Sign in to follow this  
#

How many games will you give Adams.................

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="City1st"]"Thinking we have such a good squad compared to other teams in the

division is absolute arrogance.   On paper it might look good, but in

practice it will be as tough as the last three seasons"
So it is absolute arrogance to state that we have a good squad, but not absolute arrogance to state that it will be tough.Why will it be tough ?Why is it not arrogance to say that other teams will be good enough to make it tough for us ?Same old LDC .. talking us down yet again.[/quote]

Same warped logic from City 1st.   It will be tough.  Guaranteed.......and I never said we didn''t have a good squad - just that they are not the strongest squad until they have proved they are.

[/quote]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Thinking we have such a good squad

compared to other teams in the division is absolute arrogance.   On

paper it might look good,

[/quote]or maybe you just twisting things againno one, but you have stated that it won''t be tough - another lie made up by you  so that you can knock it downwe have a good squad as you admitit is not arrogance to state how things areand as to it ''being on paper'' then how else are you you judge the players at this stage when games are not being played ?

more importantly why are you always putting City down (that''s when you are not blaming City fans for Hughton''s failings)odd, eh ?

Joking aside, it is unclear how the squad will change over the next 11 weeks through to the closure of the window, so whether we have a good squad or not remains to be seen. And, as LDC says, the squad''s potential can be different from its actual performance.

Until Christmas I''ll be less concerned about our position in the table than how we are playing - is there the basis for anticipating success or not.

"So that had nothing to do with Derby sacking Nigel Clough (who didn''t leave them lower than 14th place at any time in the season) and replacing him with a new manager Steve Mclaren in September? They made the change and then they miraculously went from 14th to 8th in 3 games (8th after 12 games). Mclaren totally changed it around from playing boring nigel clough football, to free flowing football, which I think was remarkable for a championship side full of average championship footballers (chris martin finally scoring regularly for example). If they had appointed the right manager in the first place, i''m sure they would have got the 9 extra points needed to get 2nd place.

So basically, we need to do as well as our squad is capable and not make excuses, its not about risking whether we stay up if we change managers, the question is now can this manager get the players winning and dominating. Our squad (at the moment) is unquestionably the best in the league, if the team isn''t showing that, it rests on him....end of, no excuses."

Wasn''t the point I was making at all Miggins, but thanks for taking one line in a post in isolation. How Derby and Brighton changed their seasons around wasn''t what I was getting at, what were Brighton thinking sticking with Garcia just for some balance hey?

The point being just because we arent running away with the league by 10 games in, doesn''t mean we won''t finish there or there abouts for a promotion chance come May, and if we are doing well doesn''t mean we wont fade.

It''s not about making excuses, it''s about giving the guy some time to get it right if it''s not brilliant from the off. The Championship is a long old season, 10 games isn''t even a quarter of what we have to play. NA deserves a season unless it all goes Gunn like from the off imo.

[quote user="City1st"]and as to it ''being on paper'' then how else are you you judge the players at this stage when games are not being played ?[/quote]

How can you judge anything when games are not being played?   Its all conjecture. But talking things up too much at this stage is almost guaranteed to lead to disappointment if things don''t go well straight away.    All I am saying is that we have to be prepared for anything next season - good or not so good.   If its good - fantastic.  If its not so good to start with, then perseverance will be necessary to stay with the team/manager well into the season to see if they can turn it round - and as I said earlier, promotion will still be possible from a mid table position, given a good run of results towards the end of the season.  

I agree its similar to the position I had with Hughton - the same I would have with any manager who was still in the position to achieve his aims - and despite the furore around Hughton, he was still just achieving enough results  - up to the WBA game.   Adams won''t be in the same position - his pressure is at the other end of the table.  He will need the whole season to do it. Not 10 or 15 games.  And that is not talking things down - it is being realistic. 

The board delayed too long last season with Hughton. It would be somewhat disappointing to repeat that error two seasons in a row, especially given failure to achieve promotion will see the balance of our top players leave.

[quote user="Wiz"]

To convince you he''s the man for the job.

Keep in mind he has no wins yet!

Its 10 games from me.

