Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Expectations

Simple thread to assess what Norwich fan''s expectation levels are for the next season. What would you be happy with as an acceptable level of performance this season?

Champions?

Automatic Promotion?

Play-offs?

Mid-table?

Avoiding relegation?

Me personally, I think play-offs is realistic, will think we have done well to secure automatic promotion

To aim high is the only acceptable option for me GMD. I think we should go for one of the to 2 spots . There is no earthly reason why it should not be within our capabilities. That way, if we do fall short, at least we''ll have the play-offs as a fall back position.Anything less is selling ourselves short and reminiscent of the attitudes of the ''easily satisfied'' brigade.

I would be happy with Promotion. I feel anything less can''t be considered a success. If we get to the playoffs then we haven''t done bad but if we want to progress as a club, we should be looking to get promoted again with this year our best shot.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]....reminiscent of the attitudes of the ''easily satisfied'' brigade.[/quote]And what about the "never satisfied" brigade Reggie? Apart from thumping away at their keyboards they don''t really do much do they? A couple of them threw their ST''s at Bryan Gunn a few years back but, apart from a few boo''s here and there, you''re a pretty limp bunch. Why, even your poor old grandad used to throw his cushion on the pitch......

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I would be happy with Promotion. I feel anything less can''t be considered a success. If we get to the playoffs then we haven''t done bad but if we want to progress as a club, we should be looking to get promoted again with this year our best shot.[/quote]Pretty much this.Playoffs is bare minimum, and must result in promotion.

[quote user="lappinitup"][And what about the "never satisfied" brigade Reggie? Apart from thumping away at their keyboards they don''t really do much do they? [/quote]Well , time will tell on that score, Lapps. What, in the middle of the close season, do you actually propose we do, other than ''thump our keyboards''. ? We''ve bought our tickets and are waiting for the action to begin .Joking apart, in a bizarre way I tend to agree with you. There WAS too much of a mild, meek acceptance of the last 2 years. This Championship is not going to be a stroll in the park, and I''m glad to see that several of us already are answering this thread by demanding (yes I will use that word, though I know it upsets some lily-livered types on here) that the club aims high in it.

[quote user="Haggerdoo"]I guess a lot depends on what players we still have at our disposal come early August[/quote]

True - but my view is we should be recruiting the players to meet our expectations,  especially given 1) the decent core squad & 2) the FFP & budgetary advantage we have

I am hoping that we will make the play-offs but could tolerate a near miss of them,  lower than 8th would be very disappointing (but is possible)

question- why are people aiming so low? if you think about derby or the two other relegated teams, our team at the moment is miles ahead (perhaps not miles ahead of cardiff, just better)

[quote user="mrs miggins"]question- why are people aiming so low? if you think about derby or the two other relegated teams, our team at the moment is miles ahead (perhaps not miles ahead of cardiff, just better)[/quote]I think that any team that has been relegated is potentially fragile. We need to regain an upward momentum pretty much straight away, and hope that any disruptions over the summer don''t affect us too badly. We need team spirit, and you can''t buy that.

Uwe Rosler clearly thinks that we shall be one of the teams at the top or thereabouts. I think that it will take something really special to become champions - we didn''t manage it before. There are some good clubs who are likely to be in the top six, including Fulham and Cardiff, as well as some of the last year''s play-off teams.

I will be very disappointed if we do not finish in the top half. Much will depend, as others have said, on how many of our better players we manage to hold on to. It may also depend on the quality of any signings - Grabban seems to have potential, Raferty I''m not sure about. We have still to see what Adams will do about the midfield and defence, which both need improvement.

My hope is promotion, automatic or via the play-offs, but my expectation is top six.

Cant say till we know whos staying and whos going, also who we get in.So ask me at start of season when we have an idea of the team

I personally expect Auto Promotion. We currently have a Premiership quality team and all we''ve done since last season is shed the massive incompetent weight grinding them down (The management team) that forced them into a rigid, slow paced, one dimensional static 6-2-1-0-1 formation and added a proven 20+ goal a season striker at this level.

I think it will mirror our league 1 campaign, a slow start but once we adjust and find the right team balance we will rocket up the league. But I said I expect that from my assessment of the squad, I don''t demand it.

