Sign in to follow this  
Blurboy1980

Ya know whats amazing happening here in America

They are actually talking about "Soccer" its amazing and I love it....but it usually happens once every 4 years but it honestly seems like genuine intrigue.

Yes, and trunks are boots and candies are sweets and cookies are biscuits and elevators are lifts and yes we know the English language evolves differently around the world. Ciao!

Definition of "Ball" - round or spherical objectProperball  -     -  as used in most proper ball sports, football, tennis, cricket  (oh - forget cricket) - hockey etcNotaball -     - as used in minority sports where they still rely on knocking/wrestling the opposition to the ground to try and win matches.

Cricketball - - as used by people who like to stand/sit around doing nothing most of the time, except looking forward to drinks, lunch and tea - and close of play, followed by childish antics and schoolboy "japes". 

[:P]

[quote user="Buh"]RELEASE THE KRAKEN Americans will never get football[/quote]

Which must make it all the more frustrating to the English that the USA team seems to have more willingness and attitude to progress a little longer than England in the World Cup.

My recent USA football experience was summed up a few nights ago when I inadvertently walked into a bar while USA were playing Portugal ... the usual chanting took place after Clint Dempsey put them 2-1 up ,,, however.. when Portugal equalised ,,, it went deadly silent .

Not having the possibility of a draw in most sport over there,,, there was total bewilderment ,,,silence,...they didn''t know what had happened ...one minute it was USA,,USA ...the next everyone just wandered off ,,, must have thought that when Portugal scored , and they were no longer winning ,,obviously they must have lost ..hilarious .

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Which must make it all the more frustrating to the English that the USA team seems to have more willingness and attitude to progress a little longer than England in the World Cup.

[/quote]

There is no frustration because of the short comings of the manager and the English squad, the outcome was inevitable before a ball was kicked .

The frustration is the fact that the USA players do seem to have been motivated ,,,by a German I might add,,its the inability of the nation to grasp the game .

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]My recent USA football experience was summed up a few nights ago when I inadvertently walked into a bar while USA were playing Portugal ... the usual chanting took place after Clint Dempsey put them 2-1 up ,,, however.. when Portugal equalised ,,, it went deadly silent .

Not having the possibility of a draw in most sport over there,,, there was total bewilderment ,,,silence,...they didn''t know what had happened ...one minute it was USA,,USA ...the next everyone just wandered off ,,, must have thought that when Portugal scored , and they were no longer winning ,,obviously they must have lost ..hilarious .[/quote]Errr... when Portugal scored the final whistle went, the game was over 20 seconds after that goal. If they didn''t understand the concept of a draw they would have been waiting around for Overtime.

Exactly, YS.

BS48 doesn''t grasp the concept of stunned silence, nor does he know much about American sports or culture and is feeling his superiority complex overheat to compensate for his ignorance.

Lame District failed too. Must''ve forgotten Aussie, Canadian and rugby football use oval shaped balls.

If I had received a case of champagne for every time over the last  four or five decades I''d read that football was finally finally taking off in the United States I would have needed a much larger cellar...

You would be surprised at the level of interest, may well all fade after WC but the interest is in the game and not just USA purple

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]Exactly, YS.

BS48 doesn''t grasp the concept of stunned silence, nor does he know much about American sports or culture and is feeling his superiority complex overheat to compensate for his ignorance.

Lame District failed too. Must''ve forgotten Aussie, Canadian and rugby football use oval shaped balls.[/quote]

No.  I didn''t forget.   Same applies to all "ball" sports that don''t use a "ball".   A "ball" is round - in rugby/american football/aussie rules "ball" is a contradiction in terms.  Ovoid? Egg? Diamond? Pig''s bladder?  All are better descriptions of the shape of object than "ball" -  for all  those minority sports.    When is a ball not a ball?  When the sport has an object that is not round as the main focus.......

I jest of course, just never seen much in any sport that uses the diamond shaped thingy.................much prefer a ball to roll, bounce, and be kicked or hit with all the variations that are possible with a ball shape, which do not apply in the same way to a rugby ovoid.

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]Exactly, YS.

Lame District failed too. Must''ve forgotten Aussie, Canadian and rugby football use oval shaped balls.[/quote]

Oh No !!! I fully understand the concept of stunned silence ...after all I have been a City fan for a long time !

