Sign in to follow this  
#

How many games will you give Adams.................

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Well, as others have more eloquently said than I can, LDC, if you are serious about what you say, then there is only one strategy available. Vote with your feet. Withdraw your support. If enough people do that, then the authorities will listen. I''m not saying that everything football -wise is perfect. Far from it, but , in the main it works.I''m afraid that, with your behaviour over the last, dismal year or so, you are skating on very thin ice indeed by beating this ''no change'' mantra. Frankly, Hughton was incredibly lucky. In pretty much any other business I know, someone who failed so abjectly as he did would''ve been fired MUCH earlier. As with so many other things...you may not like it, but it''s a fact nonetheless. It''s not bo**ox, cloud cuckooland stuff. Its the way things actually happen in the REAL world.[/quote]

[:D] The way football is run is the real world??  I''ve heard everything now.  In the real world - or the one I live and work in anyway - people are given the chance to develop/improve/given support when needed and very few people are ever kicked out before the end of a contract or a post  if their aims are still achievable.   Long term development is also key to most businesses in the real world - chopping and changing at the slightest hitch makes that very difficult.

What a surprise to see a negative thread like this as the most popular thread on the message board. And the same posters carrying on last season''s crusades.

The real world? Well that was what we experienced last season. Reggie and his ilk were living in a fantasy world then and still are now.

Is anybody actually looking forward to the new season? Looking forward to the games and the unpredictable nature of this league? I''d be very wary of setting targets and must win games. It will temper any enjoyment although in Reggie''s case there will be no enjoyment anyway.

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 18/06/2014 1:10 PM:

What a surprise to see a negative thread like this as the most popular thread on the message board. And the same posters carrying on last season''s crusades.

----------------------------------------------

Perhaps you might like to contribute to the ''Lineker fouls himself'' thread instead then?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Well, as others have more eloquently said than I can, LDC, if you are serious about what you say, then there is only one strategy available. Vote with your feet. Withdraw your support. If enough people do that, then the authorities will listen. I''m not saying that everything football -wise is perfect. Far from it, but , in the main it works.I''m afraid that, with your behaviour over the last, dismal year or so, you are skating on very thin ice indeed by beating this ''no change'' mantra. Frankly, Hughton was incredibly lucky. In pretty much any other business I know, someone who failed so abjectly as he did would''ve been fired MUCH earlier. As with so many other things...you may not like it, but it''s a fact nonetheless. It''s not bo**ox, cloud cuckooland stuff. Its the way things actually happen in the REAL world.[/quote]

[:D] The way football is run is the real world??  I''ve heard everything now.  In the real world - or the one I live and work in anyway - people are given the chance to develop/improve/given support when needed and very few people are ever kicked out before the end of a contract or a post  if their aims are still achievable.   Long term development is also key to most businesses in the real world - chopping and changing at the slightest hitch makes that very difficult.

[/quote]In your own unerring way, Lake, you''ve made my point for me. In the real world, of course people should be ,and indeed are, given time to achieve goals. Hughton was given plenty of time, and failed miserably. That''s why he went . The debate really is whether he should have gone earlier, but that''s been done to death already !!Of course we do not know as yet what objectives Adams has been set, but we can pretty safely assume that it revolves around NCFC making a serious push for promotion back to the PL, can''t we ? All I (and others) are saying, is that if, after a reasonable time, he appears to be falling short of that, his position will come under scrutiny and threat. In what part of the real world would that not happen LDC/Nige ?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]What a surprise to see a negative thread like this as the most popular thread on the message board. And the same posters carrying on last season''s crusades.

The real world? Well that was what we experienced last season. Reggie and his ilk were living in a fantasy world then and still are now.

Is anybody actually looking forward to the new season? Looking forward to the games and the unpredictable nature of this league? I''d be very wary of setting targets and must win games. It will temper any enjoyment although in Reggie''s case there will be no enjoyment anyway.[/quote]And what a surprise to see the usual mixed messages, insults and platitudes coming from your keyboard, Nige.I think, by anyone''s standards, there were a good number of us on this board who were indeed living in the real world. It was the apolgist tendency who strayed out of it, I''m afraid.As for enjoyment....well, being a simple soul in nature, there will be plenty of enjoyment for me if we a) play some reasonably entertaing football, and b) start winning some football matches. Not a terribly difficult concept to grasp, that, eh, Nige ?

What happened last season was the real world.

What Reggie wanted was fantasy land.

Or am I missing something...

Reggie, you joined this community 18/04/06, Plenty of enjoyment in the intervening years for even the simplest of souls. Yet I don''t ever remember you commenting on any...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]What happened last season was the real world.

What Reggie wanted was fantasy land.

Or am I missing something.
..[/quote]Hmm. funny you should mention it , Nige, but, err , YESSSSSYou''re suggesting that not wanting my club to be relegated when it was totally avoidable is ''fantasy land ''stuff. ? And you have the gall to call me negative and miserable.!Get a grip, man, for God''s sake.

