkett & the board were slow to react to the obviousness of the situation which again raises one of my original points that not having any "football people" at board level is stifling us.

Maybe it''s because I''m an expat (as pointed out by one of our less literate fellow so-called supporters) and as such, am not on the ground in Norfolk, but to me there seems to be a massive disconnect between the fans and the club and particulary the board at the moment. Am I wrong??

Obviously, we will support Neil Adam''s and the boys but if the results are not positive immediately the board are going to have some big problems.

[/quote]Totally different situations. In the former, which was unique in my several decades of following football, there was an obvious tipping point for sacking the manager and a suitable replacement available. And McNally, having come in from the outside, could use those factors to call for sudden change. It was a perfect set of circumstances which McNally (and Bowkett?) took advantage of.None of those factors applied last season. There was not (until West Brom) a clearcut tipping point. Nor a likely replacement. The idea that McNally has somehow beeen muzzled doesn''t stand up to scrutiny. All that happened last season was that the directors - all of them - found themselves in a situation in which there was never an obviously right thing to do.

Oz - you are being incredibly simplistic.You wrote "Hertford, I''m not entirely sure but Di Matteo was available, Steve

Clarke, Laudrup, Zola and that doesn''t bring into account any overseas

based manager."Di Matteo, as said, was/is still being paid by Chelsea. If he is going to return to management my guesses is that it would be away from the pressure of a relegation dog fight. Steve Clarke - from wiki "on 14 December 2013 Clarke was placed on gardening leave until May 2014". So that would rule him out as a candidate then. And is actually quite a shrewd move by West Brom. They didn''t terminate his contract which meant he couldn''t, for example, be employed by another club such as us, who could then go on to relegate West Brom.Laudrup - again from wiki "On 4 February 2014 Laudrup was sacked by Swansea" so no, he wasn''t available in January - not even halfway through it!Zola left his job in December 2013 with Watford in 13th in the Championship. Compared to the other names you mention, he''s probably not the best candidate of them.Another important factor to consider is that the club may well have contacted some of these candidates to sound them out for the possibility of becoming our manager - they may not have wanted to or been prepared to at that time. Zola, for example, may well have wanted to recharge his batteries. We are the only club, to my knowledge, that he has come out and said he''d be interested in managing. Which to me is as much as a statement about him wanting and being ready to go back into management as it was about our then vacancy.

I''m sorry - should I try and get back on side?You are all a bunch of poopy-panters, know-it-all-know-nothingers!That purple especially, with his use of big words and unfathomable sums, coming on here and scaring us with his sophistimacated talking.Boo-hiss, nasty smelly droopy chops the lot of you . . . . . . . Better?