What I was witnessing was confusion ,,,,the local papers and MSN ( the US version) All ran Very simplified instruction on how to support a soccer game ,,, including not calling it soccer !!

I don''t think it is me who is failing to grasp .

Soccer is a perfectly reasonable name for Association Football, people don''t compain that the popular programme on Saturdays is called Soccer Saturday and the programme in the morning is called Soccer AM. 

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote] There is no frustration because of the short comings of the manager and the English squad, the outcome was inevitable before a ball was kicked . The frustration is the fact that the USA players do seem to have been motivated ,,,by a German I might add,,its the inability of the nation to grasp the game .[/quote]

I see. Was it more frustrating that, in the past, the English squad were not more motivated by an Italian? [;)]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote] There is no frustration because of the short comings of the manager and the English squad, the outcome was inevitable before a ball was kicked . The frustration is the fact that the USA players do seem to have been motivated ,,,by a German I might add,,its the inability of the nation to grasp the game .[/quote]

I see. Was it more frustrating that, in the past, the English squad were not more motivated by an Italian? [;)]

[/quote]

Indeed !! or a Swede !!

A nation like the USA when considering how long Football has been progressing, albeit generally slowly, should stand a very good chance of competing at a high level now and I am not at all surprised. With a larger take up of the sport the USA will I am sure very soon be one of THE major nations in world football, they have the people, the sport ethic and will to win, the money and also as is often demonstrated in other sports they are patriotic and play for the shirt...............I am pleased it is taking off, Football needs new nations.....  and the best of luck to them.....but it still isnt SOCCER.... regardless of a couple of TV shows using the word.....

FIFA = Fédération Internationale de Football Association

UEFA = Union of European Football Associations

It''s not a mater of when it becomes big in America - it already is big in America. The third most attended sport in the country, 200,000 World Cup tickets sold in America (more than any other country) and a League that is growing rapidly in support and quality. More and more scholarships for football are being made available in the America colleges, which will be the real key to producing the best players in the future.

There is a good chance the 2026 or 2030 World Cup will be in America - I wouldn''t be surprised if they are one of the favourites going into that tournament. The one saving grace may be that America doesn''t particulary excel at team sports at an international level, although they don''t really compete in that many international tournaments.

And to be honest, who really cares if they call it soccer? Their country, they can call their sports and teams whatever they like.

I won''t ever be called football here, the dominant professional sport is already called that, so soccer it is... The American TEAM does do well, and it''s obvious that they are motivated to play hard for their country. Sadly England have underperformed in that regard for years - one of the reasons I think that we all so meekly accept another underwhelming campaign.

Lots of Dutch and Mexican and Argentinian flags out where I live, and off to a local German club in Anaheim a bit later today...I never bothered to put my England flag up TBH.

BTW - what''s with FIFA regulations messing around with all the traditional team colors ?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that football/soccer is the most popular game at junior schools, I think that meant more play it at that level than any other game.

Why aren''t they producing more outstanding players, then? Possibly because of the emphasis and money on American football, - a little like those schools here where the round ball game is ruled out because of the choice of PE teachers. Where I taught, round ball players were told to organise their own five-a-side, with the reply to any protests, "If you want to play football, join a local club!"

I suspect that with the omen''s game taking off here, and eventually in the US, we may see a greater emphasis here in the UK and the US.

It is an extremely sad person that froths at the mouth when Americans call Football "Soccer". Why on earth would you care so much?

Didn''t the English come up with the word soccer?

Anyway, more likelihood of the USA winning the World Cup before England, the way we''re going.

One thing that made me cringe so much watching the 2nd half of the US Germany game today the guy behind me kept on saying come onnnnn get a headerball goal. I was like "Headerball" and he would just go yeah I love seeing those. Some of them even say "Soccerball" for football....but today at work when they were playing it was deathly silent. Then after it got busy. People were watching in numbers here.

Basically if the American uni does not have a throwball team then "soccer" is generally the biggest game on the campus other than perhaps basketball.Problem is that soccer does not have the money thrown at it like throwball, but considering where it was 10 years they have traveled light years

Someone asked if "Soccer" is the number one sport here for junior high kids why doesn''t it produce more talent...the reason is this..."Soccer" here to most parents is a free babysitting session. The Parents don''t play so they don''t go after school and play with the kids. They drop them off and go. It might change with future generations but not at this moment sadly.