The idea that to avoid relegation the manager needs to be sacked is also fantasy land. As is the idea that clubs not challenging for promotion at Christmas will be ok if they sack the manager. It''s those views, which you continually offered last season and have already offered this season which are fantasy.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]The idea that to avoid relegation the manager needs to be sacked is also fantasy land. As is the idea that clubs not challenging for promotion at Christmas will be ok if they sack the manager. It''s those views, which you continually offered last season and have already offered this season which are fantasy.[/quote]Well all I can say to that is that places like Selhurst Pk and The Stadium of Light must be the mothers of all fantasy lands ......

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="nutty nigel"]The idea that to avoid relegation the manager needs to be sacked is also fantasy land. As is the idea that clubs not challenging for promotion at Christmas will be ok if they sack the manager. It''s those views, which you continually offered last season and have already offered this season which are fantasy.[/quote]Well all I can say to that is that places like Selhurst Pk and The Stadium of Light must be the mothers of all fantasy lands ......[/quote]

Must have been Hull, Villa and West Ham relegated then....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="nutty nigel"]The idea that to avoid relegation the manager needs to be sacked is also fantasy land. As is the idea that clubs not challenging for promotion at Christmas will be ok if they sack the manager. It''s those views, which you continually offered last season and have already offered this season which are fantasy.[/quote]Well all I can say to that is that places like Selhurst Pk and The Stadium of Light must be the mothers of all fantasy lands ......[/quote]

Must have been Hull, Villa and West Ham relegated then....

[/quote]As so often you completely miss the point Nige. I know there was a bit of half-hearted  anti-Allardyce muttering at Upton Pk(and a lot of that was about the style of football) . But there was no serious   ''Bruce Out'' faction at the KC, nor any sizeable ''Lambert out'' one at the Villa.Far be it from me to feed you your lines, but if I''d been you, then maybe Fulham and Cardiff would have been better  examples to illustrate your (flawed) logic ?  Just a thought.....

There''s no flawed logic from me Reg. You''re the one who believes that sacking the manager will change a teams fortunes. And you''re wrong about both Allardyce and Lambert.

But this is a new season with a completely new managerial team and set up. But you''re still worrying about sacking the manager!!

April 2006. 8 years! There must be something you enjoyed enough to move you to post in that time. After all you continually renewed that season ticket.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]But this is a new season with a completely new managerial team and set up. But you''re still worrying about sacking the manager!! .[/quote]Again, completely wrong ,Nigel.You really must make  note to yourself to start reading posts properly , understanding them, and not making stuff up to suit your flawed agenda.I''m not ''worrying'' about sacking the manager. The OP asked a perfectly straight, reasonable question. Some people went a bit OTT by suggesting he should be given 10 games. I suggested that the situation should be reassessed at Xmas, and, merely offered the opinion that if we were not performing well, his position would come under scrutiny.What part of that do you disagree with ? And it''s no good trying to muddy the waters by keep regurgitating the ''stat'' of the day in which I joined the PU forum. A common tactic you use, and one that loads of people have seen through already. Me included.

Tactic I use Reggie? Are there tactics for posting on here? Is there also perhaps a coaching manual? Do you use negative tactics? I think you must do because 8 years is a long time to moan......

And yet still renew....

So when you reassess the situation at Christmas what scrutiny will the manager be under that he''s not under now? Or in Aug/Sept/Oct/Nov?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

So when you reassess the situation at Christmas what scrutiny will the manager be under that he''s not under now? Or in Aug/Sept/Oct/Nov?[/quote]As I say, Nige. Just my opinion (remember those ?)  on this, and the answer I gave to Wiz''s question.There are clearly those who would closely scrutinise the manager''s position well before Xmas. There are also those who would leave it a good deal later. My take on this is purely based on the fact that Xmas is half-term, so to speak, and we''ll have played everyone before then.Perhaps , rather than indulging in fabricating silly spats (although I know it''s your stock-in trade), you might like to offer some pearls of wisdom as to your take on this ?Go on, break the habits of a lifetime and actually provide us with  a carefully crafted opinion of your own , as opposed to the party line regurgitation you normally use. You know you want to......

nutty nigel your repetitive swipes at reggie are getting rather tedious and boring.

Please get back to the topic and pass on your opinion and stop using this as a means to dig at reggie!

Cheers

P.S. Member since 11/07/13

Adams will go as soon as the Board decide his position is no longer tenable. Only results will tell us when this time will come so it''s pointless to speculate. Gunn went very quickly and Hughton went a tad slowly so we can''t learn very much from this Boards previous actions.Looking back at previous managers over the last 60 years I would be prepared to bet that it is more likely than not to end in tears for one reason or another.

[quote user="lharman7"]nutty nigel your repetitive swipes at reggie are getting rather tedious and boring.

Please get back to the topic and pass on your opinion and stop using this as a means to dig at reggie!

Cheers

P.S. Member since 11/07/13[/quote]Don''t worry, lh, he will have his little joke....Unfortunately, minor facts like that , (Leroy Fer with  Holland in Brazil aside), there is no actual NCFC based football to get either positive or negative about right now seem to pass the old boy by.That will all change in a couple of months, so let''s be hoping that at 6pm  on Aug 10th we are all celebrating a thumping three points taken at Molyneux ? Now, Nige. what''s your take on this manager question ?

