Sign in to follow this  
iron_stan

pilkington

anyone know whats going on with his contract ? doesnt it expire tomorrow ??be a bit of a stupid move to let him go on a free, useful player on his day

[quote user="iron_stan"]anyone know whats going on with his contract ? doesnt it expire tomorrow ??be a bit of a stupid move to let him go on a free, useful player on his day[/quote]We have a one-year option, which the club has utilised. Other than Fox and Nash who were released, anyone else out of contract this summer had an optional extra year, which has been taken up. I believe that covers Pilks, Tettey and Turner - is that right?

[quote user="iron_stan"]anyone know whats going on with his contract ? doesnt it expire tomorrow ??be a bit of a stupid move to let him go on a free, useful player on his day[/quote]

Think about it. Surely we all would have heard about another club coming in for him if his contract expires tomorrow?

I would hope that players like Pilkington would see the new regime at the club as an opportunity for a fresh start, and to work hard and fight for their place.On his day, the OP is right, he is a fantastic player, but those days don''t come often enough.

[quote user="iron_stan"]not necessarily harman

plenty of players contracts expire before joining a new club

[/quote]

Surely he''s a good enough player to attract interest from somewhere?

[quote user="mrs miggins"]he''s going to be a very important player i feel with snodgrass now about to go.[/quote]Pilks, Benno, Redmond and Josh Murphy would be a great line-up to compete for our wide berths. Important that we hold on to all of them!

Both Tettey and Pilkington had options of a further year that have been taken up.Fox also had one but it wasn''t.Turner people keep saying does, but I haven''t been able to see anything that states he does. On the official website it includes both Pilkington''s and Tettey''s but doesn''t with Turner.

[quote user="chicken"]Both Tettey and Pilkington had options of a further year that have been taken up.Fox also had one but it wasn''t.Turner people keep saying does, but I haven''t been able to see anything that states he does. On the official website it includes both Pilkington''s and Tettey''s but doesn''t with Turner.[/quote]That''s worrying. Because he''s out of contract, my guess is that they''re trying to renegotiate with him, but he''s holding out for a wage that doesn''t include a relegation pay cut. Wouldn''t imagine he''d find it difficult to find another club, we must''ve paid a decent amount for him two years ago and it''d be a real shame for him to leave on a free, especially to a Championship rival. Personally I''d give him another two years with an option for a third, and consider making him captain.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]When Adams said Fox and Nash were leaving he said they were the only players out of contract in the summer.[/quote]Thanks Bethnal, that''s greatly reassuring. Turner will be vital for us this season.

That''s not accurate Bethnal. I believe that Adams said they were the only two that would not be offered new contracts which is a bit different.It also explains why Turner hasn''t appeared on the free transfer lists yet as that tends to be ''released'' players at least initially, in other words, players whose contracts are due to run out and who have not been offered new terms by their current clubs.If Turner had agreed a new deal, or had a further year option and had it taken up then he would have been mentioned in the several articles about Tettey which also identified that Pilkington had a similar clause also taken up.

''The former Canaries midfielder [Adams] confirmed Fox and Nash were the only players in the current squad who were out of contract, that the club don’t have an option to extend, and that the fringe duo would be leaving.''

Taken from the EDP. ''Fox and Nash only players that don''t have an option to extend''. Which means Turner does have an option. Pretty sure we would have heard by now if there wasn''t an option or if he was going to leave.

Taking away whatever Pilkington wants, this is a tough call for the club. A fully fit and firing Pilkington would be a massive asset to the promotion push, but the Pilkington of the last few seasons, never fully fit, would just be a waste of money and squad space.Tricky.

