Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Expectations

If Reading could get 106 points and Leicester and Newcastle 102 then -

A minimum of 100 points and some Silverware....

Even if we lose two, three even four of last seasons team, with the resources the club has right now my minimum expectation is promotion through the play-off''s. Its a golden chance to bounce straight back, I expect a bit of a roller coaster, particular early doors, but also expect promotion!  

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lake district canary"]"Reggie - It seems that you and Lake, not for the first time, are setting your sights low, and are not expecting great things."

HAVING NO EXPECTATIONS DOES NOT MEAN HAVING LOW EXPECTATIONS.  

[/quote]Oh dear Lake.You are wriggling on the line again.Is the best you can do on this really be splitting hairs between ''low'' and ''no''.?Can you not actually say something positive for once in your life ?Dearie dearie me.[/quote]

You really have no idea, do you?    I''ll try and explain again.   Having no expectations means you are not allowing your ego to dictate what happens - either for predicting doom and gloom scenarios or for predicting super results.   Your continual refusal to understand that is what makes your continual tirade against some posters look so out of place.    Demanding or expecting is just noise and in football is more likely to lead to frustration and anger if you are not getting what you expected.    If you want to just be one of the few on here that are continually frustrated and angry about the football all the time, then that is ok for you, but your continual lack of understanding for my and others positions shows a lack of understanding on quite a big scale.   

I always expect a comment from Flake District. I expect it to be condescending, hypocritical, needlessly wordy, boring and evasive or off topic.

Those are low expectations.

Not caring one way or the other if he does or doesn''t comment is no expectations but also wishful thinking.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Even if we lose two, three even four of last seasons team, with the resources the club has right now my minimum expectation is promotion through the play-off''s. Its a golden chance to bounce straight back, I expect a bit of a roller coaster, particular early doors, but also expect promotion!  [/quote]Careful, Mark. You''ve ''expected'' three different things there.You''ll be getting the thick end of Lakey''s tongue soon, as apparently it''s not permissible to expect (or demand) anything .I bet he''s one of those people who, when he checks into a hotel and finds that the room is not correct (frayed bedsheets, dirty bath, that sort of thing) he just meekly says "ooh better not make a fuss, as I cannot demand or expect anything from the hotel owners".Whereas most of us would just phone reception and get it fixed.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Dubai Mark"]Even if we lose two, three even four of last seasons team, with the resources the club has right now my minimum expectation is promotion through the play-off''s. Its a golden chance to bounce straight back, I expect a bit of a roller coaster, particular early doors, but also expect promotion!  [/quote]Careful, Mark. You''ve ''expected'' three different things there.You''ll be getting the thick end of Lakey''s tongue soon, as apparently it''s not permissible to expect (or demand) anything .I bet he''s one of those people who, when he checks into a hotel and finds that the room is not correct (frayed bedsheets, dirty bath, that sort of thing) he just meekly says "ooh better not make a fuss, as I cannot demand or expect anything from the hotel owners".Whereas most of us would just phone reception and get it fixed.[/quote]

Wrong again Reggie.  You''re doing well.   I am quite happy discussing expectations and their merits with people. However, when I''ve explained to you my position, you either don''t - or won''t - try to understand it, you merely try to denigrate it.   Argue or discuss and we can have a decent conversation - just trying to put your own version of what someone is saying and then adding sarcasm and  trying to belittle them is not discussion as I know it.   It is more the tactic of City 1st and others of his ilk.    Just try and be reasonable and you won''t get half as much flack from me as you do.  

The only expectation I have when I buy my occasional match ticket is that I will see a team that is trying its hardest.   The tactics may be wrong, the players may be off form, we may win, we may lose - all that is largely out of my control - and I will accept the outcome with either joy or disappointment.  I hope we will win every match and will believe we can win any match - but I would never expect it.  Now please do me the credit of accepting what I say and not trying to parade my views inaccurately just because you disagree with them.  NO expectations does not mean LOW expectations.  Now surely its not that difficult to understand - but then you don''t appear to want to understand, preferring just to rubbish it.

