Sign in to follow this  
barclay_boy111

Alex Ibarra

Watching Ecuador v France and Ecuador have just made a sub with Alex Ibarra coming on. Played for vitesse Arnhem last season but is now avalible on a free, right winger got quite a bit of pace aparently Swansea are in for him I sincerely hope we are at least interested as I''m a bit worried about the fact that all we apear to be bringing in strikers.

Why the hell would we want yet another winger??? And for that matter why would we waste time being in for someone who has premier league interest?

Why? Because when snoddy goes we are a winger down. It''s hardly wasting time trying to bring in a talented player, how any player have we "wasted" time on and either didn''t bring in or we actually managed to capture their signature it''s all relative.

When/if Snoddy goes, we shall indeed be a winger lighter, but at the moment he is keeping two good right wingers, Benno and Redders, out of their natural position. If Ibarra could play on the left there might be more argument, because we have only Josh there. (Surman seems to have been successfully converted into a central midfielder.) We also have Jacob Murphy.

It is probably all academic, however, as we are now a Championship side, and Swansea will have more pull!

We should be focussing on keeping the better players we have because we are not going to attract players who are performing credibly in the World Cup and who have premier league clubs (even premier league clubs who are smaller than us) interested in them.

The fact we are bringing in the likes of Grabban and Lafferty shows what we can attract in terms of new players which is why its so important that we keep a few out of Snoddy, Hooper, Pilks, Wes and Redmond, Olsson, Fer and Ruddy at the club because even if we get good money for them we will not be able to bring in players of the same quality with that money.

Will the real Jim(my) Smith please stand up, please stand up, wicki wicki wick-wick waaaah.Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Current wide players:Senior: Snodgrass, Pilkington, Redmond, E.Bennett and Surman (who may well be a more central player now). Wes can also do a job there as can Olsson and Garrido if needs be.Then you have the likes of the Josh and Jacob and I believe Loza has also played wide before now.So there you have it. When you look at all of that and take into account that Surman and Wes may no longer be classed as wingers. We have one left footed winger who apparently prefers to play on the right in which case we have no naturally left footed left wingers.I wouldn''t even be worried about the right wing unless it was too good an opportunity to pass up - even if we should lose Snoddy.

I agree we have great wide cover even with the loss of snodgrass.   depending on who else is lost I would focus now on a centre back and imporving our central midfield - and a good emerging right back.

coming together nicely

I would have thought with Howson, Tettey, Johnson, and Surman the central midfield department looks ok and that''s without taking into account the fact we still have both Wes and Fer as things stand plus Elliott Bennett can play there as well.

our cm was our main problem last season, so not strengthening it would be a major error for me.  

Surman will add some guile,  but the remaining 5 failed to create anywhere near enough last season, all failed to drive beyond the strikers,  are defensively poor (failing to track runners or win the ball back)  and struggled to keep possession - they are basic requirements of a cm,  and just like england we lacked what is needed.   3 assists all season from them tells its own painful story.    

That may be solved by a drop down in the league and the reputed but yet to be seen more expansive adams approach,   but there was nothing in the play all last season to suggest that was the case.

I think everything rests upon who else forces through a move or we get an offer for that we are silly to turn down.Central defence is an interesting one as I have yet to see or hear anything to confirm that there was an option of a further year and that it was taken up by Turner.If we have then that leaves him, R.Bennett and Bassong. Questions still over Bassong. We could end up needing two or three CB''s or we could end up needing one.RB is another one in that Martin could be shuffled across to the centre to take up a slot there, leaving an oppertunity for a new and improved RB. Whittaker is 29/30, so as ZLF says, a young promising full back would be nice.A creative midfielder or an attacking midfielder with good distribution might be a must as well.Potentially Grabban could be that strangely.If we play a 4-2-3-1 with two holding midfielders and someone like Howson/Surman/Grabban/Wes playing in the middle of the three more advanced midfielders.

Ry Bennett I think will grow into a key role next season. At times his limitations showed through against the higher level strikers, but a full year of bumps and bruises in the Championship could finally push him on IMO