[/quote]

Shouldn''t we be playing "Wiz Flip Flop Fan Bingo", everyone writes down numbers relating to which games he: 1, Demands Adams out, 2, Demands Delia out, 3, Asks for the board to resign, 4, Asks what Stephen Fry does for the club, 5, Says he''s backed Adams all along after a 5 game winning run, 6, Cries wolf for being picked on, 7, Starts one of those threads "Winning this game could..." and so on...

[quote user="Highland Canary"]10 games and then get the experience in we should have appointed in the first place and just pray it''s not already too late.[/quote]Spot on , Adams in all honesty has done nothing to warrant being Norwich manager and if anything his 5 games in charge were every bit as bad as Hughtons . His appointment has Delias hands all over it and if he starts slowly he has to go asap to give somebody the chance to put this massive mistake right .

Monty13 wrote the following post at 17/06/2014 10:48 PM:

The point being just because we arent running away with the league by 10 games in, doesn''t mean we won''t finish there or there abouts for a promotion chance come May, and if we are doing well doesn''t mean we wont fade.

It''s not about making excuses, it''s about giving the guy some time to get it right if it''s not brilliant from the off. The Championship is a long old season, 10 games isn''t even a quarter of what we have to play. NA deserves a season unless it all goes Gunn like from the off imo.

-------------------------------------------------------

Why should we give him a season unless he looks like he''s Bryan Gunn (like he did in charge for the few games he had last season)? If he''s not getting the best out of the team then he shouldn''t be in the job. Derby''s season changed because they appointed a new manager not because they just kept going. We need to get up, its not a wait and see scenario, as shown in the case you saw with Derby. You''ve used the example of Brighton who only just scraped the playoffs. After 20 games, they were 8th and in good form with expectations of making the playoffs, well done to them. Our realistic expectation with our squad as it is is 1st/2nd, if we are 10th after 20 games the board will have to review Adams'' position....or they could just bury their heads in the sand

[quote user="Monty13"]"

The point being just because we arent running away with the league by 10 games in, doesn''t mean we won''t finish there or there abouts for a promotion chance come May,.[/quote]No, Monty, the point is that no-one at any stage has suggested that we will (or should ) be ''running away with the league after 10 games''. Or indeed 20 or 30. You are taking up LDC''s mantle of twisting stuff to suit your argument.It''s undoubtedly true that, as things stand we have one of the better squads in the champ, but I doubt if anyone will ''run away'' with it this season . To that extent LDC is right in that it will be a long hard slog.In a few minutes, we will know our fate as to the first 20 or so games to play. Let''s get this clear ; during that spell we will play a good selection of some of the sides in this Championship, and if we have not made a pretty decent fist of it, and are floundering, then Adams''s position will come under scrutiny. Not just from Wiz, or you, or me or LDC, but from everyone ...including, I''d hope, McN and the board.

[quote user="Cheap Cheap Canaries"][quote user="Highland Canary"]10 games and then get the experience in we should have appointed in the first place and just pray it''s not already too late.[/quote]Spot on , Adams in all honesty has done nothing to warrant being Norwich manager and if anything his 5 games in charge were every bit as bad as Hughtons . His appointment has Delias hands all over it and if he starts slowly he has to go asap to give somebody the chance to put this massive mistake right . [/quote]I would sound a cautionary note with being too quick to judge him. Sure, if we''re in the bottom half at the end of October it''s really not working - but let''s look at the squad and the style of football too. He may be the ''cheap option'', but I think the football will be more entertaining to watch than if we had appointed Malky, for example. He has promised attractive, attacking football, and looking at his career to date that''s not just saying what fans want to hear, that''s his philosophy. His five games last season were against four top-class teams and Fulham, with a failing and disillusioned group of players. With a clean slate and inferior opposition, I think he has every chance to do a good job for us next season.

To no one in particular:

I believe if you check back on my posts I always wanted Adams as caretaker and then No.1 to the new manager after Hughton, I''ve also claimed he could be a Walker MkII...................... IN TIME!

I''m happy to stand by that.

[quote user="Wiz"]

To no one in particular:

I believe if you check back on my posts I always wanted Adams as caretaker and then No.1 to the new manager after Hughton, I''ve also claimed he could be a Walker MkII...................... IN TIME!

[/quote]

All very interesting but then there were your other opinions.