Lake,  please give me the credit of knowing the difference between ''low'' and ''no''. That''s what gets up my nose (and evidently others'') ; the patronising way in which you put your views forward. Here''s the deal then. You knock all the patronising , lecturing stuff on the head and I''ll quit the sarcasm. How does that sound ?Re understanding...What I truly do not get is that even before a ball has been kicked in anger, you are quality-managing and downgrading the expectations of this , crucial, season. On the one hand you ceaselessly tell us that the fans can have a real impact on the standard of the team displays. Then , above ,you say that it''s all ''out of our control ''. Of course I recognise that there are things we cannot control, but it''s now that we as a group of fans can make clear , in a united voice to the management/players just what is demanded (yes I make no apologies for using that word) of them over the next 9 months.In short, I guess what the difference between you and me is that I am making it clear that I expect to aim high  and put in a bid for promotion FROM THE START. Whereas the message that you give out is you''ll love it if we we win, but, if we don''t then never mind, there''s plenty more games and, whatever, you can live with it. Perhaps you can explain how I''ve got that wrong or ''misrepresented'' that.

I wonder what the club''s Board expectations are? My guess is an immediate bounce back, but with a contingency plan in case it doesnt happen, but everything will certainly be geared towards achieving promotion, although they too will also expect to have some challenges along the way. 

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Lake,  please give me the credit of knowing the difference between ''low'' and ''no''. [/quote]

But that was the problem.   You didn''t appear to know the difference, hence the patronising replies.  And as for me and the patronising stuff, I didn''t write anything on this thread until you started with this earlier in the thread -

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]To aim high is the only acceptable option

for me GMD. I think we should go for one of the to 2 spots . There is

no earthly reason why it should not be within our capabilities. That

way, if we do fall short, at least we''ll have the play-offs as a fall

back position. Anything less is selling ourselves short and reminiscent of the attitudes of the ''easily satisfied'' brigade.[/quote]

Patronising and misrepresenting people who have just as much concern for

our club as you do, yet you speak from some kind of lofty holier than

thou position.    The problems with the last manager were splitting the

fans and it could have gone either way last season, a point here or a ball going in rather than hitting a post there - hence the board

sticking with him.   The "easily satisfied" comments you keep coming out

with sound like someone who thinks they are "better" or who thought they are superior in some way because they think they were right.   There''s  nothing to crow about though - we were still relegated.   

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]. Here''s the deal then. You knock all the

patronising , lecturing stuff on the head and I''ll quit the sarcasm.

How does that sound ?[/quote] 

As you were the one that started with the patronising stuff before I even wrote anything on this thread, perhaps it is you who ought to stop, then perhaps I''ll soften my stance and be a little more sympathetic.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]I wonder what the club''s Board expectations are? My guess is an immediate bounce back, but with a contingency plan in case it doesnt happen, but everything will certainly be geared towards achieving promotion, although they too will also expect to have some challenges along the way. [/quote]

The aim and the objective has to be promotion, and every one of us hopes we will achieve it.   Expecting it though is different and I did get a little concerned when McNally spoke out in his interview last season saying that the board had left Hughton in no  doubt as to what was expected of him.   I find the language of business and boards does not sit well with sport.  It is a business, but I don''t believe heavy expectations on a sports team or manager is helpful.   Teams/sportsmen play best when they don''t let the pressure get in their way - and the constant drip drip of people saying they expect this they expect that only (imo) makes that pressure more prominent.   Sure the board can have aims, but you can be top of the league and still lose to the bottom team in the division, so expecting anything in sport imo is fraught with difficulties.    

I would be happier if the board would say that the aim is promotion, give the team the best possible backing they can,  then shutting up and just letting the team get on with it.    Simply piling on the pressure is bound to have a detrimental effect.  

Oh well. Don''t say I didn''t try. I''m not entirely sure where I wrote patronising stuff, but there we are.I''m sorry, LDC, but I do think that you are (or at the very least, show signs of being) easily satisfied. Other people evidently feel the same though may not dress it up in what you regard as immoderate terms. I really cannot see how you can deny that , given some of the stuff you wrote last season excusing Hughton and the team of some of the excesses we saw. Week after week you got into spats with countless people on here over this. So don''t go pretending it didn''t happen.  Ultimately, you totally miss the point here. I''m not saying anything from a ''holier than thou'' or ''better'' or ''superior'' standpoint. That''s as inaccurate a representation as the silly tirades against me that I''d suggested that buying a season ticket buys me special rights (though once again I''m happy to confirm you never wrote that ) .But likewise, I never said that. All that I''m saying to you and a few others is that I''m not ashamed to have high expectations for this coming season. and I''m not ashamed to say them in public.The vast majority of people on this thread have indicated that a strong promotion push from the start is what they expect from the club this season. To take as charitable a viewpoint as I can , you are being a lot less bullish than that. Fair enough, that''s your view, but don''t be surprised if those of us who demand a little more from Norwich City than you, sometimes question your thought process.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Oh well. Don''t say I didn''t try. I''m not entirely sure where I wrote patronising stuff, but there we are.I''m sorry, LDC, but I do think that you are (or at the very least, show signs of being) easily satisfied. Other people evidently feel the same though may not dress it up in what you regard as immoderate terms. I really cannot see how you can deny that , given some of the stuff you wrote last season excusing Hughton and the team of some of the excesses we saw. Week after week you got into spats with countless people on here over this. So don''t go pretending it didn''t happen.  Ultimately, you totally miss the point here. I''m not saying anything from a ''holier than thou'' or ''better'' or ''superior'' standpoint. That''s as inaccurate a representation as the silly tirades against me that I''d suggested that buying a season ticket buys me special rights (though once again I''m happy to confirm you never wrote that ) .But likewise, I never said that. All that I''m saying to you and a few others is that I''m not ashamed to have high expectations for this coming season. and I''m not ashamed to say them in public.The vast majority of people on this thread have indicated that a strong promotion push from the start is what they expect from the club this season. To take as charitable a viewpoint as I can , you are being a lot less bullish than that. Fair enough, that''s your view, but don''t be surprised if those of us who demand a little more from Norwich City than you, sometimes question your thought process.[/quote]

