Sign in to follow this  
Jacks Back

'Fer expresses commitment to City'

New article just come out (I assume after speaking to Dutch media after the game)

He says: ''Whatever happens here in Brazil, I am a Norwich player. I am contracted to them for the next three years so my commitment is to them.''

Encouraging thing for a guy who just scored in the World Cup to say. Although I''m sure if we got offered the right price things could all change. We''ll just have to wait and see...

Nah we''re gonna need him next season in the heart of our midfield, for the money we would get for him, it would not be worth it imo.

Yeah, he said something like this before the World Cup started as well. Honestly I''m not convinced he''ll still be here come the 10th of August. Nice to see he isn''t throwing his toys out of the pram and demanding a move though.

I agree. The classic ''I am contracted to the club so I''m their player'' line is never that convincing. Sounds like he''s trying to keep us happy in case he can''t get a move but still looking elsewhere

Would be fantastic if he stays, as I am convinced he would be huge for us at this level.......but I am convinced he will move on, along with RVW and also Hooper when I see the signings we have made to date.  

Here''s the quote with the subliminal messages added in red;

He says: ''Whatever happens here in Brazil (I might be injured so you''ll have to judge me on that goal), I am a Norwich player (to open negotiations you''ll need to speak to them). I am contracted to them for the next three years (It''ll probably cost a bit as I''m on quite a long contract) so my commitment is to them.''

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

He says: ''Whatever happens here in Brazil (I might be injured so you''ll have to judge me on that goal), I am a Norwich player (to open negotiations you''ll need to speak to them). I am contracted to them for the next three years (It''ll probably cost a bit as I''m on quite a long contract) so my commitment is to them.''

[/quote]Indeed. It could all just be a "come and get me" plea to the new Man Utd manager.....

[quote user="morty"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

Indeed. It could all just be a "come and get me" plea to the new Man Utd manager.....
[/quote]

I''m not sure if you should be agreeing with me as I''m supposed to be you and you are supposed to be me.

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="morty"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

Indeed. It could all just be a "come and get me" plea to the new Man Utd manager.....[/quote]

I''m not sure if you should be agreeing with me as I''m supposed to be you and you are supposed to be me.

[/quote]I can''t think of a better reason for agreeing, to be honest.

To be fair if you cast your minds back a year ago he was very open that he was moving away from Twente and said he would confirm his new club after he had got back off his holiday - in that instance we obviously were already in the mix to sign him

This is the same quote from before the world cup, just elongated. I would be more than happy for him to stay but I am a realist and I expect that as a minimum he will go out on loan to a top division club (here or the Bundesliga) but most likely a full transfer, the nice thing is he has 3 years to run, is on more money (even in the Championship) than he would get in a lot of the top leagues in Europe (possibly even the Bundesliga - yes the wages are that low outside the top 4/5 teams there). So unless a Prem team comes, he may well stay

Everything I''ve seen about Leroy Fer says to me he''s a terrific footballer and a really top chap. The fact is that he''s way better than the Championship and I''m sure there are plenty of clubs out there who''d take him at a shot. The fact that he''s so positive about being part of getting back up speaks volumes of his character.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]Everything I''ve seen about Leroy Fer says to me he''s a terrific footballer and a really top chap. The fact is that he''s way better than the Championship and I''m sure there are plenty of clubs out there who''d take him at a shot. The fact that he''s so positive about being part of getting back up speaks volumes of his character. [/quote]Whilst I don''t disagree, talk is cheap in football, how often have we seen a player kissing his badge one week, and holding up another clubs shirt the next?Interesting that Snodgrass hasn''t trotted out a similar statement....

Yes, talk is cheap, but when talk of staying is combined with being a class player that the manager will obviously want available to him, a commitment by the club to keep all players that the manager wants and three years on the contract, then there''s not really much doubt. If he was doing a Yaya and complaining about the size of his birthday cake I might think otherwise.

Actually if recent reports are to be believed, the birthday cake was an excuse to cover up the real reason that they denied him time off to be with his dying brother.

[quote user="splutcho"]Actually if recent reports are to be believed, the birthday cake was an excuse to cover up the real reason that they denied him time off to be with his dying brother.[/quote]Ooft[:(]

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]Yes, talk is cheap, but when talk of staying is combined with being a class player that the manager will obviously want available to him, a commitment by the club to keep all players that the manager wants and three years on the contract, then there''s not really much doubt. If he was doing a Yaya and complaining about the size of his birthday cake I might think otherwise.[/quote]The main difference, I guess, is the contract. I doubt we''re in a position to offer Snoddy an extended, improved contract, so it would be daft not to cash in on him.Then again, if he''s loyal, and likes playing here, he may just decide to give us a season, but we risk him walking away for free at the end of it, promoted or not.

I wonder if we''re prepared to just gamble and not bother sell anyone we don''t want to. £6m reportedly turned down for Snoddy with 1 year left on a deal. The maths is simple, stay down and we''re back to the slippery debt slope where the only way off is getting back to the premiership at some point, go back up and we can forget we were ever even relegated.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I wonder if we''re prepared to just gamble and not bother sell anyone we don''t want to. £6m reportedly turned down for Snoddy with 1 year left on a deal. The maths is simple, stay down and we''re back to the slippery debt slope where the only way off is getting back to the premiership at some point, go back up and we can forget we were ever even relegated.[/quote]Unfortunately it doesn''t work like that though, if a player really, really wants to go then its only ever going to end one way, obviously if the price is right.I rate Snoddy, and I would love him to stay, but 7 or 8 million quid can buy you a lot of Championship player. And you could argue that if we are going to change our playing style (which I am pretty sure we will) then perhaps a pacier, more orthodox, winger would suit us better.