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Wiz"]

To no one in particular:

[/quote]

All very interesting but then there were your other opinions.

[/quote]

Can you find them for me please TC? I''m useless with the search thingy.

[quote user="Wiz"]

To no one in particular:

[/quote]

[quote user="Wiz"]If it is Adams thats me finished on here.........they can shove it![/quote]Billy Liar at it again

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="Wiz"]

To no one in particular:

[/quote]

[quote user="Wiz"]If it is Adams thats me finished on here.........they can shove it![/quote]

Billy Liar at it again

[/quote]

Billy Liar yourself pompous............I clearly said he''s not ready yet...........next time read properly.

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="City1st"][quote user="Wiz"]

To no one in particular:

[/quote]

[quote user="Wiz"]If it is Adams thats me finished on here.........they can shove it![/quote]

Billy Liar at it again

[/quote]

Billy Liar yourself pompous............I clearly said he''s not ready yet...........next time read properly.

[/quote]

Can you find that for me please Mr Liar? I''m useless with the search thingy

oh dearnothing in that comment says ANYTHING about Adams not being ready"If it is Adams thats me finished on here"   ...... see, nothingwhat it does say is that you are finished on herebut you are still herewhich makes you a liar

[quote user="City1st"]oh dear

nothing in that comment says ANYTHING about Adams not being ready

"If it is Adams thats me finished on here
"   ...... see, nothing

what it does say is that you are finished on here

but you are still here

which makes you a liar

[/quote]

You''ve had your reply Pompous........make it last. [:|]

Look. Whether we (or indeed Adams) likes it or not, The Champ is as ''hire and fire'' as the Prem. I''ve just checked and , of the teams who were in the Champ last season , the longest serving boss is Lee Clark at Birmingham, and he''s not been in the job for 2 yrs yet. Only Steve Evans of Rotherham has been longer.So it''s no good navel gazing over this. The fact is that if Adams and his team do not perform up to expectations, he''ll be history. He''s smart enough to know that, and thus he is simply NOT going to go out and play pretty football 100% of the time. Anyone who thinks that is going to be seriously disappointed . However anything is better than the shi te that Hughton served up. In the end what I guess most of us will be happy with is football that produces results. As long as he does that, Adams will be in a job here.

I just hope the board don''t dilly dally like they did with CH and hang on too long again.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Look. Whether we (or indeed Adams) likes it or not, The Champ is as ''hire and fire'' as the Prem. I''ve just checked and , of the teams who were in the Champ last season , the longest serving boss is Lee Clark at Birmingham, and he''s not been in the job for 2 yrs yet. Only Steve Evans of Rotherham has been longer.[/quote]

And that sums up nicely what is wrong with football.   Too much change is detrimental to any kind of development and the sooner clubs/fans realise it the better.   If there is anything other than instant success, out goes the manager.  Pathetic.   Yet three of the most successful clubs in the land had the same manager for many years, ManU, Arsenal and Everton.    I presume most clubs appoint a manager with a long view in mind, but it is too easy to sack a manager.  Those that stick it out and get some continuity going over a period of years are to be admired.  I hope the new set up at Norwich allows for this process to happen - and that Adams is given more than the pathetically little 10-15 games that some would give him.

LDC wrote:

All I am saying is that we have to be prepared for anything next season - good or not so good. If its good - fantastic. If its not so good to start with, then perseverance will be necessary to stay with the team/manager well into the season to see if they can turn it round - and as I said earlier, promotion will still be possible from a mid table position, given a good run of results towards the end of the season.

I honestly thought people would have learnt the very harsh lessons of last season''s failures.

With the squad as it stands (on paper or not) we should be looking at top 10 after 15 games to be in touch with the boards goal of promotion on the first attempt.

LDC, please take this into account.

Its 15 games from me. Even less if we''ve had some awful hidings!

Oh FFS!

Maybe we should have kept Hughton after all then LDC?

No one forces you to watch,support,follow football. If you think football has something categorically wrong with it maybe you should give it a rest for a while?

