Sign in to follow this  
simmo_2

New signings so far!

They will help us cement our place as a mid table championship club, which in my opinion is all the current board want to achieve.

its strange how all the people calling for a return to buying up and coming talent

and british rough diamonds suddenly moan when that''s what we do

You would call two 26-year-olds up and coming, or young? I don''t think so. Lafferty had promise at Burnleys years ago, and lets not forget, the season we signed Cureton back he just finished as the divisions top scorer. I''m hugely underwhelmed by the signings so far. I would swap both Lafferty and Grabban for Rhodes any day. That would be a step in the right direction.

Who knows how good these signings will be it will largely depend on how things gel and if they suit Adams''s systems (which we must assume they do) but let''s judge them on their performances and attitudes ... neither of which we''ve seen yet.

Considering we are a Championship club again these are decent signings.

Bigger / proven names will now be going to Palace, Hull, Leicester and Burnley - you have to accept that as it''s Hughton''s legacy.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Who knows how good these signings will be it will largely depend on how things gel and if they suit Adams''s systems (which we must assume they do) but let''s judge them on their performances and attitudes ... neither of which we''ve seen yet.

Considering we are a Championship club again these are decent signings.

Bigger / proven names will now be going to Palace, Hull, Leicester and Burnley - you have to accept that as it''s Hughton''s legacy.[/quote]Absolutely correct CC.The signings made so far give a pretty big hint as to what NA is planning on the way he sets up next season. Looks pretty encouraging. There again this time last year , the signings were pointing towards something a bit more positive from Hughton. Look how that turned out.Me, I''m just pinning my hopes on the belief that the law of averages surely says that we cannot have two managers on the trot who buy all the wrong players to suit their employed tactics.?

Two good signings that are suited to our lower level status. I don''t see what there is to be hugely underwhelmed about.

There seems to be a lot of wanna be Wizards on here lately.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"]You would call two 26-year-olds up and coming, or young? I don''t think so. Lafferty had promise at Burnleys years ago, and lets not forget, the season we signed Cureton back he just finished as the divisions top scorer. I''m hugely underwhelmed by the signings so far. I would swap both Lafferty and Grabban for Rhodes any day. That would be a step in the right direction.[/quote]

if you think we can spend 8m on a player you are retarded

We had two huge gaps upfront last season a target man and a striker who is quick enough to run in behind, we''ve filled those gaps. As for being 26 what does that matter? We have young players already it''s about supporting those young players.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Me, I''m just pinning my hopes on the belief that the law of averages surely says that we cannot have two managers on the trot who buy all the wrong players to suit their employed tactics.?[/quote]Yeah; I''m not sure the law of averages works like that, Reggie. If you flip a coin twice, does the law of averages surely say that you will get one heads and one tails? Averages tend to work out over a period of time; not over two instances.Maybe find something else to pin your hopes on, eh? Perhaps praying that Adams will be given short shrift and the alternating pattern you describe can come into play in your favour once more.

It was tongue in cheek, Chip, not some theory  to be dissected by a professor of statistics at the UEA !!But, yes, I take your point. Whatever statistical method we use, I think all or most of us are hoping that NA is buying people like Grabban and Lafferty because he(shock, horror) he plans to play to their strengths ?

I guess we''ll never discover why Hughton bought RVW and Hooper and deprived them of the service they needed?...

I sincerely hope Neil Adams sets the team up to meet the new players preferred style!

I suppose we have to hope that Adams has a plan for how he wants his team to play and that he is signing players to accomplish that. I got the feeling with a lot of Hughton''s targets and signings that the plan was basically to attempt to get in any quality player we could attract and to then sort out how they might play together afterwards. There never really seemed to be a plan as to how RvW and/or Hooper would be utilised. I got the feeling we Hughton was briefed that we might be able to get this quality player and he said ok, hoping that just having them in the team would mean theyd score goals. Adams seems to have an idea of how his team will play and score goals, and unlike Hughton, isnt charged with having to take the club to the next level, so its not just about who we can attract. We could probably attract most players good enough to get us out of the division at present. Lets hope Adams is cherry picking the ones he thinks will give him options for plans A B and C and not just a ''lets get them in, sort it out later'' approach

I know, Reggie. I was just being a bit cheeky. An in a good mood for a change ''cause I''m going on holiday today. First proper time off in a year.

I have to admit to knowing little of Lafferty.That said, I know more about Grabban and to be honest I am surprised that a Champ team hadn''t taken a gamble on him earlier in his career. He has pace and skill and can play a number of roles in attacking positions.When people say they would rather have Rhodes - if Rhodes is going to cost the rumoured £10million, then it may well be a case of ensuring we have more eggs from which we can hope chickens will spring.Rhodes also isn''t the same sort of player as Grabban or Lafferty.There is also nothing to say that we still may go for him. And again, there is this silly idea that Rhodes is even an option. He might have turned us down already, he may have premier league suitors etc.