Top 6 without promotion would be okay, top 8 maybe if we look very good while achieving it and show signs of improvement over the season. Below top 8 would be a failure equivalent to last seasons.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lappinitup"][And what about the "never satisfied" brigade Reggie? Apart from thumping away at their keyboards they don''t really do much do they? [/quote]Well , time will tell on that score, Lapps. What, in the middle of the close season, do you actually propose we do, other than ''thump our keyboards''. ? We''ve bought our tickets and are waiting for the action to begin .Joking apart, in a bizarre way I tend to agree with you. There WAS too much of a mild, meek acceptance of the last 2 years. This Championship is not going to be a stroll in the park, and I''m glad to see that several of us already are answering this thread by demanding (yes I will use that word, though I know it upsets some lily-livered types on here) that the club aims high in it.[/quote]It''s all very well "demanding" success on here Reggie but what will you actually do if immediate success isn''t forthcoming? You admit the "never satisfied" brigade didn''t do anything in the last two years so what will YOU if were not in the hunt at say Christmas? Will you set up an "Adams Out" website or organise a protest? Hire, organise and chair a meeting at St Andrews Hall? Will you go on TV Reggie?"Demanding" is a fine word to use but backing it up is an altogether different thing. Now, tell us now what exactly what you will do Reggie.

Good point Morty, its (the mental side of the game) not something I had thought a great deal about. I was thinking about previous relegated teams such as wigan, qpr etc who haven''t made an immediate return to the prem for obvious reasons (wigan had a weak squad and a new manager, apr had old, overpriced players amongst other reasons).

So looking at our squad, the players we have are technically very good compared to the rest of the other teams in the league, so its about their state of mind going into the championship and finding out if they can maintain being at the top where they should (with our team atm) finish. Perhaps many fans having lower expectations may actually help the team, similar to the lambert championship season where most thought we''d finish mid table.

No expectations.   Hopes, yes, expectations, no.   And that is not lily livered, easily satisfied or any other derogatory label that some on here like to throw around.  It is taking the view that as long as the team/manager do as well as they can, then that is all we can ask.   If it is good enough we will be promoted, if it isn''t, we won''t be, but "expecting" anything has no effect or merit.    Hope, yes, but expectation is just the ego demanding satisfaction.

I think the main problem will be the first 5 or 10 games. A lot of fans - rightly or wrongly - aren''t happy about last season, and aren''t particularly inspired with Adams becoming manager (I''m not one of them). A couple of slim 1 nil defeats to the likes of Wolves, Ipswich or Bournemouth will see groans of despair and revolt. (Especially with some of us already "demanding" promotion like it''s a right)

However, with a new manager on board and a new-look attacking force, we have to be prepared for a few results not to go our way, especially at first. The championship is a long season and I certainly won''t be clamouring for managerial change unless we look clueless as to how to change things for the better.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Good point Morty, its (the mental side of the game).......[/quote]Another point is other teams will see us as their cup final. There will be 30,000 inside Poorman Rd (normally 16,000), the Leeds games will be huge because of the recent history between the two clubs, and teams like Bournemouth and Brentford will see us as a huge scalp. Anyone expecting an easy ride are likely to be brought down to earth with a bump.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Good point Morty, its (the mental side of the game) not something I had thought a great deal about. I was thinking about previous relegated teams such as wigan, qpr etc who haven''t made an immediate return to the prem for obvious reasons (wigan had a weak squad and a new manager, apr had old, overpriced players amongst other reasons).

So looking at our squad, the players we have are technically very good compared to the rest of the other teams in the league, so its about their state of mind going into the championship and finding out if they can maintain being at the top where they should (with our team atm) finish. Perhaps many fans having lower expectations may actually help the team, similar to the lambert championship season where most thought we''d finish mid table.[/quote]Another point is peoples view that we have a "Premiership quality squad" where, in actual fact we have a squad that wasn''t good enough for the Premiership.There will have to be a complete change of attitude, there will be no more going away and keeping it tight for a point, we will not get out of this division on our home form alone.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="mrs miggins"]Good point Morty, its (the mental side of the game).......[/quote]Another point is other teams will see us as their cup final. There will be 30,000 inside Poorman Rd (normally 16,000), the Leeds games will be huge because of the recent history between the two clubs, and teams like Bournemouth and Brentford will see us as a huge scalp. Anyone expecting an easy ride are likely to be brought down to earth with a bump.[/quote]

Agree with this.  Those that castigate the view that we  should expect to be top or near the top all season should think carefully about expecting it.  We will likely do well this season, but promotion, if we achieve it will be tough.   