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]That was for Wiz[/quote]

This is for you:

[IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Signs/idiot-0011.gif[/IMG]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Look. Whether we (or indeed Adams) likes it or not, The Champ is as ''hire and fire'' as the Prem. I''ve just checked and , of the teams who were in the Champ last season , the longest serving boss is Lee Clark at Birmingham, and he''s not been in the job for 2 yrs yet. Only Steve Evans of Rotherham has been longer.[/quote]

And that sums up nicely what is wrong with football.   Too much change is detrimental to any kind of development and the sooner clubs/fans realise it the better.   If there is anything other than instant success, out goes the manager.  Pathetic.   Yet three of the most successful clubs in the land had the same manager for many years, ManU, Arsenal and Everton.    I presume most clubs appoint a manager with a long view in mind, but it is too easy to sack a manager.  Those that stick it out and get some continuity going over a period of years are to be admired.  I hope the new set up at Norwich allows for this process to happen - and that Adams is given more than the pathetically little 10-15 games that some would give him.

[/quote]And that sentence sums up the difference between you and me LDC.I deal with things as they really are in the real world. Whereas you deal with things how you''d like them to be in some sort of utopian league structure.I''m not expecting this to happen but, yes, if we''ve failed to make any sort of impact by the end of the year, then Adams will have to go . Simples.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Look. Whether we (or indeed Adams) likes it or not, The Champ is as ''hire and fire'' as the Prem. I''ve just checked and , of the teams who were in the Champ last season , the longest serving boss is Lee Clark at Birmingham, and he''s not been in the job for 2 yrs yet. Only Steve Evans of Rotherham has been longer.[/quote]And that sums up nicely what is wrong with football.   Too much change is detrimental to any kind of development and the sooner clubs/fans realise it the better.   If there is anything other than instant success, out goes the manager.  Pathetic.   Yet three of the most successful clubs in the land had the same manager for many years, ManU, Arsenal and Everton.    I presume most clubs appoint a manager with a long view in mind, but it is too easy to sack a manager.  Those that stick it out and get some continuity going over a period of years are to be admired.  I hope the new set up at Norwich allows for this process to happen - and that Adams is given more than the pathetically little 10-15 games that some would give him. [/quote]And that sentence sums up the difference between you and me LDC.I deal with things as they really are in the real world. Whereas you deal with things how you''d like them to be in some sort of utopian league structure.I''m not expecting this to happen but, yes, if we''ve failed to make any sort of impact by the end of the year, then Adams will have to go . Simples. [/quote]

If everyone accepts things as they are all the time and never has the desire/will to try and improve them, then we will always be at the mercy of those who try and manipulate the game for their own ends - usually to do with power/money/TV companies.   At least the financial fair play rules have addressed this problem (started to address it, anyway).  

The sacking of managers at the drop of a hat that we see, sometimes for no apparent reason, is just a symptom of  the lack of balls shown by some owners/boards.  Fans have just got used to the idea that if things aren''t quite as good as they want they can start shouting for a manager''s removal.  It''s a b*ll*x cloud cuckoo land way of doing things.   Our club thrives on stability, yet there are too many people trying to upset that stability all the time, before anything worthwhile has been established.   A new manager needs time and a strong board will give him time. Our board was strong and held their nerve as long as they could with Hughton, wanting to give him time.  It didn''t work, but they will have to be strong again with Adams, because at the first sign of a couple of bad results, the twitterati/pinkunati/knobendatis will be out in force shouting for his head.  

You might find the way football is run acceptable - I don''t - and if I complain/moan about it - it is because I want it to improve for the better and see some  rebalancing the financial side of things - and improving the human side of things.   Nothing lasting ever comes of chopping and changing - all that leads to is more chopping and changing and dis-satisfaction.

Well, as others have more eloquently said than I can, LDC, if you are serious about what you say, then there is only one strategy available. Vote with your feet. Withdraw your support. If enough people do that, then the authorities will listen. I''m not saying that everything football -wise is perfect. Far from it, but , in the main it works.I''m afraid that, with your behaviour over the last, dismal year or so, you are skating on very thin ice indeed by beating this ''no change'' mantra. Frankly, Hughton was incredibly lucky. In pretty much any other business I know, someone who failed so abjectly as he did would''ve been fired MUCH earlier. As with so many other things...you may not like it, but it''s a fact nonetheless. It''s not bo**ox, cloud cuckooland stuff. Its the way things actually happen in the REAL world.