[quote user="Chip20"]I know, Reggie. I was just being a bit cheeky. An in a good mood for a change ''cause I''m going on holiday today. First proper time off in a year.[/quote]5 star villa in the Bahamas for the Chip household this year, is it then ?Wherever...have good one.

Adams isn''t daft. We don''t know exactly how he''ll set up next season - you can''t read much into the teams/tactics he employed for the last five games of last season. Similarly, I doubt he''ll employ the same style he used with the youth team, as he knows the demands of Championship football are very different from U21 football. From what I''ve seen and heard I think he''s a versatile and intelligent coach, who knows that one style of football isn''t going to work for every match. Lafferty is a player in the Roberts/Holt mould, who will make life hell for defenders, and he also has a decent touch and a reasonable turn of pace. He''s a good target man for away games, or to bring on when we''re chasing the game. Grabban is more of an all-rounder with an eye for goal. One has to assume that either Wolf or Hooper won''t be here when the season starts, and I''d be amazed if Becchio is still here. The signings so far are very astute in my opinion, and have us well prepared for a season of Championship graft. Now it''s just a case of how he perceives the rest of the team; do we go 4-4-2 with pacy wingers? Or narrower in midfield with overlapping full backs and a holding man to support the centre backs? Nobody really knows; it''s all conjecture at the moment. Personally I''m excited to see how Adams manifests the ''attractive, attacking football'' we have been promised.

It could be all of those things FtW. Both Grabban and Lafferty are versatile frontmen who can play as a CF or out wide in a pacey 4-3-3. City should be far more attacking now and certainly far less predictable.

I have to admit to knowing little of Lafferty.That said, I know more about Grabban and to be honest I am surprised that a Champ team hadn''t taken a gamble on him earlier in his career. He has pace and skill and can play a number of roles in attacking positions.When people say they would rather have Rhodes - if Rhodes is going to cost the rumoured £10million, then it may well be a case of ensuring we have more eggs from which we can hope chickens will spring.Rhodes also isn''t the same sort of player as Grabban or Lafferty.There is also nothing to say that we still may go for him. And again, there is this silly idea that Rhodes is even an option. He might have turned us down already, he may have premier league suitors etc.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]These are exactly the kind of signings Lambert would make.[/quote]Uncannily so.Signing a right back from Peterborough United''s reserves in a League One promotion push, a midfielder from Colchester United''s reserves in a Championship promotion push, and an ageing striker from MK Dons with a distinctly average record in the lower leagues in a Premier League survival bid all warranted far much furore than this on face value. To this day i''m sure that not one canary would sing his or her regrets on Lambert having made those moves in the market.This - albeit abated - outcry is laughable and frankly ignorant if one only considers our own clubs recent history.

Are they signings that will bring promotion because thats all anybody is worried about , i think the thing we will miss most next season is a proper manager.Whatever the squad is like the manager has not served his time anywhere and should not be in charge of a club expecting promotion , Adams never seemed to have any inclination towards management untill the Norwich job fell in his lap , its going to be Gunn all over again .

[quote user="Cheap Cheap Canaries"]Are they signings that will bring promotion because thats all anybody is worried about , i think the thing we will miss most next season is a proper manager.Whatever the squad is like the manager has not served his time anywhere and should not be in charge of a club expecting promotion , Adams never seemed to have any inclination towards management untill the Norwich job fell in his lap , its going to be Gunn all over again .[/quote]I call bull...

I think they have the potential to bring promotion, being the sort of players we should be signing. Rhodes had 25 goals in 46 matches last season for Blackburn, an established ex PL Championship side. Grabban had 22 goals in 44 matches for newly promoted Bournemouth. Would Rhodes really be worth £7m more? Not IMO. Rhodes is a penalty box strker who waits for the ball to come to him, while Grabban is a pacey 6'' striker who can run at defences, play out wide or in the middle and assist others to score. Lafferty is similar, with 11 goals in 34 matches for Palermo, 16 of which coming on as sub. We get two good strikers instaed of one and still have £4m left for other players. Seems a no brainer to me.

As for Adams, I think he''ll surprise a lot of people with his knowledge of the game and his ability as a motivator. Both Grabban and Lafferty were convinced by his attacking vision of next season and I think a lot of other people will be soon.

if you look at cheap cheaps other posts he a blatent Binman

who are reveling in the free transfer of a man city reject

We had no physical presence up front last season now we do and lost of other talented players. Snodgrass will be a huge loss but we have the makings of a promotion squad here

No just a City fan who knows we have taken the cheap option and will pay for it. Adams with an ex binner manager keeping an eye on him ...oh dear oh dear , sacked 20 games in, and somebody really should tell our rookie manager there are other positions in the team other than strikers .