I''m not surprised at all.  My thought processes do seem a little at odds with plenty of people on here.  I will always believe that the problems Hughton had  were beyond his control - the expectation of fans (there''s that word again) - the old players not happy with a different style - the new players coming in to a club not comfortable with itself - and injuries to several key players throughout last season.    That is the main reason I got into spats, not because I was in some kind of love in with  Hughton.  I merely tried to express a wider view of things than place all the blame on him.  Ok, he failed and we move on - I just don''t want the same thing to happen to Adams - too much expectation leading to frustration and yet another manager change.  

As for "easily satisfied" - do you really think I sound like someone who is easily satisfied?  

[quote user="lake district canary"]As for "easily satisfied" - do you really think I sound like someone who is easily satisfied?  

[/quote]Lake...on the basis that whatever I write in response to that, you''re going to disagree with, I''ll leave it for others to comment. You know my views on this.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Jesus Christ.[/quote]

You may be a lot of things, but JC is not one of them.

[/quote]You''re even Olympic grade boring when you''re attempting humour.But please do us all a favour, and meet up with Reggie, and just get it on.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Jesus Christ.[/quote]You may be a lot of things, but JC is not one of them. [/quote]You''re even Olympic grade boring when you''re attempting humour.But please do us all a favour, and meet up with Reggie, and just get it on.[/quote]

Sorry if you''ve been feeling left out, morty........say something interesting then we can all talk to you.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Jesus Christ.[/quote]You may be a lot of things, but JC is not one of them. [/quote]You''re even Olympic grade boring when you''re attempting humour.But please do us all a favour, and meet up with Reggie, and just get it on.[/quote]

Sorry if you''ve been feeling left out, morty........say something interesting then we can all talk to you.

[/quote]That''s one thing I will agree with you about LDC . You may say a lot of stuff that I vehemently am at odds with, but it''s always interesting and thought provoking.Contrast that with Morty,(or whatever he''s calling himself today), who just trots out the same old line toeing, platitudes ,  kindergarten insults and name calling.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Jesus Christ.[/quote]You may be a lot of things, but JC is not one of them. [/quote]You''re even Olympic grade boring when you''re attempting humour.But please do us all a favour, and meet up with Reggie, and just get it on.[/quote]

[/quote]Trust me, not in the slightest.But it might please you that in yours and Reggies "Who is less of a bell-end" competition, he is winning at the moment[Y]

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Jesus Christ.[/quote]You may be a lot of things, but JC is not one of them. [/quote]You''re even Olympic grade boring when you''re attempting humour.But please do us all a favour, and meet up with Reggie, and just get it on.[/quote]

[/quote]That''s one thing I will agree with you about LDC . You may say a lot of stuff that I vehemently am at odds with, but it''s always interesting and thought provoking.Contrast that with Morty,(or whatever he''s calling himself today), who just trots out the same old line toeing, platitudes ,  kindergarten insults and name calling.[/quote]You''re just going to have to deal with the fact that more than one person thinks you''re a tit, rather than make up conspiracy theories about multiple accounts, I''m afraid.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Jesus Christ.[/quote]You may be a lot of things, but JC is not one of them. [/quote]You''re even Olympic grade boring when you''re attempting humour.But please do us all a favour, and meet up with Reggie, and just get it on.[/quote]Sorry if you''ve been feeling left out, morty........say something interesting then we can all talk to you.[/quote]Trust me, not in the slightest.But it might please you that in yours and Reggies "Who is less of a bell-end" competition, he is winning at the moment[Y][/quote]You might need to widen your vocabulary a bit morty, your "bell-end" and "d(ck" comments are so overused they are becoming meaningless...a bit like the majority of your posts.....[Y]  [:P]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Jesus Christ.[/quote]You may be a lot of things, but JC is not one of them. [/quote]You''re even Olympic grade boring when you''re attempting humour.But please do us all a favour, and meet up with Reggie, and just get it on.[/quote]Sorry if you''ve been feeling left out, morty........say something interesting then we can all talk to you.[/quote]Trust me, not in the slightest.But it might please you that in yours and Reggies "Who is less of a bell-end" competition, he is winning at the moment[Y][/quote]You might need to widen your vocabulary a bit morty, your "bell-end" and "d(ck" comments are so overused they are becoming meaningless...a bit like the majority of your posts.....[Y]  [:P]