The price may not be right though. People might not be prepared to pay £7m or £8m for Snoddy and might just leave it until at least January when he''ll be a lot less depending on how well we''re doing.

At least it seems our players aren''t all running to the boss handing in transfer requests yet.

I think we have a position of strength over Fer in that he has 3 years of his contract left. If he can get someone to buy him off us for like £15m then we might play ball but I can''t see us selling ourselves short on him.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]The price may not be right though. People might not be prepared to pay £7m or £8m for Snoddy and might just leave it until at least January when he''ll be a lot less depending on how well we''re doing.

At least it seems our players aren''t all running to the boss handing in transfer requests yet.

I think we have a position of strength over Fer in that he has 3 years of his contract left. If he can get someone to buy him off us for like £15m then we might play ball but I can''t see us selling ourselves short on him.[/quote]And thats the most important bit, we are in the enviable position where we can decide what the price is.

I feel that he would need to pick his words wisely if a loan deal for next season is being planned has already been arranged, and he remains a contracted Norwich City player, which I think could well happen. 

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]I feel that he would need to pick his words wisely if a loan deal for next season is being planned has already been arranged, and he remains a contracted Norwich City player, which I think could well happen. [/quote]I have to admit I haven''t considered the possibility of him being loaned out, I am assuming Ricky will be though.

What on earth would be the point in loaning him out?! Unless we get ridiculous loan fee money again, there is no point.

dearie mewhat a load of old toshany player can be sold "at the right price"Fer does not need to send out coded mesages, his agent will contacting other clubs and will be recieving enquiries from other agents pretty much all the time - that''s what they doI would be surprised if he is still here come Sept 1st, as with a number of other players - but that is the nature of the game ... some will feel their career is best suited elsewhere, as will the club feel about some players still hereOver analysing every ruddy word suggests a rather sad existence

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]What on earth would be the point in loaning him out?! Unless we get ridiculous loan fee money again, there is no point.[/quote]In a perfect world he stays, he performs and is happy whilst helping fire us back to the Premier League. In the real world a player that will attract interest from more reputable clubs will probably want out. Loaning him out would be a good compromise as there is a chance we''ll be back up by the end of next season. If we don''t go up there is still time on his contract, and after what would hopefully be a good season his value will have continued to grow.  Kind of like what QPR did with Remy this season.

I would also be amazed if he is here next season but it has to be said that his comments are vaguely encouraging. I for one expected the Dutch duo to be off like a shot after we got relegated and so far it is pleasing that neither are showing any signs of rocking the boat. I think RVW will definitely be off though as i think Adams may well decide to cut his losses there.

One thing that may come into the equation with Fer is that he spoke at one point last season of having found the move to England tough and how he had been helped through it at times by people so maybe, just maybe, he does not fancy moving clubs again quite so soon. We forget he is only a young man and has time on his side. If he''s been well looked after at Norwich, then he may feel some genuine desire to stick around and help us get back up. I appreciate its a bit of a straw i''m clutching at here but you never know!

[quote user="City1st"]dearie mewhat a load of old toshany player can be sold "at the right price"Fer does not need to send out coded mesages, his agent will contacting other clubs and will be recieving enquiries from other agents pretty much all the time - that''s what they doI would be surprised if he is still here come Sept 1st, as with a number of other players - but that is the nature of the game ... some will feel their career is best suited elsewhere, as will the club feel about some players still hereOver analysing every ruddy word suggests a rather sad existence

[/quote]Must agree with that, C1st . Some people clearly have only the sketchiest knowledge of how trading/business actually works.Without oversimplifying it, everybody has a price, and, if Fer, Snods, RvW , Uncle Tom Cobbley etc want to move,  another club has the readies, and Norwich are agreeable, business WILL be done. There will be no need to frig about with fancy loan deals, ownership rights , reading coded messages and the like. They will be off.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Without oversimplifying it, everybody has a price, and, if Fer, Snods, RvW , Uncle Tom Cobbley etc want to move,  another club has the readies, and Norwich are agreeable, business WILL be done. There will be no need to frig about with fancy loan deals, ownership rights , reading coded messages and the like. They will be off.[/quote]But why aren''t you ''demanding'' they stay Reggie? Accepting it without a whimper puts you in with those ''lily-livered types'' you were telling us about yesterday. [^o)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Without oversimplifying it, everybody has a price, and, if Fer, Snods, RvW , Uncle Tom Cobbley etc want to move,  another club has the readies, and Norwich are agreeable, business WILL be done. There will be no need to frig about with fancy loan deals, ownership rights , reading coded messages and the like. They will be off.[/quote]But why aren''t you ''demanding'' they stay Reggie? Accepting it without a whimper puts you in with those ''lily-livered types'' you were telling us about yesterday. [^o)][/quote]You obviously don''t read the threads fully or properly Lapps. Do try and keep up, there''s a good lad.If you had, you''d have noticed in another thread that I have indeed called upon Leroy to get fit after this hamstring injury,and  return to Colney, as I believe he could do a job for us. "Awesome" was the word I used, if my memory serves me.But then again, you never let the facts get in the way of a good old insulting rant, do you, mate ?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lappinitup"]But why aren''t you ''demanding'' they stay Reggie? Accepting it without a whimper puts you in with those ''lily-livered types'' you were telling us about yesterday. [^o)][/quote]If you had, you''d have noticed in another thread that I have indeed called upon Leroy to get fit after this hamstring injury,and  return to Colney, as I believe he could do a job for us. "Awesome" was the word I used, if my memory serves me.But then again, you never let the facts get in the way of a good old insulting rant, do you, mate ?[/quote]The words I used were yours from yesterday Reggie and now you find them insulting. [:D][<:o)]