Sign in to follow this  
#

How many games will you give Adams.................

Would also point out that the reason this situation is different from the Hughton situation (wrt supporting the team and manager whatever happens) is that we have no basis of opinion by which to judge Neil. He has no managerial experience so we dont know what he''s about. He could be the next Mourinho. He could be the next Peter Grant, we just dont know. Unlike with Hughton, I have not yet decided that Neil is unable to achieve what we want him to achieve. Nor will I decide that until he''s had a fair crack of the whip. Which for me is a whole season. I think to judge him before that (unless we start with a disasterous 7-1 home defeat with a performance that shows serious failings) would be ludicrous

I''ll give him the whole season before I raise any major complaint. We surely can''t give him less than Hughton, who signed more players on arrival and splashed (wasted) money in his second summer.

I would like to win promotion at the first attempt, but I think that will be difficult, so I''ll be happy with a top eight finish. To get back with our present squad, many of who are clearly not real Premiership quality, would put us on the back foot.

I hope that Adams will develop the youngsters, sign a few players with Premiership potential and finally rid everybody from the negativity of the past two seasons.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Don''t know whether to laugh or cry when seeing people saying they''ll only give the manager 10 or 15 games..[/quote]I''m afraid, LDC, that one single sentence encapsulates the difference between the easily satisfied tendency , of whom you are a leading member, and the rest of us who have much loftier aspirations.Like you, I''m hoping that Adams represents a huge improvement in your erstwhile ''man for the job'', Hughton, and I''m happy to give him support and the benefit of the doubt...for now. But , are you seriously saying that if, by Xmas we are struggling in the bottom half, regularly turning in weak performances and losing to the Rotherhams/Brentfords/Blackpools of this world, you''ll be content  for him to carry on regardless ? I suppose your previous track record indicates that would indeed be the case.But I, for one, am not prepared to tolerate second-best. So, to answer the OP, I''m happy to give him till Boxing day . If we are not at the fvery least well in the top half, and knocking on the door of the play-offs then it would be time for a change.

Thinking we have such a good squad compared to other teams in the division is absolute arrogance.   On paper it might look good, but in practice it will be as tough as the last three seasons, so  if we are struggling some of the time to get results, then it may just be that we''re coming up against some very good well organised championship teams, who won''t be a walkover. 

I don''t think Adams will fail, but I don''t necessarily think it will be easy to stay near the top of the table all season.  I would love a consolidating start to the season, hard to beat, then start to make inroads as the season develops, get to to the top six sometime after Christmas and then push for a promotion place as the season nears the end.  Starting the season near the top and staying there is a tall order - for any club - so I would prefer to see a season that is measured and solid, leading to promotion at the end of it. 

Some of you would throw your toys out of the pram after 10 games - and if you''re not careful it will feel like Hughton all over again - wrong manager, wrong tactics, wrong players, wrong board etc etc.    Be careful what you wish for, because the kind of attitude I''m seeing on here by some, will lead to more negativity. We don''t need it.   Adams needs a season to get us there, not 10 or 15 games.  You are not promoted in October.  You''re promoted at the end of April/beginning of May. 

Like I said. Baby. Bathwater.

To be fair, if he lost the first 10 games he''d have done well to last that long. It''s a bit of a sliding scale but if we''re not realistically challenging for promotion approaching January, he''ll have to go in my eyes. He has 1 job... challenge for promotion, if that''s not happening then i''m afraid i''d want him out. We''re evolving rather than having a big revolution of playing squad so the ''bedding in'' period excuse won''t wash this time out. He''s claimed he is up to the job so let him prove that.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]To be fair, if he lost the first 10 games he''d have done well to last that long. It''s a bit of a sliding scale but if we''re not realistically challenging for promotion approaching January, he''ll have to go in my eyes. He has 1 job... challenge for promotion, if that''s not happening then i''m afraid i''d want him out. We''re evolving rather than having a big revolution of playing squad so the ''bedding in'' period excuse won''t wash this time out. He''s claimed he is up to the job so let him prove that.[/quote]^^^^^^^^^ ThisIt''s very easy and lazy for the likes of LDC to use clichés like ''throwing toys out of pram'' , ''careful what you wish for''and ''chucking out the baby with the bathwater'', but (and I''m sure the statisticians like Ricardo will back this up) but next season represents by far our best chance of regaining Prem status. Adams has been chosen as the preferred man for this job, and it has to be said, against the better judgement of many of us here. So please do not knock us if we , quite rightly demand a better than decent showing from the team right from the off, never mind just the 2015 portion of the season.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]To be fair, if he lost the first 10 games he''d have done well to last that long. It''s a bit of a sliding scale but if we''re not realistically challenging for promotion approaching January, he''ll have to go in my eyes. He has 1 job... challenge for promotion, if that''s not happening then i''m afraid i''d want him out. We''re evolving rather than having a big revolution of playing squad so the ''bedding in'' period excuse won''t wash this time out. He''s claimed he is up to the job so let him prove that.[/quote]^^^^^^^^^ ThisIt''s very easy and lazy for the likes of LDC to use clichés like ''throwing toys out of pram'' , ''careful what you wish for''and ''chucking out the baby with the bathwater'', but (and I''m sure the statisticians like Ricardo will back this up) but next season represents by far our best chance of regaining Prem status. Adams has been chosen as the preferred man for this job, and it has to be said, against the better judgement of many of us here. So please do not knock us if we , quite rightly demand a better than decent showing from the team right from the off, never mind just the 2015 portion of the season.[/quote]

