Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Unforced errors

In tennis pundits talk about this stat perhaps more than any other when discussing the way a match has gone.   I''m not keen on stats as a whole, but this stat seems to me to one of the most important ones when it comes to football.   Misplaced passes when not under any particular pressure have been the story of our last two seasons - and under Lambert too, in the premiership, where we used to give the ball away a lot.

Simple pass and move is neglected for holding on to the ball and then either getting crowded out or being forced to pass it under pressure, either way a negative outcome.   Pass and move may be too simplistic for some people, but for me it makes sense - get the ball and move it on quickly so as you are not putting yourself under pressure.  

Is there anyone that does this kind of stat for football?    It would maybe be quite revealing.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Crafty way of starting another Snodgrass thread. [;)][/quote]

No, not really.  Johnson was the first to come to mind, Snodgrass has gone (presumably) so is irrelevant if we are thinking about next season.  Just cutting out basic errors could make a huge difference to the outcome of our season.

I suspect that there was fear involved, and very often no-one to pass to because they were hiding, rather than running into spaces.

It''s the same problem with many England mistakes - everyone is too stationary, and so were easily marked. Some of the African teams showed us how it is done - at speed.

In the end two moving attackers should e able to beat one stationary defender, but we didn''t do this enough. I''m sure that the squad practice passing and running, - we''ve seen film clips of it, but on the pitch much goes out of the window. Adams needs to get them confident, and then it could come more easily.

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]Let''s continue the analogy. Tennis also has mixed doubles. Ergo, we should sign some women players.[/quote]

Yeah, lets.....[;)]  

Tennis has been using hawk-eye since 2005.    Tennis players use sports psychologists as a matter of course.

Tennis players don''t bite each other.

Salopian has hit on the key factors. First, our build-up play was too slow and too predictable to beat PL quality players. Second, confidence is crucial in football and too many of our players lacked it too much of the time.

Hopefully under Adams'' promised attacking style of play City will move the ball more quickly and catch out less skillful opposition players. The key will be a good start to the season, which will build confidence and reinforce the new style of play. That''s what I hope anyway.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]Let''s continue the analogy. Tennis also has mixed doubles. Ergo, we should sign some women players.[/quote]

Yeah, lets.....[;)]  

Tennis has been using hawk-eye since 2005.    Tennis players use sports psychologists as a matter of course.

Tennis players don''t bite each other.[/quote]Tennis is glorified Ping Pong. [8-|]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]Let''s continue the analogy. Tennis also has mixed doubles. Ergo, we should sign some women players.[/quote]Yeah, lets.....[;)]   Tennis has been using hawk-eye since 2005. Tennis players use sports psychologists as a matter of course.Tennis players don''t bite each other.[/quote]Tennis is glorified Ping Pong. [8-|][/quote]

I''ll ping,  if you pong.......oh.......[:(]