[/quote]Au contraire, they continue to describe you, and your little chum, perfectly.

[quote user="lake district canary"]You might need to widen your vocabulary a bit morty, your "bell-end" and "d(ck" comments are so overused they are becoming meaningless...a bit like the majority of your posts.....[Y]  [:P]

[/quote]Give him credit Lake. He has just added ''tit'' to his burgeoning vocabulary.Truly the William Shakespeare of Pink Un forum.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Jesus Christ.[/quote]You may be a lot of things, but JC is not one of them. [/quote]You''re even Olympic grade boring when you''re attempting humour.But please do us all a favour, and meet up with Reggie, and just get it on.[/quote]Sorry if you''ve been feeling left out, morty........say something interesting then we can all talk to you.[/quote]Trust me, not in the slightest.But it might please you that in yours and Reggies "Who is less of a bell-end" competition, he is winning at the moment[Y][/quote]You might need to widen your vocabulary a bit morty, your "bell-end" and "d(ck" comments are so overused they are becoming meaningless...a bit like the majority of your posts.....[Y]  [:P][/quote]Au contraire, they continue to describe you, and your little chum, perfectly.[/quote]

I get it....this is where we keep going all day because you can never let anyone else have the last word......and that is not an expectation (to get back on topic, if that''s possible) - it is a certainty.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Jesus Christ.[/quote]You may be a lot of things, but JC is not one of them. [/quote]You''re even Olympic grade boring when you''re attempting humour.But please do us all a favour, and meet up with Reggie, and just get it on.[/quote]Sorry if you''ve been feeling left out, morty........say something interesting then we can all talk to you.[/quote]Trust me, not in the slightest.But it might please you that in yours and Reggies "Who is less of a bell-end" competition, he is winning at the moment[Y][/quote]You might need to widen your vocabulary a bit morty, your "bell-end" and "d(ck" comments are so overused they are becoming meaningless...a bit like the majority of your posts.....[Y]  [:P][/quote]Au contraire, they continue to describe you, and your little chum, perfectly.[/quote]

I get it....this is where we keep going all day because you can never let anyone else have the last word......and that is not an expectation (to get back on topic, if that''s possible) - it is a certainty.

[/quote]Yes, please get back to your lovers tiff with Reggie, we are all enthralled.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

I get it....this is where we keep going all day because you can never let anyone else have the last word......

[/quote]

Somebody please tell me Lakey has not printed this as my irony meter is broken.

The irony of this ,of course, is that Morty''s (though I suspect irony is one of the many things that passes him by)  insults he uses are so much more appropriate to himself.Anyway, Morts, shouldn''t you be in lessons or something ?. Didn''t double maths start ah 10.30 ?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Jesus Christ.[/quote]You may be a lot of things, but JC is not one of them. [/quote]You''re even Olympic grade boring when you''re attempting humour.But please do us all a favour, and meet up with Reggie, and just get it on.[/quote]Sorry if you''ve been feeling left out, morty........say something interesting then we can all talk to you.[/quote]Trust me, not in the slightest.But it might please you that in yours and Reggies "Who is less of a bell-end" competition, he is winning at the moment[Y][/quote]You might need to widen your vocabulary a bit morty, your "bell-end" and "d(ck" comments are so overused they are becoming meaningless...a bit like the majority of your posts.....[Y]  [:P][/quote]Au contraire, they continue to describe you, and your little chum, perfectly.[/quote]I get it....this is where we keep going all day because you can never let anyone else have the last word......and that is not an expectation (to get back on topic, if that''s possible) - it is a certainty.[/quote]Yes, please get back to your lovers tiff with Reggie, we are all enthralled.[/quote]I''ve got all day today, morty, anything else you''d like to say?  We''re all still riveted to your input so far.....