Sign in to follow this  
Newton

Norwich put £6.5M price tag on Snodgrass

Hull Mail claims :-

Canaries want £6.5m for Tigers target Snodgrass

Norwich City winger Robert Snodgrass has always been a prominent figure on Hull City''s summer shopping list and Scotland''s Daily Record is continuing to link the Tigers with a swoop.

But the Record claims City will now be asked to stump up an unlikely £6.5m for their "top target", even though the Scottish international has just 12 months left on his current deal.

Snodgrass is well-liked at the KC Stadium but there is apparently work still to be done before the two clubs can agree to a deal

If he is too go this figure is more like it !

Does his contract matter? He cant agree a Bosman until January anyway. If the club thinks the millions of pounds that would come with promotion outweight this transfer fee and that they think Snoddy increases our chances of going back up, you could argue keeping him and letting him go for a free in 12 months would be the better deal.

Im amazed the general perception that this fee is too high. We paid 3.5m for a player unproven at Premiership level. Ok so he''s not my favourite player, but he''s certainly a proven Premiership player and has scored vital goals for us at this level. Matt Jarvis and Stephen Fletcher went for over 10m each, so I dont see why similar figures shouldnt be spoken about for Snoddy.

Clubs probably think we''re a soft touch. That nice club up the road, Im sure theyll let us have him at mates rates. I hope McNasty proves to be worthy of his moniker and shows his usual steel

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

Does his contract matter?[/quote]

The first reaction to this is "well of course it matters...". But the more people think about it what GMD says is true.I''m afraid that a lot of contracts are not worth the paper they are written on. The fact is that, practically, if RS decides he''d prefer to ply his trade on Humberside than in Norfolk, and the Hull City people are happy to shell out 5m+ , then we are left with little option to let him go.Whether that''s morally right is a different argument, but it''s one all football clubs must live with.If RS wants to go and we get offered 5 to 6 m, then I''d accept it, put the money to strengthening the squad in key areas, and move on, personally.

Unfortunately too many numpties believe all this guff, and still imagine ''buying a player'' is the same as buying a pintPerhaps the OP could tell us what this £6.5m figure isThe ''transfer fee'' ?The ''transfer fee'', plus any adds on ... appearances ?The ''transfer fee'', plus any adds on ... appearances, plus agents fees ?is it the total payable ?

or is it just specualtion on the part of the media ................... that over excites the not too bright ?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

Does his contract matter?[/quote]

The first reaction to this is "well of course it matters...". But the more people think about it what GMD says is true.

I''m afraid that a lot of contracts are not worth the paper they are written on. The fact is that, practically, if RS decides he''d prefer to ply his trade on Humberside than in Norfolk, and the Hull City people are happy to shell out 5m+ , then we are left with little option to let him go.

Whether that''s morally right is a different argument, but it''s one all football clubs must live with.

If RS wants to go and we get offered 5 to 6 m, then I''d accept it, put the money to strengthening the squad in key areas, and move on, personally.
[/quote]

Contracts matter as it strengthens/weakens the selling clubs position and has a big effect on the price of a player. Also, despite the often spoken phrase of ''if a player wants to leave then it doesn''t matter about a contract'' - I''d say that isn''t true. There are plenty of players every transfer window who want to change clubs, but as they are on long-term contracts its impossible for them to force a move.

Running down a contract is a preferable option for the player, who can normal get a large signing on fee or higher wages due to the lack of transfer fee. Clubs selling players in the last year of their contract is usually more motivated by the club being worried the player will refuse to move rather than a buying club trying to force a sale.

So yes, contracts do matter. I suspect if Snoddy had 2 or 3 years left on his we would be discussing the chances of him moving club as much as we are the chances of Howson leaving (a better player than Snodgrass IMO).

