Sign in to follow this  
Tommie Tippee

Thanks Chris

Dear Mr Hughton. By serving up the dross you did all season long, you prepared me for the disappointment that was England in the world cup. Rather than be mightily upset, I am merely resigned. Thus you have saved my marriage from further stress. Greatly appreciated wherever you are.

It''s true, I''ve been conditioned to sit quietly & not to expect any goals to be scored.

Losing 2 - 1, oh well.

[quote user="Number 9"]It''s true, I''ve been conditioned to sit quietly & not to expect any goals to be scored.

Losing 2 - 1, oh well.[/quote]Where this analogy falls down a bit is that, while we were vastly second best to Uruguay, we were not taken to the cleaners 7-0, 6-0, 5-1 etc, which was Hughton''s party trick.

We still have Costa Rica to come and given the schoolboy errors by our defence so far could be anything.

Not one of our defenders including our goalkeeper kept to basic coaching technique, from ball watching Suarez was only striker in box for both goals to keeping technique you do not stand on line when one on one you close down striker put him under pressure and make yourself bigger target.

Fear was written all over players faces yesterday , you could see the second goal coming as each player panicked on ball

Hughton----Hodgson, suspiciously similar surnames, similar cautiousness, similar tactics, similar inability to change a match through subs- could they really be the same person? We''ll know for sure if LDC come out in support of Roy..............

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Number 9"]It''s true, I''ve been conditioned to sit quietly & not to expect any goals to be scored. Losing 2 - 1, oh well.[/quote]

Where this analogy falls down a bit is that, while we were vastly second best to Uruguay, we were not taken to the cleaners 7-0, 6-0, 5-1 etc, which was Hughton''s party trick.
[/quote]

Yes but Uruguay are hardly the Man City of world football.  Maybe if we''d come up against one of the top teams ?

The other depressing thing last night was how laboured our build up was.  All too reminiscent of City last season.

Hughton might as well have been managing England last night. It was frustratingly reminiscent of watching Norwich last season!

I''m sure I''m not alone in saying I felt very well prepared for last nights footballing master class put on by England.

Eleven average players with no obvious sense of having a plan against Luis Suarez, the outcome as we know was entirely predictable one.

It was never about ''if'' he scored, rather when and how many, in fact the only thing missing was the manager in a nice cashmere vneck jumper.

A fair point, in itself, ICF, but I''m afraid to say that the gulf in class between Uruguay and England both technically and tactically last night was not that far different from the similar gulf in class between Man C/Arsenal/Liverpool etc and Norwich over the last couple of yrs.

Typical English coaching mentality sometimes. Always one system behind the rest of the world. And it seems they can''t see beyond 4-2-3-1.

By and large, the rest of the football world has moved on. Chile''s three at the back might be an old style but it certainly works.

Hell, I''m sure Uruguay were playing a diamond last night.

But what are the odds on us still rolling out the same old format in a dead rubber when Costa Rica might be prepared to rest players.

The stage is perfectly set to change it and try something adventurous.