Problem is, Reggie, cliches or not - you are not promoted from the off.   You are promoted at the end of the season. Yes we want to see the team do well, but it will not be as easy as just saying we need to be near the top all the time.   We might want to be near the top all the time, as fans, but the team don''t need to be near the top until it really matters.   Whether we''re near the top the whole season and end up 2nd, or nearer mid table most of the season and make a push near the end to end up 2nd - it makes no difference - the net result will be the same. 

Unless it blatantly looks like he is out of his depth then as long as possible.

Thats a reasonable question to ask Wiz.

Certainly 10 games isnt enough I feel, why?.....because ANY new Manager would need longer and in the league we are now in, as pointed out by another poster you can be mid table and then have a late run and get in the play-off''s. It is a crazy league where you can lose a dozen games and still make the EPL through the play-off''s.

That said, when taking into account the resources at his disposal when compared to the majority of the other clubs in the league, plus the expectation WE should all have.......then I think until the January transfer window would be about right. If we are not playing the type of football already pledged and struggling to compete,  then it would be time for change, as there would still be enough of the season for a new man to come in and make a difference. We are not talking about trying to keep in the EPL full of much bigger clubs with more resources than us, this is different, very different.......we should be one of the main players and if we are not lets not fanny about......     

Until Christmas. We need to be at least in the top six then and preferably in or very near the top two.If we are not promoted next year then it will get more and more difficult each year as the parachute money disappears and then the club will be forced to sell the best players.

A strange question considering Wheeze previously claimed Adams was the new messiah before flip flopping 3 weeks later and even stranger when none of us know what squad he will have at his disposal. I will reserve judgment until we have a team in place.

Only just picked up on this bit of nonsense from LDC.

"Thinking we have such a good squad compared to other teams in the division is absolute arrogance"

What complete and utter tosh. We DO have a superior squad to the vast majority of the league.

We do indeed Splutcho. Better than at least 80% of the other teams. And that''s being conservative. But this is LDC, at the end of the day, who wants us to sell our best players.

[quote user="splutcho"]Only just picked up on this bit of nonsense from LDC.

"Thinking we have such a good squad compared to other teams in the division is absolute arrogance"

What complete and utter tosh. We DO have a superior squad to the vast majority of the league.[/quote]

Not nonsense at all.  Its only superior when it proves its superior.   Good on paper maybe - but on paper means sweet FA when it comes to playing football.   Putting them on a pedestal and saying "they are the best" before a ball has even been kicked is folly.  Let them show they can win matches, score goals, pass consistently to each other and are prepared to battle as they will have to - and then they can be considered superior.   Not before.

I don''t think our squad has much depth, we need a number of players to come in as a few will leave.

We seem to be mentioning a lot of youngsters and of course we have no idea how they will perform.

This is our best chance to go up and Adams is our most important signing. We have built a group around him that very few managers will want so we have built something that may mean we keep him even if we struggle.

I do think he needs some quality additions to many last season showed there limitations, forget that they were with Hughton, poor decision making, poor execution and poor concentration.

For me he does have till November. I expect us to bring in quality if we don''t then I would expect us to be battling for the final two play off places, if we sign quality then there is no reason that we should not be looking for a top four position.

But we have to show some intent early that we have forgotten last season and that we are a team to be reckoned with. We cannot start slow. It is a long season but we need to show that we are promotion candidates.

If we had a normal set up then I would say 10-15 games, as we know a manager needs the transfer window if he is new to the role, but we will not dismantle this new set up with a technical director, head of recruitment, football consultant roles etc.

So I think we have tied our own hands here,

I think as always the transfer window is critical and will show our season, we cannot afford too miss out on players like we did last season. Adams has a tough job and I still have my doubts, but who doesn''t he is new and good luck.

[quote user="hogesar"]We do indeed Splutcho. Better than at least 80% of the other teams. And that''s being conservative. But this is LDC, at the end of the day, who wants us to sell our best players.[/quote] Rubbish.  I wouldn''t be unhappy if Snodgrass went - and best player in a relegated team is nothing to crow about -  apart from that I would keep all the others.  And its no good looking at it and saying its a stronger squad  than most of the others - its wishful thinking until they actually do something - and apart from anything else, its not clear what the squad will be, if some are leaving, which is quite likely.  

