Sign in to follow this  
Buh

One thing I won't miss about the premier league

The referees

From the unique perspective of a fan who saw refereeing through the leagues on consecutive seasons I can tell you the refereeing in league one and the championship is far superior.

The basic blunders performed by these alleged experts of the game in the premier league are laughable. The atrocities they performed against our club and, frankly, clubs of our size and stature around us was absurd.

I found the whole thing quite preposterous that as the quality of players increased the quality of refereeing declined rapidly.

Every game I looked for the referee and every time I recalled an incident in which they had screwed us over either through incompetence or just a sort of self served internal justice system they have. They feel they have to maintain a balance rather than referee a game as it actually happens. they have to attone for mistakes they made to even things out, how about not make the mistakes in the first place? How about actually train these referees properly?

So I hope the championship refereeing is fairer as I remember it with referees actually trying to ref rather than selling hair products or eating pies in the case of phil dowd.

Don''t you think that the perceived quality of the referee is down to losing the majority of games? Just have a look on here after a defeat. From the comments posted virtually every defeat is down to the referee. Yet the referee doesn''t get a mention after those rare games when a win is recorded. In those seasons in the championship & league one the wins far outweighed the defeats and so far fewer games were seen as being the referees fault.

So Buy by your reckoning Eddie Ilard was above premiership quality?

Nope they are just genuinely poorer

Phil Dowd can''t even keep up with play because he''s built like Winston Churchill, Andre Marriner sent off the wrong black guy last season for gods sake! that''s before we get to Mark Clattenburg who is clearly more focussed on releasing a range of haircare products than refereeing a football game.

the standard in a league that is alleged by many to be the best in the world is atrocious.

Perhaps their mistakes are more highlighted due to the blanket coverage the media gives the Prem league. Refereeing is not an exact science, mistakes will always happen. Where I do agree with you is the bigger clubs always get the benefit of doubt and seem to always favour them.

It may be a contributing factor but I can remember Michael Oliver being horrendous when he sent Grant Holt off against Reading and what did he get for that? A promotion!

The standard of refereeing is astonishing for such a high level of sport especially when compared to other sports. Compare the dedication, knowledge and control your average rugby ref or American football ref has against the likes of Kevin Friend.

He looks as if one of the players dads is reffing for a favour

Buh, I  hope you are not expecting all the refs in the Champ to be excellent. Because, if you are, you are in for a nasty shock. I remember in our last longish (pre 2009) stay in it, some the refereeing was beyond diabolical.In Lge One and the  Champ promotion season after I do not remember some seriously bad officials, but there again , we were doing so well, it''d have been churlish to grumble !!

I''m not expecting the refs to float into the stadium but I think they are far more intelligent that the knuckle draggers in the prem. The league deserves better refs, definitely. The current crop are extremely poor.

And if theres a problem producing refs domestically we should import from abroad. I''m amazed with the money riding on the prem that the standard of refereeing hasn''t been questioned more. Possibly because any slight muttering leads to a big fine and a wrist slapping.

Not sure how you can get a fine for saying "He couldn''t work the difference between chamberlain or Gibbs so he took a guess, he''s an idiot" but apparently its the case.

The players make far more mistakes than the refs do. Why is it acceptable for players but not for referees?

[quote user="Al"]The players make far more mistakes than the refs do. Why is it acceptable for players but not for referees?[/quote]

What makes you think fans accept mistakes from players or managers for that matter? I''ve seen some players get absolute pelters from the crowd.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="Al"]The players make far more mistakes than the refs do. Why is it acceptable for players but not for referees?[/quote]

What makes you think fans accept mistakes from players or managers for that matter? I''ve seen some players get absolute pelters from the crowd.[/quote]

A players mistakes are soon forgotten though. One mistake & a referee is shit for ever.

