Sign in to follow this  
MancCanary

People need to get over Rhodes..

Because it''s very very unlikely he would sign for us. Forget the fee (although I think it''s unlikely City will spend £6 - £8m on a player again for a while) - he will be holding out for a move to the Prem. If we can afford him, so can every club in the Premiership, and if it becomes public knowledge that Blackburn will sell - I''m sure at least one club in the bottom half will take him.

In short, if he''s available, we won''t stand a chance in signing him.

Whilst Lafferty and Grabban aren''t as big names, Grabban only scored 3 less goals than Rhodes, and played a few less games too. We''ve needed a player like Lafferty since Holt left - someone with a high work-rate, a bit of guile and good feet.

I think the big money needs to be spent on a creative midfielder, and a centre back. And one of them at least needs to be a strong leader.

Should signing Rhodes ever have been a faint possibility, it is unlikely now with our latest arrivals.

As a recruitment policy, instead of waiting to land one big fish (Rhodes) it''s probably more prudent to go about catching one or two very decent ones such as Grabban & Lafferty...

"I think the big money needs to be spent on a creative midfielder....."

This is an important acquisition. We could have done with one last season as well.

[quote user="Herman "]

"I think the big money needs to be spent on a creative midfielder....."

This is an important acquisition. We could have done with one last season as well.

[/quote]And at the time we thought Fer might fill that hole, even though he didn''t

Well I for one need to get over rhodesnto drive my car, going over fields does my head in! Seriously where on the board has there been this angst that we need to sign him?

Ron - pretty much every day! Almost every thread about signing players (and especially strikers) contains a post from someone saying we need to spend the money from Snodgrass on Rhodes.

We put too many eggs in one basket last summer by spending big on RVW. If we can keep Hooper, we have two strikers (Grabban being the other) with a great goalscoring record at this level. If we''re going to splash out on one big signing it should be a midfield playmaker IMO. I think trying to sign Rhodes would be daft unless Hooper, RVW and Becchio all leave.