This figure is in the right ballpark. If Hull were thinking of getting him for £4 million then they are living in a dreamworld.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][. Also, despite the often spoken phrase of ''if a player wants to leave then it doesn''t matter about a contract'' - I''d say that isn''t true. [/quote]Technically, BYG, of course you are correct. Any club ultimately has the right to hold a player to his contract, refuse to let him move, and either simply not play him, or relegate him to the youth team. Many suggested that was the fate NCFC should reserve for Wes last January.But, practically , it serves absolutely no purpose to the club , other than possibly denying a rival that player''s services. So the reality of the situation, is, I repeat, that contracts tend to go out of the window if a) a player indicates he wants to leave and b) someone else wants to buy him.The relationship  qed contract to fee is another matter, of course...which is why clubs want to sell good and early when a better price can be forced.

How disappointing. The loss of Snodgrass will materially reduce our chances of promotion. He is worth much than £6.5m to us with a £100m prize at stake. I fully accept that the team will have to be totally dismantled if we fail this season, however.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]How disappointing. The loss of Snodgrass will materially reduce our chances of promotion. He is worth much than £6.5m to us with a £100m prize at stake.[/quote]Hmm. Difficult to quantify that, HC, and no way as clear-cut as you are suggesting . If, for example, Adams goes for a faster, more direct attacking approach, then RS may not be terribly well suited to that setup, and may not get the kind of games count that he did under Hughton. It could well be that the 6.5 m mentioned will be better used in purchasing a player more suited to the new régime. Time will tell.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][. Also, despite the often spoken phrase of ''if a player wants to leave then it doesn''t matter about a contract'' - I''d say that isn''t true. [/quote]

Technically, BYG, of course you are correct. Any club ultimately has the right to hold a player to his contract, refuse to let him move, and either simply not play him, or relegate him to the youth team. Many suggested that was the fate NCFC should reserve for Wes last January.

But, practically , it serves absolutely no purpose to the club , other than possibly denying a rival that player''s services. So the reality of the situation, is, I repeat, that contracts tend to go out of the window if a) a player indicates he wants to leave and b) someone else wants to buy him.

The relationship  qed contract to fee is another matter, of course...which is why clubs want to sell good and early when a better price can be forced.
[/quote]

I don''t think you need to be as extreme as relegating the player to the reserves etc. Players such as Fabregas (as a high profile example) have made it fairly clear they''ve wanted to move from Arsenal in the past, but due to being on long-term contracts they were denied the chance to leave but still played on happily. It doesn''t benefit a player to be frozen out and most will only kick-off enough for it to happen as a last resort, many players who give their all in every game want to change clubs, they just know that the best chance of that happening is by being proffessional and impressing potential buyers enough to offer more money. That is certainly more common than the limited examples of players who throw their toys out of the pram and end up in the reserves.

That''s why I said '' ultimately has the right, etc'', BYG. One would hope that things would be sorted out long before then. OK, there are examples like the Fabregas one at Arsenal, but to be fair, clubs like Arsenal are in a much stronger position to play hardball over this than people like Norwich.All I''m saying is that in the vast majority of cases with smaller clubs, if a player makes it very clear that he wants to move, and someone else is prepred to stump up the cash to buy him out, then that player will move clubs. I''m pretty convinced that the only reason why Wes did not leave last Jan was that no-one was prepared to buy him for what we were asking. And he had to eat humble pie. Snodders is in a much stronger position than Wes, and if he wants to go, he WILL go.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]That''s why I said '' ultimately has the right, etc'', BYG. One would hope that things would be sorted out long before then. OK, there are examples like the Fabregas one at Arsenal, but to be fair, clubs like Arsenal are in a much stronger position to play hardball over this than people like Norwich.

All I''m saying is that in the vast majority of cases with smaller clubs, if a player makes it very clear that he wants to move, and someone else is prepred to stump up the cash to buy him out, then that player will move clubs. I''m pretty convinced that the only reason why Wes did not leave last Jan was that no-one was prepared to buy him for what we were asking. And he had to eat humble pie. Snodders is in a much stronger position than Wes, and if he wants to go, he WILL go.
[/quote]

Of course if a player wants to leave and someone pays the asking price then they will be off - that''s true of any player at any club.

This idea that players will go around stamping their feet refusing to play if they aren''t granted the move they want is very much the exception to the general rule that 99% of players are professional and will keep playing if asked to. Players also know that the damage to their reputation and potential earning abilities after being stuck with the youth team is far more damaging than the effort it takes to keep playing for a club even if they would rather not.