[quote user="Al"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="Al"]The players make far more mistakes than the refs do. Why is it acceptable for players but not for referees?[/quote]

What makes you think fans accept mistakes from players or managers for that matter? I''ve seen some players get absolute pelters from the crowd.[/quote]

A players mistakes are soon forgotten though. One mistake & a referee is shit for ever.[/quote]

Don''t agree, how about off the top of my head, Robert Green England versus USA.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="Al"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="Al"]The players make far more mistakes than the refs do. Why is it acceptable for players but not for referees?[/quote]

A players mistakes are soon forgotten though. One mistake & a referee is shit for ever.[/quote]

Don''t agree, how about off the top of my head, Robert Green England versus USA.[/quote]

Norwich players made shed loads of mistakes in every single game last season. Are you going to be giving them abuse because of it? Of course you aren''t. A referee makes a mistake & it''s very different

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Buh, I  hope you are not expecting all the refs in the Champ to be excellent. Because, if you are, you are in for a nasty shock. I remember in our last longish (pre 2009) stay in it, some the refereeing was beyond diabolical.

In Lge One and the  Champ promotion season after I do not remember some seriously bad officials, but there again , we were doing so well, it''d have been churlish to grumble !!
[/quote]

Huzzah! [Y]

[quote user="Buh"]It may be a contributing factor but I can remember Michael Oliver being horrendous when he sent Grant Holt off against Reading and what did he get for that? A promotion!

The standard of refereeing is astonishing for such a high level of sport especially when compared to other sports. Compare the dedication, knowledge and control your average rugby ref or American football ref has against the likes of Kevin Friend.

He looks as if one of the players dads is reffing for a favour[/quote]

Just to point out Buh, American football has more than one ref on the pitch, however, maybe that could work in "soccer"!

AI wrote "Norwich players made shed loads of mistakes in every single game last season. Are you going to be giving them abuse because of it? Of course you aren''t. A referee makes a mistake & it''s very different"

Of course it''s different, i dont support the ref i just want him to do a job where i dont notice him, i do support Norwich, equally unless that ref makes mistakes everytime i see him i dont keep a mental account of his name and all his cock-ups. My point was that fans clearly dont always accept mistakes from players, as you seemed to suggest. Yes refs can be thought of as * forever, but so can players if the mistake is high profile enough.

I think there is evidence to suggest that more decisions go the way of say the top six teams in the PL. Given we, like the majority of the PL, weren''t in that mini league over the course of a season the influence of referees is neutral.

When you are in a struggling team you always feel decisions are going against you. If you are good enough a few dodgy decisions don''t matter. Our problem last season was not dodgy refs. We just weren''t good enough.

What inspired the comparison to American football officiating other than them being American which somehow makes them more important? Why not use comparisons that might actually mean something to typical pinkun readers? Cricket umps, parks league football refs, things we may have some familiarity with.

As for the original complaint, it loses more validity beyond what others have alresdy pointed out when you factor in that in League 1 and to a lesser extent the Championship, we were the big fish getting the breaks so of course the officiating seemed fair.

Other than having more games to look forward to the only other sliver lining to Championship football is not being officiated by referees influenced by the badges on the chests of the players in front of them and the sharp tongues of the big club managers who have the journalists eating out of their hands.

There was a noticable difference in how we were treated with regards to penalty and free kick decisions from the moment we were promoted.

Quite simply, refs knew they would avoid the spot light and personal criticism if they ruled against a club like us in favour of the bigger name. For example, we were never going to get that freekick award on the edge of Liverpool''s box after 90+ minutes because it was far safer to assume that it was a legitimate challenge (and keep Gerrard and Brendan) in the title chase than accept that it was foul play (and give Martin and Neil) the slim chance of survival.

We will undoubtedly get a fairer deal next season in a league with far less press attention and as an equal to many rather than a minnow to the ''mighty''.

[quote user="ricardo"]When you are in a struggling team you always feel decisions are going against you. If you are good enough a few dodgy decisions don''t matter. Our problem last season was not dodgy refs. We just weren''t good enough.[/quote]Pretty much the point I made earlier, Rick, and your last point is spot-on. For anyone to suggest we were relegated last season on the back of poor refereeing would be a travesty .My experience in this is that once you start blaming ref bias etc for your teams shortcomings it is the thin end of the wedge. There are good and bad refs at ALL levels, and some (all ?) refs have good and bad days. Howard Webb made some rather debatable ones in the Chile v Brazil game yesterday.