Hmm, cheers for that Bethnal - is that from a PinkUn article? Still a bit odd as like I have said - Fox and Nash gone, Tettey and Pilington both taken up as stated in various places. Nothing at all on Turner. You''d expect that they would have at least mentioned it?@Morty - http://www.canaries.co.uk/team/player-profile/anthony-pilkington/122011-2012: 32 appearances of which 7 were as a substitute, 8 goals.2012-2013: 33 appearances of which 7 were as a substitute, 5 goals.2013-2014: 17 appearances of which 6 were as a substitute, 2 goals.Injuries hampered him more last season than the two prior, and he stated he was fit at the end of last season. In my view, he wasn''t match fit/sharp enough at that point.Also, at just turned 26 I think he has plenty left in him yet. Another one you''d like to see sign a contract extension even if just to tie him down for a further year just to see how he gets on this season. 2 goals in 11 starts is still better than the majority of our midfield last season . . .

Couldnt agree more Morts, he came to us on the back of a nasty injury, he came to us, a bigger club than Hudds and has been somewhere between fantastic and disappointing at various times.

If we, as supporters, are undecided about him, is there really a queue of ''bigger clubs'' wanting him? i think probably not. As with Snodders, we''d be mugs to turn down a serious money offer, but just cant see above what we paid ,being offered. ...therefore Pilks old bean, its back to work and prove yourself all over again, cos last season wouldnt have impressed anyone.;

[quote user="chicken"]Hmm, cheers for that Bethnal - is that from a PinkUn article? Still a bit odd as like I have said - Fox and Nash gone, Tettey and Pilington both taken up as stated in various places. Nothing at all on Turner. You''d expect that they would have at least mentioned it?@Morty - http://www.canaries.co.uk/team/player-profile/anthony-pilkington/122011-2012: 32 appearances of which 7 were as a substitute, 8 goals.2012-2013: 33 appearances of which 7 were as a substitute, 5 goals.2013-2014: 17 appearances of which 6 were as a substitute, 2 goals.Injuries hampered him more last season than the two prior, and he stated he was fit at the end of last season. In my view, he wasn''t match fit/sharp enough at that point.Also, at just turned 26 I think he has plenty left in him yet. Another one you''d like to see sign a contract extension even if just to tie him down for a further year just to see how he gets on this season. 2 goals in 11 starts is still better than the majority of our midfield last season . . . [/quote]Oh I agree, fully fit he is a favourite player of mine. But would he be interested in just a year though? My guess is that he would want at least three, given his age, and that would definitely be a risk.But I guess the club are in a far better position to know what he wants, than we are.No, I don''t think he was fully fit at any time last season, which is a shame. What could have been if he was, and we had a fit Bennett pushing Snoddy for his place.

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]Couldnt agree more Morts, he came to us on the back of a nasty injury, he came to us, a bigger club than Hudds and has been somewhere between fantastic and disappointing at various times.

If we, as supporters, are undecided about him, is there really a queue of ''bigger clubs'' wanting him? i think probably not. As with Snodders, we''d be mugs to turn down a serious money offer, but just cant see above what we paid ,being offered. ...therefore Pilks old bean, its back to work and prove yourself all over again, cos last season wouldnt have impressed anyone.;[/quote]I would doubt that there are clubs queuing up for him, to be honest.

My point was that bar last season, he hasn''t been injured as much as a lot of people suggest.And there may well not be a long queue of suitors for him, but I suspect that if he was available relatively cheaply there would. I''d be surprised if there weren''t a couple of teams that were interested as it is.Much of the bottom half of the premier league, and possibly a couple just inside the top half, were much of a muchness last season. All of those teams will be looking for a player capable of giving something a little different, a little unpredictable. Pilkington on his day can do that.

[quote user="chicken"]My point was that bar last season, he hasn''t been injured as much as a lot of people suggest.And there may well not be a long queue of suitors for him, but I suspect that if he was available relatively cheaply there would. I''d be surprised if there weren''t a couple of teams that were interested as it is.Much of the bottom half of the premier league, and possibly a couple just inside the top half, were much of a muchness last season. All of those teams will be looking for a player capable of giving something a little different, a little unpredictable. Pilkington on his day can do that.[/quote]Yeah, thats the rub though.