[quote user="lake district canary"]I wouldn''t be unhappy if Snodgrass went...[/quote]We''d never have guessed. [:S]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Wiz"]How many games will you give Adams..Its 10 games from me. [/quote]

What happens then, will you boycott Radio Norfolk? [:^)]

[/quote]

Perhaps the Wizard is already doing wheelies with the local nag used for pony rides in Lowestoft in an attempt to get ready for a full assault on mounted police at Carrow Road. Nothing like solid training in preparation for a new season.

Adams will have his goals to achieve. We will remain close to the play-off places for the entire season, but all along not looking like gaining automatic promotion. Then when it comes to about five games to go and we need five wins to make the play-off, we will sack him too late in order to try and get that dead-cat bounce.Then the board will tell us they are searching the entire planet for the best candidate and then give Joe Royal the job. Sound familiar? So in answer to you question Wiz, he wont be sacked early. It doesn''t matter how many games we think he should be given - the board will decide. McNasty will back his man come what may.

He gets until Christmas from me unless we look like Gunn-era City in which case we get rid ASAP.

If the signs are bad, unhappy players and poor performances, I would not give him past December.

lake district canary wrote the following post at 17/06/2014 3:46 PM:

Adams needs a season to get us there, not 10 or 15 games. You are not promoted in October. You''re promoted at the end of April/beginning of May.

---------------------------------------------------------

Like all the pundits rightfully say; ''you can''t win the league by christmas, but you can lose it.''

People are cautious about this man being our manager and rightfully so, it doesn''t mean that we don''t want him to do well.

Seems a lot of people are planning to be very patient!

The objective has to be a top 2 automatic promotion place; that means at Christmas we need to be #1 or #2 - or at the very least within comfortable distance of securing one of those slots by March. Anything outside the top 6 in December will not be acceptable - having said that, I am reasonably confident NA will soon have us in the leading bunch...

Nottingham Forest were 4th after 10 league games last season and yet finished 11th. It''s just one example.

Another good one would be Brighton. They were 13th after 10 and finished in the Playoffs..... oh and even better, how about Derby? they were 15th, where did they finish again? etc. etc. ...and thats just last season.

Unless we are spiralling out of control towards the very bottom of the table, our position after 10 league games is pretty immaterial, and not enough imo to throw away an entire football restructuring. How we are playing and whether we look like a team improving is far more important.

The Championship is a marathon not a sprint.

He has to have a season, and as long as the team is playing well, scoring goals and getting enough results to be competitive for at least a playoff place he should and will get it imo.

"Thinking we have such a good squad compared to other teams in the

division is absolute arrogance.   On paper it might look good, but in

practice it will be as tough as the last three seasons"
So it is absolute arrogance to state that we have a good squad, but not absolute arrogance to state that it will be tough.Why will it be tough ?Why is it not arrogance to say that other teams will be good enough to make it tough for us ?

Same old LDC .. talking us down yet again.

Monty13 wrote the following post at 17/06/2014 9:25 PM:

oh and even better, how about Derby? they were 15th, where did they finish again? etc. etc. ...and thats just last season.

----------------------------------------------------------------

So that had nothing to do with Derby sacking Nigel Clough (who didn''t leave them lower than 14th place at any time in the season) and replacing him with a new manager Steve Mclaren in September? They made the change and then they miraculously went from 14th to 8th in 3 games (8th after 12 games). Mclaren totally changed it around from playing boring nigel clough football, to free flowing football, which I think was remarkable for a championship side full of average championship footballers (chris martin finally scoring regularly for example). If they had appointed the right manager in the first place, i''m sure they would have got the 9 extra points needed to get 2nd place.

So basically, we need to do as well as our squad is capable and not make excuses, its not about risking whether we stay up if we change managers, the question is now can this manager get the players winning and dominating. Our squad (at the moment) is unquestionably the best in the league, if the team isn''t showing that, it rests on him....end of, no excuses.

(main sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_Derby_County_F.C._season

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/tabl)

[quote user="City1st"]"Thinking we have such a good squad compared to other teams in the

division is absolute arrogance.   On paper it might look good, but in

practice it will be as tough as the last three seasons"
So it is absolute arrogance to state that we have a good squad, but not absolute arrogance to state that it will be tough.Why will it be tough ?Why is it not arrogance to say that other teams will be good enough to make it tough for us ?Same old LDC .. talking us down yet again.[/quote]

Same warped logic from City 1st.   It will be tough.  Guaranteed.......and I never said we didn''t have a good squad - just that they are not the strongest squad until they have proved they are.

As long as we are three points from mid-table in January we know things will end well.

Oh, hang on .....

[quote user="woostercanary"]As long as we are three points from mid-table in January we know things will end well.

Oh, hang on .....[/quote]

[;)]  Nice try.....  but when in mid table, it can go either way, not necessarily down either.