Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Ricky van Ronaldowinkel

Watching back the Germany portugal highlights, I was a carbon copy of watching rvw for norwich. Great movement and never found like ronaldo for portugal. If we were to find someone on his wavelength is there any hope we''ll find the ricky we all hoped for? Ronaldo with playera that can assist him is an incredible player but he looked no better than rvw at his worst versus Germany. Ridiculous comparison aside. How can we get rvw firing and will we bother try or will he be outta the door asap?

we need to get his confidence up. the boys got talent (anyone watching him play for sporting would agree, fantastic awareness)

[quote user="mrs miggins"]we need to get his confidence up. the boys got talent (anyone watching him play for sporting would agree, fantastic awareness)[/quote]
Based on what - youtube videos?

Based on the fact that he''s made a great living, and built a reputation as a good footballer, having played for Holland. He''d be our best player if we could get home scoring. Don''t you think it''s a bit funny how all these free scoring strikers have become bad players in our squad (Holt, Becchio, RVW, Hooper). What''s the common denominator?

Totally agree Buzz.

It''s either a MASSIVE coincidence that ALL the strikers turned bad as soon as they signed for us... or something else. And seeing as we have the handy example of Holt who was there before Hughton and after, we can be fairly sure that Hughton''s coaching was not in the favour of scoring goals.

And yes - YouTube videos, easy as it is to say that with disdain, are in actual fact videos of real live events - so he really did score all those goals, like it or not, and he really did play for Netherlands full squad - like it not, and he really was coveted by top European clubs before we snaffled him up.

I love the fact some fans are unable to believe a player who has been poor for Norwich could be good and has been good for others - I mean look at the amount of players who were poor for us and have gone on to prove themselves - Chris Martin and James Vaughan just 2 of the most recent ones.

As you say Jimmy - ridiculous comparison.

On his day Ronaldo is a one man team. He has pace, perfect first touch, strong on the ball, can dribble past a player or 5, is an incredible finisher from anywhere and has a cupboard full of tricks. An assist is to get the ball to him anywhere on the pitch. Must come as a bit of a shock to his teammates if they now have more to do than that. Possibly even Ronaldo can lose form now and again??

Now by comparison RvW has? Well the argument seems to go that if the team can be set up so that it is given to him on a plate and preferably with nobody else dining within two tables he might get into double figures of goals for the season.

Harsh, But is it that far from the truth?

Have we ever wanted a player to succeed more? Even when the evidence suggests otherwise we still continue with the hope. Despite what it may appear from this post, I would still love him to succeed.

But it is not what we can do to help him, well not yet anyway. He has got to show that he can do it himself. He needs to come back to pre season strong and fit and needsto find the back of the net a few times, pre season and possibly even for the U21s - then he will have earnt his place and perhaps he and us can start believing again.

And presumably Sussex you will say the same of all the other strikers who have ''lost form'' for us in the last couple of seasons.

The team has not got to be set up just for RvW but it must be set up to score goals.

Having watched too much of the World Cup I cannot remember too many goals scored, or success gained, in the manner that we attacked last season. In fact the only teams that seemed to take a similar restrictive, defensive approach as we did last season have been the most boring and lowest goal scorers.

Whether RvW stays with us or not the need to improve our attacking intent must be obvious to everyone.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]Well the argument seems to go that if the team can be set up so that it is given to him on a plate and preferably with nobody else dining within two tables he might get into double figures of goals for the season.[/quote]And how many other strikers over the years have been exactly the same...Players like Lineker, Muller, Inzaghi and numerous others have made a great career out of being in the right place at the right time and being ''tap-in men'', so why was it perfectly ok for them to receive the supply they''d thrive on, but RVW apparently has to change his game???Andy Cole was as wasteful a striker as I''ve seen in recent decades for Man Utd, and we used to joke about how he often needed 4-5 chances to score, but because Man Utd gave him those 4-5 chances each game, he DID score, and scored very well for them.Of course a striker SHOULD score freely when given chances on a plate, but they still need to be waiting at the table to receive the plate, and they need the waiter to actually bring them the plate instead of dropping it on the way to them, or simply giving it to another diner...

He played for Holland in two friendly matches and scored some goals at club level against extremely weak defences and poor goalkeepers. Yes, CH didn''t help our strikers but neither Holt nor Hooper flopped as catastrophically as RVW. But keeping pressing replay on those old youtube videos if you want to keep deluding yourselves.

