Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Gerard's talk

Well it worked. Usual self defeating hypnotism telling the younger lads what it''s like going out of the World Cup. All in great detail. Defeated before the kick off in my opinion. Oh yeh, and Suarez.

To be fair he has been a great servant for England, but this was a tournament too far.

He has had a nightmare World Cup, and cost Liverpool the league with his stumble.

He probably told them to lose so that they can all get back and have a decent break before the season starts! Certainly played his part in delivering that, anyway - I don''t think I have ever seen him less effective than n the last two games.

[quote user="FCC"]To be fair he has been a great servant for England, but this was a tournament too far.

He has had a nightmare World Cup, and cost Liverpool the league with his stumble.[/quote]

I disagree about his England contribution. Liverpool, yes, but I think he has not reproduced his club form for England on more than a handful of occasions.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]Love or hate John Terry, he always gave everything for England. Gerrard didn''t last night. He was nowhere.[/quote]

John Terry wasn''t past his best when he was playing for England.

And it''s not as if JT covered himself in glory with his performances in South Africa anyway.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]Love or hate John Terry, he always gave everything for England. Gerrard didn''t last night. He was nowhere.[/quote]

John Terry wasn''t past his best when he was playing for England.

And it''s not as if JT covered himself in glory with his performances in South Africa anyway.

[/quote]Though he was excellent in the final.

The Uruguay manager said they targetted Gerrard in midfield knowing that he tends to roam out of position and loses possession when pressed. Loderio was played with the instructions to get very close to him in midfield to try to start counter attacks - it work very well from a Uruguay perspective.

Gerrard isn''t suited to the defensive midfielder role he is played in as he doesn''t defend particulary well - I imagine he''ll retire from international football after the World Cup (I also wouldn''t be surprised if Rooney does to, although he might feel its worth sticking around to become England''s highest ever goalscorer).

England are crying out for a decent half. Cahill was good last night, but Johnson, Jagielka & Baines are not up to it at this level. I think if that defence had Terry & Cole in we would have stood much more chance of progressing. I remember not that long ago when we had Terry, Ferdinand, Campbell, even the likes of Carragher & Ledley King and now we have been left with mediocre players like Jagielka & Smalling who look good against Southampton, Hull, us etc.

I personally would have taken Cole as he is our best left back and probally would prefer Lescott over Jagielka. Micah Richards needs games somewhere as i dont think Joh son or Walker is the answer to finding a decent right back.

I think Shaw will come good in time but is still quite raw and i think Phil Jones will become a very good centre half when playing in that position week in week out with someone like Vidic next to him to learn from (i know Vidic has left).

Seem to have alot of attacking player at a good age sterling, wellbeck, sturridge, barkley, walcott, chamblerlain, townsend, even players like ince, redmond, morison, zaha. Just apart from Stones of Everton doesnt seem to be many good young defenders coming through.

Football is a results-led business - and just like every area of our lives, we tend to get more of what we focus upon. Gerard chose to talk about the grief of failure; the pain of leaving a major competition early. He considered himself well-qualified to do so because he has suffered that fate personally.

Not the wisest of choices on Roy Hodgson''s part allowing that to happen was it? I mean, how uninspiring for the newer recruits to hear all about the Liverpool captain''s default setting of ''I was very nearly a winner somewhere along the line you know!...''

Here''s a simple suggestion: How about the leadership team focussing more on the outcome they desire rather than one they fear?

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Football is a results-led business - and just like every area of our lives, we tend to get more of what we focus upon. Gerard chose to talk about the grief of failure; the pain of leaving a major competition early. He considered himself well-qualified to do so because he has suffered that fate personally.  Not the wisest of choices on Roy Hodgson''s part allowing that to happen was it? I mean, how uninspiring for the newer recruits to hear all about the Liverpool captain''s default setting of ''I was very nearly a winner somewhere along the line you know!...''     Here''s a simple suggestion: How about the leadership team focussing more on the outcome they desire rather than one they fear?

[/quote]

Gerard has always had this slightly hang dog look about him and in his younger playing days was imo a hit or miss type player - great on his day, but could play some stinkers too.  As he has matured he has improved playing wise and much more consistent,  but the way he speaks shows he has too much mental baggage and it is catching up with him.  After his poor end to the season, past seasons'' disappointments for L''pool and England, now this, we really need someone else to be captain of the England team.  Rooney too has  baggage at international level - too many disappointments.  Now we really need to get rid of these dinosaurs and get a new generation in.  Its been said many times in the past, but never happens.  Pandering to Rooney and keeping Gerard and playing other players out of position is one of the reasons we failed. The "fear factor" speech Gerard made defies comprehension, or at least a lack of understanding on his part as to what a captain should be doing to inspire his players.   Selfish whining about his own disappointments is not the talk of a good captain and I hope Hodgson recognises that and looks to someone else to be captain in the future.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Football is a results-led business - and just like every area of our lives, we tend to get more of what we focus upon. Gerard chose to talk about the grief of failure; the pain of leaving a major competition early. He considered himself well-qualified to do so because he has suffered that fate personally.  Not the wisest of choices on Roy Hodgson''s part allowing that to happen was it? I mean, how uninspiring for the newer recruits to hear all about the Liverpool captain''s default setting of ''I was very nearly a winner somewhere along the line you know!...''     Here''s a simple suggestion: How about the leadership team focussing more on the outcome they desire rather than one they fear?

[/quote]

Gerard has always had this slightly hang dog look about him and in his younger playing days was imo a hit or miss type player - great on his day, but could play some stinkers too.  As he has matured he has improved playing wise and much more consistent,  but the way he speaks shows he has too much mental baggage and it is catching up with him.  After his poor end to the season, past seasons'' disappointments for L''pool and England, now this, we really need someone else to be captain of the England team.  Rooney too has  baggage at international level - too many disappointments.  Now we really need to get rid of these dinosaurs and get a new generation in.  Its been said many times in the past, but never happens.  Pandering to Rooney and keeping Gerard and playing other players out of position is one of the reasons we failed. The "fear factor" speech Gerard made defies comprehension, or at least a lack of understanding on his part as to what a captain should be doing to inspire his players.   Selfish whining about his own disappointments is not the talk of a good captain and I hope Hodgson recognises that and looks to someone else to be captain in the future.

[/quote]i hope Hodgson just does the decent thing and fu(ks off