Is it? He played very well against some top teams last season - Chelsea being a standout. Even when he is not in one of his best games he still works hard and is neat and tidy with the ball.I do sometimes wonder what some people expect/want from players.Only the best players in the world can produce match influencing performances week in, week out - and even then they have off days. As said, for a top championship side or any team from 9th-17th in the premier league of last season could be interested. Either as a useful squad player or better.He''s really not as poor as some people make out.

[quote user="chicken"]Is it? He played very well against some top teams last season - Chelsea being a standout. Even when he is not in one of his best games he still works hard and is neat and tidy with the ball.I do sometimes wonder what some people expect/want from players.Only the best players in the world can produce match influencing performances week in, week out - and even then they have off days. As said, for a top championship side or any team from 9th-17th in the premier league of last season could be interested. Either as a useful squad player or better.He''s really not as poor as some people make out.[/quote]I''m not making him out to be poor at all, I have already said that I rate him.But I want the Pilkington back that we saw in 2011 / 2012. You can''t deny that he has failed to reach those heights in the last two seasons, whatever the reason.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="chicken"]Is it? He played very well against some top teams last season - Chelsea being a standout. Even when he is not in one of his best games he still works hard and is neat and tidy with the ball.

I do sometimes wonder what some people expect/want from players.

Only the best players in the world can produce match influencing performances week in, week out - and even then they have off days. As said, for a top championship side or any team from 9th-17th in the premier league of last season could be interested. Either as a useful squad player or better.

He''s really not as poor as some people make out.
[/quote]

I''m not making him out to be poor at all, I have already said that I rate him.

But I want the Pilkington back that we saw in 2011 / 2012. You can''t deny that he has failed to reach those heights in the last two seasons, whatever the reason.
[/quote]

Chris Hughton is the answer to that question. Just think about it

[quote user="York Canary"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="chicken"]Is it? He played very well against some top teams last season - Chelsea being a standout. Even when he is not in one of his best games he still works hard and is neat and tidy with the ball.I do sometimes wonder what some people expect/want from players.Only the best players in the world can produce match influencing performances week in, week out - and even then they have off days. As said, for a top championship side or any team from 9th-17th in the premier league of last season could be interested. Either as a useful squad player or better.He''s really not as poor as some people make out.[/quote]I''m not making him out to be poor at all, I have already said that I rate him.But I want the Pilkington back that we saw in 2011 / 2012. You can''t deny that he has failed to reach those heights in the last two seasons, whatever the reason.[/quote]

Chris Hughton is the answer to that question. Just think about it

[/quote]He injured Pilkington?Best you have a think about it.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="chicken"]Is it? He played very well against some top teams last season - Chelsea being a standout. Even when he is not in one of his best games he still works hard and is neat and tidy with the ball.I do sometimes wonder what some people expect/want from players.Only the best players in the world can produce match influencing performances week in, week out - and even then they have off days. As said, for a top championship side or any team from 9th-17th in the premier league of last season could be interested. Either as a useful squad player or better.He''s really not as poor as some people make out.[/quote]I''m not making him out to be poor at all, I have already said that I rate him.But I want the Pilkington back that we saw in 2011 / 2012. You can''t deny that he has failed to reach those heights in the last two seasons, whatever the reason.[/quote]

Yeah, that header against Manure was distinctly average.......but apart from that, I would agree.   The opposite of Snodgrass in that a lot of work he does goes unnoticed - but he still contributes goals.   Get him back up to full fitness/confidence  and he should give us that extra option back,  out wide.   

what a load of old crap this thread is

we have a one year option which we exercised in Jan

Pilkington has made it clear he wants off plus he is a sick note

Only had 15 good games in 3 years

Do we sell this summer or let him leave next year on a free

Get real people

Then let him leave next year on a free if necessary. We won''t get a big offer for him (as we did with Snoddy), he''s more useful to us in the squad than not, and when on form he''s a game changer...