I just want us to see the gamble out until the bitter end. Give him his chance at redemption in the championship with a new philosiphy and see if he can turn it round.

I agree totally that we have got to set up to attack, and I think we will be.

The problem with RvW is that on what we have seen at CR is that he does not appear to be an instinctive striker, even on a conversion ratio of 1 in 5 he would have got a few more last season. For me if you are going to play somebody in the mould of the players you quote Indy they have to be clinical. If not they need to bring something else to the team. Other than trying to hassle the back 4 I am not sure RvW brings much else.

As I said before I would still love him to succeed. The humble pie would taste really sweet!

I completely agree, give him a chance and remain positive. If it doesn''t happen for him with decent support and at a lower level then we can all move on.

Kangaroo Court wrote the following post at 23/06/2014 6:33 AM:

Based on what - youtube videos?

------------------------------------------------

No, on tv and (many) streams...youtube videos can make gary doherty look good.

RVWRVWE isn''t part of the future of Norwich City football club.

If Lafferty comes in, alongside Grabban and Hoops then RVW will never play for us again.

If we don''t find a suitable suitor, I can''t see us going into the new season and just cutting him out completely. He''s potentially the best player in that league if he can get his head right and we''d be daft to have him just sit there doing nothing.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]If we don''t find a suitable suitor, I can''t see us going into the new season and just cutting him out completely. He''s potentially the best player in that league if he can get his head right and we''d be daft to have him just sit there doing nothing.[/quote]

no evidence to sugeest he is the best player in the championship at all.. he''s never played in it for one, and given it''s more physcial nature suggests he''d get bullied due to the lack of this in his own game.

I say potentially for a reason. He was scoring goals before he joined us and getting called up by the Netherlands, if he was to fulfill that potential, he''d bang in 25 goals next season and be arguably the best player there. More likely is that he''ll find it a bit easier but not that easy if he stayed but bag a good 10 goals or so, therefore he''s far better in our squad than rotting in the reserves.

Also, look at that skimpy little runt, Ross McCormack. He doesn''t struggle with the ''physical'' championship. Matt Smith can do all his dirty work while he concentrates on scoring goals. Perhaps RvW needs Lafferty or Grabban to be the guy that does all the running and he can be left to do what he supposedly does best, score goals.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I say potentially for a reason. He was scoring goals before he joined us and getting called up by the Netherlands, if he was to fulfill that potential, he''d bang in 25 goals next season and be arguably the best player there. More likely is that he''ll find it a bit easier but not that easy if he stayed but bag a good 10 goals or so, therefore he''s far better in our squad than rotting in the reserves.[/quote]

he played twice for his country in 4 years.. one of those against Indonesia, half this forum would probably look decent playing against them.

Agreed Jimmy. RVW would definitely be better with a big hard-working strike partner up front. If he''d have played alongside Holty in the championship season instead of Chris Martin (who is actually quite similar to RVW in that he''s not pacey or physically imposing), I''d wager Ricky would''ve scored more than Martin or Jackson.

One thing though - if he is going to do well in this league he really needs to put on some weight.

Not sure I agree with the need to bulk up, especially if we have a target man available. IMO the biggest differences in the Championship compared to the Premiership are a lack of pace in defense, fewer box to box type midfielders, and and worse goalkeeping.

surfer - Well I''m a pro-Wolfswinkel fan, but I was looking through the top scorers lists for the championship for the last few seasons to find a player that is physically similar to RVW and who''s scored lots in the Championship. Basically, they''re all either faster or stronger than him, unless they''re great all-rounders like Kevin Philips. But even he''s stronger than Wolfy. Basically, RVW''s game is about finishing (when he''s got the confidence and fitness anyway), but that''s not quite enough in the championship. So I think in order to be able to actually get his shots away he needs to get stronger to prevent being muscled off the ball so much. I just think it would help his game no end - particularly as he is not a pacey type of player.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I just want us to see the gamble out until the bitter end. Give him his chance at redemption in the championship with a new philosiphy and see if he can turn it round.[/quote]
That''s like cheering on a horse as it trots along in last place in the Grand National, or keeping hold of some shares as the price declines towards zero, or going all-in on a nothing hand in a game of Poker. We''ve had a whole season to see what a failure the signing was, so no need for more gambling. Just accept the loss and move on.

Kangeroo court - if you think one season is all you should get to prove yourself it''s a good you weren''t making the decisions about Iwan Roberts after his first season. Not to mention countless others.