[quote user="lappinitup"]"Demanding" is a fine word to use but backing it up is an altogether different thing. Now, tell us now what exactly what you will do Reggie.[/quote]What a ridiculous question Lapps . I''m not actually expecting to ''have to do'' anything. So how can I say what I''ll ''do'' until the scenario actually is reality, and we know what we''re up against ? . In fairness, Bloodwagon called it correctly in that we cannot really say anything until we know what we''ve got at our disposal. So the evidence of intent as to what our expectations should be will not fully be answered until the final squad is assembled by mid Aug.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lappinitup"]"Demanding" is a fine word to use but backing it up is an altogether different thing. Now, tell us now what exactly what you will do Reggie.[/quote]What a ridiculous question Lapps . I''m not actually expecting to ''have to do'' anything. So how can I say what I''ll ''do'' until the scenario actually is reality, and we know what we''re up against ? . In fairness, Bloodwagon called it correctly in that we cannot really say anything until we know what we''ve got at our disposal. So the evidence of intent as to what our expectations should be will not fully be answered until the final squad is assembled by mid Aug.[/quote]Oh right Reggie. So whilst "demanding (yes I will use that word, though I know it upsets some lily-livered types on here) that the club aims high in it", in reality you''re "not actually expecting to ''have to do'' anything".Sounds pretty "lily-livered" to me, the very thing you accuse others of. [:D]

@ReggieIf you "demand" something" or "expect" something, it means you will react if you don''t get what you want.  So say we don''t get what is demanded or expected?  What reaction will there be?   I''ll tell you.  Anger and frustration.  But what if we do get what you demand?   Self-satisfaction.   Those that have no expectations will react to whatever happens with either joy or disappointment - but no anger or resentment.   You can''t experience joy at a result if you expected that result to happen - all you get is your ego satisfied. 

[quote user="lappinitup"]Oh right Reggie. So whilst "demanding (yes I will use that word, though I know it upsets some lily-livered types on here) that the club aims high in it", in reality you''re "not actually expecting to ''have to do'' anything".Sounds pretty "lily-livered" to me, the very thing you accuse others of. [:D]

[/quote]No, Lapps, for whatever reason you misunderstand.  It seems that you and Lake, not for the first time, are setting your sights low, and are not expecting great things.I (and evidently a few others) are not so pessimistic. I fully expect this season to be a success. That''s what I mean when I say ''I''m not expecting to have to do anything'', in the manner you are suggesting. The players and management will see to that. Perhaps as the season approaches, you might just move into a more positive frame of mind. Here''s hoping , eh ?

"Reggie - It seems that you and Lake, not for the first time, are setting your sights low, and are not expecting great things."

HAVING NO EXPECTATIONS DOES NOT MEAN HAVING LOW EXPECTATIONS.  

[quote user="lake district canary"]"Reggie - It seems that you and Lake, not for the first time, are setting your sights low, and are not expecting great things."

HAVING NO EXPECTATIONS DOES NOT MEAN HAVING LOW EXPECTATIONS.  

[/quote]Oh dear Lake.You are wriggling on the line again.Is the best you can do on this really be splitting hairs between ''low'' and ''no''.?Can you not actually say something positive for once in your life ?Dearie dearie me.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I (and evidently a few others) are not so pessimistic. I fully expect this season to be a success. That''s what I mean when I say ''I''m not expecting to have to do anything'', in the manner you are suggesting. The players and management will see to that. Perhaps as the season approaches, you might just move into a more positive frame of mind. Here''s hoping , eh ?[/quote]I think I''ve got it Reggie. You''ve gone from "demanding" to "expecting" all on the same page. [:D]You still haven''t answered my question though, what will you do if your "demands" and "expectations" are not met as opposed to what us "lily-livered types" might do? [:^)]