Sign in to follow this  

With Snodgrass going it changes the dynamic of our whole team next season.  No more one man non-shows and looking forward to a more balanced side with plenty of attack from all areas.  A balanced team......                  RuddyWhittaker Martin R Bennett OlssonE. Bennett   Fer  Surman  Redmond              Grabban  Lafferty

Howson and Johnson to fit in there, obviously and whoever is left from Becchio, RVW, Hooper.  Murphys, Gaifaiti, Loza,Morris maybe all to get a go. 

Looks strong to me in midfield and attack.   Wes may yet stay and contribute too, who knows......  Still could do with right back cover if Martin is to be central defender...........

but......looking good so far.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Surman starts?

Ahead of Johnson?

Ahead of Howson?

Ahead of Tettey?

Oh boy...[/quote]You couldn''t make it up......but he has! [:S]

As the others said, Surman over Howson, Tettey etc is a bit odd. I can see us using various set-ups with this being one of them...

Ruddy

New player   Martin/Turner   R.Bennett   Olsson

E.Bennett         Fer         Tettey         Murphy

Redmond

Hooper/Grabban/RvW

I can see Redmond in that second striker role again like Adams tried last season as it will give him more freedom the way he gets with the England under-21s. I can also see Howson playing behind the striker with Redmond out wide in another set-up. We could also play 3-5-2 with wing-backs like this

Ruddy

Martin      Turner      R.Bennett

E.Bennett            Fer       Tettey              Olsson

Howson

Redmond

Hooper/Grabban/RvW

Then you''ve got 4-4-2

Ruddy

New player   Turner/Martin   R.Bennett   Olsson

E.Bennett        Fer           Howson          Murphy   

Lafferty      Hooper

Then you''ve got players like BJ, Surman, Whittaker, Loza, whichever Murphy we don''t play, Pilks if he stays, Wes if he stays..

I imagine Morris and Gafaiti would go out on loan again unless NA thinks they can step up. I like the thought of McGeehan progressing to first team too

" No more one man non-shows and looking forward to a more balanced side with plenty of attack from all areas."

perhaps dear old ''fake district'' canary might care to tell us who was responsible for those supposed failingspardon ?ah yesus fans so it would seemwhich rather begs the question of why it is "looking good so far."after all, the cause ... us, will still be herewon''t we

For gods sakes city cant you just start a thread about LDC an not spam and ruin every thread he is in

I also agree on Redmond playing in the 10 he looked good when tried there

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]Surman starts?

Ahead of Johnson?

Ahead of Howson?

Ahead of Tettey?

Oh boy...[/quote]You couldn''t make it up......but he has! [:S][/quote]

I forgot about Tettey...... but I have always rated Surman if he is played in the right position - on left side of midfield. We were used to see him playing on the wing - or at least the widest player in the diamond under Lambert.  At B''nmouth he was played more centrally and did well there.

Johnson - still does not do it for me - his passing has proved his achilles heel and he hasn''t sorted it yet.  Howson - still flatters to deceive imo.  He seems good one minute then disappears the next.  At what stage do we start forgetting players who can''t play consistently or with poor technique?   Pilks doesn''t do enough either, even when fit.  

Our team is going to be harder to predict next season - but if you want proven and successful players at championship level - Surman is one of those. 

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Surman starts?

Ahead of Johnson?

Ahead of Howson?

Ahead of Tettey?

Oh boy...[/quote]

Surman is a class player. He is certainly far better than BJ - and tbh to imply that howson and tettey are streets ahead is a tad delusional.

Surman could have a big part to play next season and I hope Neil Adams has him in his plans.

Comparing Surman to Tettey and Johnson is an apples and pears scenario; lightweight attacking flair midfielder versus defensive break-up play midfielders.

I agree with LDC about Snodgrass being a one-man show though. Whilst I like his dead ball play, he can''t get down the wings with Premiership-standard speed and cut the ball back which is the type of service RVW clearly needs. Snodgrass isn''t a great corner-taker either. My lasting image of Snoddy will be of an amiable Glaswegian remonstrating with the Referee. And as for the psychological setback he caused RVW by snatching the ball away from him to take a penalty - which our number 7 subsequently missed...

There''s a long way to go between now and the start of the season , the dynamics are likely to change a lot more between now and then especially once the transfer window opens properly.

I agree with LDC about a lot of this and have always rated Surman but whether I would have him centrally ahead of Tettey, I don''t know.

One other thing LDC, would you really still play Redmond on the left after all his failed inverted winger displays of last season?

He is a talented, tricky, pacy young man but I sincerely hope he is not played on the left.

This is all very interesting, but it smacks of close season banter where there''s no actual football to discuss !Would it not be better to wait until a week or so before the season starts and we know exactly the personnel at our disposal before we begin to pick Adams''s team for him ?

Hear hear, Reggie. It does seem a particularly pointless exercise when there are likely to be a number of departures and new arrivals before the first kickoff of the new season.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]This is all very interesting, but it smacks of close season banter where there''s no actual football to discuss ![/quote]

Wtf else do you expect to see close season?

Or is it that there are one or two people discussing things reasonably with me that you don''t like.......

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]I agree with LDC about a lot of this and have always rated Surman but whether I would have him centrally ahead of Tettey, I don''t know.

One other thing LDC, would you really still play Redmond on the left after all his failed inverted winger displays of last season?

He is a talented, tricky, pacy young man but I sincerely hope he is not played on the left.[/quote]

I don''t know where his best position is, but if he is on form and confident I think he could play anywhere up front.   He just seemed to lose his way last season...like most of the team.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]This is all very interesting, but it smacks of close season banter where there''s no actual football to discuss !Would it not be better to wait until a week or so before the season starts and we know exactly the personnel at our disposal before we begin to pick Adams''s team for him ?[/quote]That''s just the kind of negativity that''s bringing this club down, man.  You need to, like, lighten up, man.

In the event that Snoddy is our only high profile loss this window (something which I don''t think is out of the question), I''d line the team up something like this with the current players we have at our disposal:

Ruddy

Martin Turner Bassong Olsson

Redmond Tettey Fer Murphy

Hoolahan/Hooper

Ricky/Grabban/Lafferty

I reckon we need a left footed winger to start ahead of Murphy as well as creative play maker - essentially a younger, more consistent Wes. Also, a CB wouldn''t go amiss as I can''t see Bennett, Turner and Bassong providing enough depth in the Champo. Maybe a new RB as well.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]This is all very interesting, but it smacks of close season banter where there''s no actual football to discuss ![/quote]

Wtf else do you expect to see close season?

Or is it that there are one or two people discussing things reasonably with me that you don''t like.......

[/quote]OOh dear Lake. who rattled your cage today ? You do have a high opinion of yourself. Like many others, I really couldn''t give a monkeys what you are discussing, how, and with whom.I was merely making the point that it''s pretty difficult second guessing the team for, say , Wolves away, until we know who is actually available for selection. That''s all.

Jesus

Look we have a lot of average championship calibre players in this squad hence the players that will leave are likely to be those that were brought in during the prem years, not those that came up with us, even pilks may have had his chance. I believe many reached their peak but this nonsense about dynamics of a first 11 is pointless, it is the full squad you need a full squad that can come in, our bench last season was short of ideas and options so our bench needs to improve by moving some of our starters last season to the bench and also those bench players to be squad players. There are a lot of games and it is key that we perform in every game, you have to be the best prepared, fittest and most talented to win this league to then have players who can make the step up to the prem.

Let''s see how the rest of the summer goes, we need a number of personnel in and if players want to go hoops and pilks we need to shift them on.