Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Player's Character as important as ability?

Looks like that key requirement has been booted out the window after the signing of Lafferty!!Not a popular individual at Ibrox and described as ''an uncontrollable womaniser'' by his present chairman.

So are John Terry and Ryan Giggs. This is football we''re talking about not Hollyoaks! As long as it''s not negatively effecting his football ability who cares! He''s 26 and has plenty of time to settle down with a family.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]So are John Terry and Ryan Giggs. This is football we''re talking about not Hollyoaks! As long as it''s not negatively effecting his football ability who cares! He''s 26 and has plenty of time to settle down with a family.[/quote]

Family, he has families, plural, which one to choose!

Oh good, we writing him off as a wrongun, before he has even kicked a ball?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]So are John Terry and Ryan Giggs. This is football we''re talking about not Hollyoaks! As long as it''s not negatively effecting his football ability who cares! He''s 26 and has plenty of time to settle down with a family.[/quote]

Family, he has families, plural, which one to choose![/quote]

I bet that is absolute tosh!

BUT their owner ended his rant by saying ''he gave us everything and more on the pitch'' which is all I''m bothered about.

What he''s like as a bloke isn''t as important as what he''s like as a football player...which is his job

When I think of all the shenanigans that have gone on behind the scenes and after the football at Carrow Road since I can remember, I don''t see how this is relevant.

I know some people are upset because they wanted a real name to be signed but I guess the Holt (never played at top level) and Martin (arrogant trouble maker) partnership showed just what attitude can do for a player.

[quote user="Jacks Back"]What he''s like as a bloke isn''t as important as what he''s like as a football player...which is his job[/quote]You sound like a Liverpool fan trying to defend Suarez.......

If we are talking ''character'' I''d rather be examining his attitude on the pitch and in the dressing room....ie whether he''s up for the fight , disciplined in training etc.Frankly, if he does the biz, what he''s paid to do,  his attitude is right, and it doesn''t affect his performance, what any footballer does in his spare time is a matter for him.

"Frankly, if he does the biz, what he''s paid to do, his attitude is right, and it doesn''t affect his performance, what any footballer does in his spare time is a matter for him."

Er, Marlon Harewood ?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]If we are talking ''character'' I''d rather be examining his attitude on the pitch and in the dressing room....ie whether he''s up for the fight , disciplined in training etc.Frankly, if he does the biz, what he''s paid to do,  his attitude is right, and it doesn''t affect his performance, what any footballer does in his spare time is a matter for him.[/quote]I would mostly agree with this Reg, with the exception that nothing a player does in his spare time should reflect badly upon the club or the supporters. I don''t expect young men to be angels but there are some in the game that I won''t mention, who I would not like to see wearing the yellow and green.

How do we know we don''t already have similar players at the club? This aspect of a players personal life is completely irrelevant.Besides I''d guess single footballs aren''t going to go wanting when it comes to ladies. I know if i was in their position I''d take full advantage of my eligibility. Besides ''womanizing'' doesn''t make someone a bad person, as long as it''s all consensual then good luck to the guy.

I haven''t seen any reports of him rubbing his team mates up the wrong way which is the only thing I''d be concerned about. If he pi55es the opposition off then great, we had a player like that in Holt and we loved it!

Also with the training thing, Holt was the same, poor in training then played his heart out on the pitch.

People need to get off this guys back, it''s not like he''s anywhere near the same league as real scumbags like Marlon King or *something* Hughes (The drink driver)

I agree with getting off his back. If you want to discuss unprofessional behaviour, you could start with Palermo''s owner. I''m very pleased that we have signed Lafferty, who will, IMO, do the ''job'' on the pitch.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Jacks Back"]What he''s like as a bloke isn''t as important as what he''s like as a football player...which is his job[/quote]You sound like a Liverpool fan trying to defend Suarez.......[/quote]i''d defend him if i was a liverpool fan 30 goals a season you tend to cut players a bit of slack [:D]

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]

"Frankly, if he does the biz, what he''s paid to do, his attitude is right, and it doesn''t affect his performance, what any footballer does in his spare time is a matter for him."

Er, Marlon Harewood ?

[/quote]Not really relevant Frank.Harewood broke the law of the land, so it''s a totally different ballpark.

George Best anyone? Also Irish, but his "womanizing" never affected his football ability. His drinking on the other hand........