Sign in to follow this  
Jammy Yellow

Bassong

Since we have gone down many people have given what they think our squad will look like come the start of the season.

Not one has included our captain Seb Bassong

Are his days numbered at Carrow Road?

I have recently made this point. It seems generally assumed that SB will be on his way soon yet there have been no indications of this at all.

His last season was unspectacular so he would unlikely attract another Premier League side. A move abroad could well be the only option, but this is far from straight forward.

It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that he remains at Carrow Road. It is also not beyond the bounds of likelihood that he returns to his best and ''bestrides the Championship like a Colossus'' (Shaky Bill.) He is well capable of this, IMO, with his injury niggles gone and his head in the right place.

The latter would be a bonus for the Club, I feel but either way we still need a new CB of the highest quality on board. 

If his head is right we should keep him. Bassong needs a good full pre-season to get fully fit. He was outstanding in his first season, he lacked fitness last year and his performances were poor. He took a great deal of criticism last season - some deserved, some not. That said, i think he will leave, the shirt release focused on Martin which speaks volumes for Bassong the captain.

SB seems, on the face of it to be a bit of a Hughton man. So, if any chairman is reckless and foolhardy enough to give him the keys to the manager''s office door, then expect Bassong to pitch up there pretty soon afterwards.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]SB seems, on the face of it to be a bit of a Hughton man. So, if any chairman is reckless and foolhardy enough to give him the keys to the manager''s office door, then expect Bassong to pitch up there pretty soon afterwards.[/quote]

I think even Hughton would think twice about him, after last season.......

If we could have the Bassong back from the first season he was here, I''d keep him.

Last season he suffered from two things, in my opinion:

1) He started the season fairly soon after an operation, having missed much of the pre-season preparation.

2) He was made team captain, which was a big enough burden for someone who seems to me to be a shy person, and worse, there was a spectre at the feast in the shape of the club captain, Russell Martin. If Bassong continues with us, there could be the latter issue to resolve. Do we need two captains, and if so who would be the best choice?

The man was overburdened, and like everyone else had the somewhat negative approach of Hughton to contend with. Looking back, I''m not surprised that his form suffered.

He wanted to leave last summer (doesn''t like Norwich as a place) but Hughton made him captain and convinced him to stay.

He''s a very bad trainer, would spend all week in the treatment room but expect to be first choice on a Saturday.. Will be shocked if he''s here but with three relegations on his cv who would want him?

Could not care less what happens to him. Last season he was a disgrace. Should never have been given captaincy and not one game I remember him leading by example.

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]After refusing to get on the bus for Fulham away I cant see how he can stay[/quote]

is there any truth behind this? or is it another RVW walking out of the ground tittle tatle...

I would actually like to see him here next year and give it a real go alongside Bennett, and use Turner as backup.  

He''ll be on a big wage, he doesn''t like it in Norwich and he isn''t captain material. Need to shift him out sharpish - surely someone in Ligue 1 would take a punt?