Sign in to follow this  
JB

Olsson to WBA?

Cant see anything about this yet on here, but Olsson to WBA is the latest on him it would seem.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2674291/West-Brom-line-Norwichs-Swedish-left-Martin-Olsson.html

this is one we should dig our heals in over and convince him to stay

massive loss if we lose him, especially to a club we could well be swapping places with this time next year......

It would be great if he stays given how good he is likely to be in the Championship, but, if the money offered is good, then its always tough to say no

Yet another report in a local Brum paper insists that Aaron Cresswell from Ip5wich is favourite to fill this slot at £3.5m.

This would make a bit more sense to me as this player has long been tracked by PL sides and the binners need to sell to add numbers to their depleted squad. McCarthy has virtually touted him in the past.

I feel that Olsson is the better of the two so he should command a bit more if push comes to shove.

I''d be upset to lose Olsson but not devestated. I rate Garrido as a good defensive full back more than adequate for the Championship. I''d hope we got a good deal though. Anything £5m+ we''d have to consider.

Like Jimmy, I''d be more than happy with Garrido.

Not the greatest defender you''ll ever see but the best fullback we''ve got. I''d prefer to keep him but we''ll be doing well if we get through the summer only losing Snodgrass from our group of better players.

I suppose this isn''t all that surprising, because with Snods effectively gone, Olsson is probably the only outfield player on our books without any sort of question mark as to whether he is genuine PL quality.As with RS, if Olsson wants to go, and WBA will stump up, we''ve not really much option than to let him go.

As good as he is I cant think left back is a key key position for us;   we got promoted last time with marc tierney,  ditto eddy at right back previously;   solid is enough,  its quality going forward that matters.  

If Olsson goes I am confident we will get a decent replacement and garrido is top quality anyway

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

As good as he is I cant think left back is a key key position for us;   we got promoted last time with marc tierney,  ditto eddy at right back previously;   solid is enough,  its quality going forward that matters.  

If Olsson goes I am confident we will get a decent replacement and garrido is top quality anyway[/quote]

I hope we keep Olsson too - because he is a class act and a terrific whole hearted, team player.  But Garrido has a great left foot and can fire a great free kick - not that we ever saw it (seem to remember one, maybe) due to someone else who shall be nameless..... 

Garrido - would he want to stay and be second fiddle to Olsson again?   Is he the type that will sit in the background again - especially down a division?  I think he would do ok for us as a first choice left back if necessary, but Olsson  is the man in possession.   If we could keep them both, we will be well covered in that department - especially as Whittaker can also play there.   But I wouldn''t be surprised to see either of Olsson or Garrido going.  But we would miss it badly if they both went.

I think the only people who can really talk about this player going to another club is Olsson himself and Adams. When he was in the championship for blackburn they disliked him so much there for his lack of effort in that league compared to what they had seen from him do in the prem. The boy has an attitude problem it seems (perhaps there were other circumstances e.g manager) so it depends on what frame of mind he''s in, theres no point keeping him if he''s going to play badly and not try for us when we can get quite a bit for a versatile left back.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Garrido - would he want to stay and be second fiddle to Olsson again?   Is he the type that will sit in the background again - especially down a division?  I think he would do ok for us as a first choice left back if necessary, but Olsson  is the man in possession.   If we could keep them both, we will be well covered in that department - especially as Whittaker can also play there.   But I wouldn''t be surprised to see either of Olsson or Garrido going.  But we would miss it badly if they both went.

[/quote]But you could keep going forever round in circles with that thought -train Lake.  Presumably if Olsson is sold, then we''ll have to buy a replacement LB. So would then there not be a risk that Garrido would resent playing second fiddle to him ?  Or, if Garrido is then considered to be the man in posession, then would AN Other be prepared to come in as understudy ? It looks to me that NA is intent on building a squad without any big time charlies, which , for a club like Norwich would be an easy trap to fall into at Champ level. I''m not saying that Olsson is such, but you cannot really blame him if he wants to stay in PL football, if he''s good enough, which he is. ?

Maybe that bloke linked the other day on here would be prepared to be our no. 2 left back and Garrido will be promoted to 1st choice again. Hopefully Olsson either stays or goes for big money for us to use on sorting out the centre back situation.

With the reality that some of our squad from last season will feel they are Prem players, justified or not, I was wondering whether our players have totally autonomous contracts or are they similar to each others but with one or two adjustments such as length.

I wonder, as contracts are so complicated these days, who has the power,

If WBA, no disrespect to their fans, but on a par with us, came for Ollsson, how much authority doesthe club have.

Can they just say No, end of or do the players have clauses that allow them to talk to other clubs if approached?