Snodgrass didn''t leave in Jan because Norwich have proven they aren''t a selling club, would have had to be a massive offer to tempt them. Any clubs interesting in Snodgrass are going to have the access to the funds it would have taken to get him. Talk of him going to Celtic is fanciful, they wouldn''t be able to get close to his wage demands, let alone the transfer fee for him.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Snodgrass didn''t leave in Jan because Norwich have proven they aren''t a selling club, would have had to be a massive offer to tempt them.

[/quote]Was there any real suggestion that Snods would leave in the January transfer window ? I don''t recall any . The only player I remember being touted was , as I said , Wes.As for your first sentence, I suppose the ''valuation'' alleged today is designed to see just how serious RS about moving, and moreover how serios Hull and maybe Celtic are in stumping up the cash.

Fair price IMO

Consistent premier league goal scorer. Guaranteed 7+ from him really.

[quote user="ricardo"]This figure is in the right ballpark. If Hull were thinking of getting him for £4 million then they are living in a dreamworld.
[/quote]

Huzzah!

Hope to god we keep him, like the majority of NCFC fans do.

If we don''t, however, and with 1 year remaining, 6mill + is certainly closer to a realistic figure. I''d only sell if he was very intent on leaving, though.

[quote user="hogesar"]Hope to god we keep him, like the majority of NCFC fans do.

If we don''t, however, and with 1 year remaining, 6mill + is certainly closer to a realistic figure. I''d only sell if he was very intent on leaving, though.[/quote]

How do you know you speak for the majority?   There are plenty who have mixed opinions about him and there were plenty of calls for him to be dropped earlier in the season when he was off  form.  Please don''t quote the POTS as a reason - because  he almost certainly got less than 50% of the vote for that and Olsson, Ruddy, and others would have got plenty of votes. 

Because LDC - I live in Norwich.

Because i go to every home game.

So i''m surrounded constantly by NCFC fans.

And the only one''s - surprise surprise - who don''t want Snodgrass to say - are a vocal few on here.

I don''t even need to quote POTS to tell you all the above, but you can throw it in there as well if you like.

Even if he only got 35% of the vote. That doesn''t mean the other 65% didn''t rate him. Just that they rated Olsson / Ruddy as having a better season.

[quote user="lake district canary"]there were plenty of calls for him to be dropped earlier in the season when he was off  form...[/quote]Mainly from you. [:S]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]there were plenty of calls for him to be dropped earlier in the season when he was off  form...[/quote]Mainly from you. [:S][/quote]

Not true. I am not his only critic, by a long way.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]there were plenty of calls for him to be dropped earlier in the season when he was off  form...[/quote]Mainly from you. [:S][/quote]

Not true. I am not his only critic, by a long way.

[/quote]Well done for ignoring Hogesar''s valid points[Y]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]there were plenty of calls for him to be dropped earlier in the season when he was off  form...[/quote]Mainly from you. [:S][/quote]Not true. I am not his only critic, by a long way.

[/quote]Well done for ignoring Hogesar''s valid points[Y][/quote]

Who the f*** asked you? 

The conversation with Hogesar was over, I questioned him and he answered. No problem. 

So you can climb back in your cage now.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Bl**dy Hell, Lake.Watching you and Morty/TC is like watching two schoolboys squabbling over the last winegum in the sweetie bag in the playground.[/quote]

I don''t like winegums.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I don''t like winegums.

[/quote]I love ''em. But since the quack informed me that I was borderline diabetic, I''m afraid all sweeties are off limits now. Except those nice sugar free ones you can get from the sweet shop just round the corner from Jarrolds.

Poor Lakey, did I touch a raw nerve?

[:(]

And Reggie, actually the recurring theme here is you and Lakey trying desperately to prove who is less of a bell-end.

For your info, you''re both losing[Y]

Hull scored 38 goals last season, Snodgrass has scored 6 in both his PL seasons. A million pounds a goal from midfield seems like very good value to me.