Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Video games as a spectator sport

I had a small brainwave last night, would probably divide opinion:

I was watching the footy last night with my mate who was sat there playing that daft but apparently addictive game "Clash of Clans". We got talking about twitch and broadcasting games after he''d told me his ''base'' was worth a load of money in real life and that people spend thousands on it. I''d said that i''d sold my FIFA Ultimate team for over £100 after I got annoyed with being disconnected all the time online. We both agreed it was crazy!

This then moved to me telling him about an arena i''d heard about in the far east purpose built with a 25k capacity for watching people play video games. It seems it is something that will probably take off.

It then dawned on me how cool it''d be if we were sat in a stadium playing FIFA and I stuck one away and 25k fans started cheering. Here''s where my idea came in.

You get a 15 minute break at half time, just enough time for a game of FIFA 14 at 6 minutes a half right? How about for each game in the season, we have someone from our fans and someone from the away end go onto the pitch and have it out on FIFA (or other footy game, whatever floats your boat)?

Imagine next derby game we have a guy go on the pitch and on the big screen (we''d have to get installed) his virtual Norwich slam one in against virtual Ipswich? The crowd would have no excuse to not at least cheer a goal going in making for some great half time entertainment!

What do people think to that idea?

Some clubs do have Playstations in the ground I think to play at half time etc.

Not sure how many of the ''older'' fans would enjoy but, as a guy who''s played every fifa since 2000 I would love it! Playing FIFA in front of a crowd would be awesome

Valuable opinion there Lappinitup. Care to actually give an opinion of what you think of the idea and why you think that?

I.E "It''s a load of rubbish as it''d be promoting video games to lazy kids etc."

Here in Bournemouth, the Litten Tree sports pub allows you to play Fifa on xbox on their massive projector screen if they aren''t using it and you buy a few drinks.

Was especially fun back in the last Euro Championships where we would often play out the forthcoming games in front of a decent amassing crowd.

This is already happening around the world for various games, FIFA do one themselves. PES has one too.

In fact there''s even a kick off world cup tournament (Game on the amiga from the 90''s) that happens.

As it''s a ''virtual'' game as such, i think with the advent of VR headsets - if these get mainstream, imagine the thought of being able to walk into a virtual stadium and take a seat and being able to watch two (or more!) players battling it out on the pitch - with no fixed camera as you are virtually sat in the stadium.

I can see PVP events and all sorts happening in this regard. Tech has a long way to go, but boy at this rate it''ll be here within 4-5 years.

Also - just to add to this you could set something yourself up quite easily, at the Cinema''s in norwich you can rent out the screen and fill it with mates, they have an xbox and playstation ready to go with a load of games and controllers so you don''t even have to take your stuff along.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Valuable opinion there Lappinitup. Care to actually give an opinion of what you think of the idea and why you think that?

I.E "It''s a load of rubbish as it''d be promoting video games to lazy kids etc."[/quote]Happy to oblige Jimmy. Parents buy their kids video games to keep them in their rooms, quiet, entertained and out of mischief. They go to football once a fortnight and the last thing they need (while they''re scoffing their pie and chatting about the first half) is a load of kids screeching at a giant screen at half-time when the whole idea of these games is to keep the kids quiet in the first place.Nope, if the club have money to spare they''d be better advised to spend it on Wi-Fi where everybody could benefit (half-time scores etc). 

Ironically I think you are the one showing your age with that comment lappin...

I have been in the crowd for one of the Star Craft tournaments they have in Korea - very weird to be in a crowd of 120,000(!) people basically watching someone else play. I found it throughly boring but then I dodn''t know anything about Star Craft so couldn''t tell what the hell was going on.

The gamers are huge celebs in Korea and make millions from commerical ties and TV apperances. Personally I find nothing more boring than watch someone else play video games, but it is certainly growing in popularity globally and it won''t be too much longer before it becomes a televised sport (you can certainly already watch it live online).

Isn''t the rather obviously issue for using it as half time entertainment that there is no big screen at Norwich so everyone will need to crowd round the TV a little....

The fearmongerers will see a scenario like Wall-E play out where we''re all fat sods that live a 99% virtual life.

I can just imagine in the future chatting with some fat guy down the pub and going on to what they do for a living and them saying "Oh, i''m a pacy winger for Real Madrid virtual XI on £100k a week!" whilst 5 deep and with a pie in his hand!

I think without the extremes taken, it''s a legitimate idea. On one half I don''t want the circus that is american half time entertainment as our football is usually entertaining enough to not need that but if we put a couple of big screens in and had someone stir the rivalry up, it''d be great banter versus Ipswich as a side show.

I bet EA would happily sponsor it the money whores!

We should do something traditional at half-time....like Morris Men or Line Dancing. [:D]If you want something really exciting how about getting Ricky Knight to put up a wrestling ring and have a tag match between two City fans and two of the opposition? [<:o)]

It is not fearmongering more pulling the peeThankfully I can still play 5 a side football, but really miss being able to play a decent 90 minute game.It is not about being fat it is about wasting the best years of your life (physically) hiding from real life - unaware that you are being far more manipulated than your keyboard is.As to halftime I doubt it will be of much interest beyond the casual noting of who is winning/won. That would apply to ludo or Snap.Get out and life lad