That''s the thing Reg. You seem incapable of grasping the fact that there''s no manager question. The new team haven''t even been introduced to the players whoever they maybe and yet already some of you are licking your lips for the first chance you''ll have to call for a change.

If you really want to imagine what would force the board into change then 5 consecutive defeats will usually do that in the champs whether that''s the first 5 games or 5 games later in the season.

Just one post in 8 years to show you enjoyed that season ticket Reg. That''s only a small ask...

[quote user="ricardo"]Adams will go as soon as the Board decide his position is no longer tenable. Only results will tell us when this time will come so it''s pointless to speculate. [/quote]This thread wouldn''t have even started if we had appointed "a more qualified, more experienced, more suitable, foreign manager" because everyone would be thinking that he would be a nailed on cert to get us promotion.It''s a shame that Adams keeps getting tarred with the Gunn brush for no other reason than he''s an "in-house" appointment.I don''t understand why people can''t accept that Adams is our Manager rather than keep harping on about so called better alternatives that we might have had and speculating when he''ll be sacked even before a ball has been kicked.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]That''s the thing Reg. You seem incapable of grasping the fact that there''s no manager question. The new team haven''t even been introduced to the players whoever they maybe and yet already some of you are licking your lips for the first chance you''ll have to call for a change.

If you really want to imagine what would force the board into change then 5 consecutive defeats will usually do that in the champs whether that''s the first 5 games or 5 games later in the season.

Just one post in 8 years to show you enjoyed that season ticket Reg. That''s only a small ask...[/quote]No. Thought not.Whether you like it or not, Wiz did ask the ''question''. And, needless to say, no self-formed opinion from you.That''s only a small ask......

Your answer is there Reg. Just because you don''t agree doesn''t stop it being an opinion. And it''s as valid as yours. In fact id challenge your scrutiny at christmas stance because 5 consecutive defeats at the start of the season would be enough for most people.

Now about that positive post ....

[quote user="ricardo"]Adams will go as soon as the Board decide his position is no longer tenable. [/quote]

Stunning bit of insight there, Senor Ricardo

[quote user="lharman7"]nutty nigel your repetitive swipes at reggie are getting rather tedious and boring. Please get back to the topic and pass on your opinion and stop using this as a means to dig at reggie! Cheers P.S. Member since 11/07/13[/quote]

Huzzah! [Y]

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="ricardo"]Adams will go as soon as the Board decide his position is no longer tenable. [/quote]

[/quote]Indeed it is. [:)]Events will unfold in there own good time, as they always do.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="City1st"][quote user="ricardo"]Adams will go as soon as the Board decide his position is no longer tenable. [/quote]

[/quote]Indeed it is. [:)]Events will unfold in there own good time, as they always do.[/quote]

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a

child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a

right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the

universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and

whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life

keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken

dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

That last highlighted bit''s for you, Reggie.

Do I understand rightly that the favoured tactic, if things aren''t going well, is to change the manager every ten games or so until we find one that ''works''? What if we were to replace Adams with an experienced manager with a successful track record of Championship promotions...and he doesn''t win any more games than Adams over the same period? Sack him too? And what happens if the guy who succeeds the guy who succeeds Adams loses even more games over the same period than his predecessor? Should we then take post to this forum asking wistfully why the Board didn''t "learn the lessons from last time" and give the new guy longer?

I''m sure we can all check back in the archives and find examples where changing the manager mid-season has worked and we can almost certainly look back and find examples where changing the manager hasn''t resulted in a massive improvement. I confess I don''t have the stats to hand but I''m sure the latter is likely to have been to more frequent occurrence; especially with NCFC.

Those who toe the "I''ll give him x number of games to win my favour before I...give him a Chinese burn" line seem to think that any change must surely result in an improvement (because it couldn''t possibly go the other way). Either that or you think that "I''ll just try this one, then that one then another one and maybe a fourth ad infinitum until it works".

The manager will be under scrutiny from day one; not after x number of games. As Ricardo says, he will be booted out when the NCFC Board chooses; not when a critical mass of us on here think it is time.

[quote user="Chip20"].

The manager will be under scrutiny from day one; not after x number of games. As Ricardo says, he will be booted out when the NCFC Board chooses; not when a critical mass of us on here think it is time.[/quote]The problem with that statement Chip (and Ricardo) is that you imply that these two events are in no way related. You could not be further from the truth.Football is a results driven industry, and very much reliant on the fans'' goodwill. Be under no illusion that the board are very aware of this, and carefully gauge the fans'' mood/attitude. If they perceive that a critcal mass of fans have moved against any given manager, they WILL act. They cannot afford not to. It happened with Worthy after the Burnley game. Also with Roedent and Gunn, and certainly that was the case with Hughton after the WBA fiasco.Ultimately, though, I''m puzzled as to what your strategy would be. If things are clearly not going well, do you just don the stiff upper lip and plough on regardless, in the hope that something might turn up, Micawber style?  That was the idea favoured by LDC and his chums last season, and look where it got us. Or would you be smart enough to recognise the sign of failure early, and do something about it ?