Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

How much has changed since last year?

Looking at the squad and the areas we need to improve, have things really changed too much? We needed a target-man with a goal-threat at the start of last season and brought in Elmander (ahem). We needed another centre-back to provide competition/cover to the likes of Bassong, Turner and Bennett, and for me this was a position we failed to fill- I know we tried to sign Alderweireld, but didn''t appear to have a backup. Yobo was half-decent but according to recent reports was a bit half-arsed. I still feel we could do with one more centre-back, although its possible that Neil will look to the youth team to fill this gap in the Championship, if we keep hold of the 3 aforementioned centre-backs. Finally and perhaps most crucially we needed to sign a quality number 10 to link the play between midfield and the strikers. I think this was one of the key reasons for our relegation, as the forward(s) were constantly left isolated, having to feed on scraps. Nobody we tried there looked likely to consistently produce in that role, and I include Hoolahan in that, much as I like him as a player. I imagine that we will play a different system this year, which might make the number 10 less crucial, but if we do manage to return to the Prem at the first time of asking it is a position that we will need to fill, and it must be with filled with a quality player.

Totally agree with the link between midfield and strikers but not necessarily a number 10 type player, especially in the championship as I don''t know if theres enough quality in the championship for such a player and can become passengers, I suppose Hoolahan is probably the closest to a number 10 to be successful in the champ!! Leicester and Burnley last year both played predominately 4-4-2 or teams like Derby with 3 central midfielders. Last season I think we were crying out for an out and out number 10 who could take the ball in tight situations and create something and would have fitted in with Hughton''s ''style'' or lack of it maybe!!

What I really think we are missing though is a goal threat from midfield!! Someone who will score 10+ goals next season, breaking from midfield. Someone in the mould of Lampard, maybe not the best technically or going to play defence splitting passes all game but will be box to box and a presence arriving late and bag 10+ goals a season. I cant see any of our current midfielders or wide players giving us a goal threat and that is what we really lack!! Someone like Bryson for derby 16 last season!! If we could get someone in that mould who also is prepared to mix it and works hard for the team that would really add another dimension to our attacking threat.

[quote user="Foreveryella"]Totally agree with the link between midfield and strikers but not necessarily a number 10 type player, especially in the championship as I don''t know if theres enough quality in the championship for such a player and can become passengers, I suppose Hoolahan is probably the closest to a number 10 to be successful in the champ!! Leicester and Burnley last year both played predominately 4-4-2 or teams like Derby with 3 central midfielders. Last season I think we were crying out for an out and out number 10 who could take the ball in tight situations and create something and would have fitted in with Hughton''s ''style'' or lack of it maybe!!

What I really think we are missing though is a goal threat from midfield!! Someone who will score 10+ goals next season, breaking from midfield. Someone in the mould of Lampard, maybe not the best technically or going to play defence splitting passes all game but will be box to box and a presence arriving late and bag 10+ goals a season. I cant see any of our current midfielders or wide players giving us a goal threat and that is what we really lack!! Someone like Bryson for derby 16 last season!! If we could get someone in that mould who also is prepared to mix it and works hard for the team that would really add another dimension to our attacking threat.[/quote]Fer, Howson, Hoolahan and Pilkington have all got a goal in them.Elliot Bennet too, for that matter.

Yes, all a goal in them but out of them who has consistently got 10+ a season?

Pilks has something like 15 in 3 seasons, granted in the prem, so if fit and has right mentality should be a much bigger threat this season if still here!!

Wes has 30 odd since being with us, most his good work is done outside of the box.

Howson!! Really? Great player, has so many qualities, goal scoring is certainly not 1 his composure in front of goal is non existent!

Fer is biggest threat but just doesn''t impose himself on games as he should, was it 3 he got last season??

And again Elliott, prolific since being here?? Off the top of my head does he have 2 or 3 goals for us, I know again in prem and missed last season but not what I would call a goal threat!!

Stats don''t lie, I still think we need a greater goal threat from midfield. Genuinely think with player slike Redmond, pilks, Bennett, wes, murphy, fer we will create loads of chances this year and be bombarding teams penalty areas, a midfielder who can score 10 goals will get loads of chances with us next season

[quote user="Foreveryella"]Yes, all a goal in them but out of them who has consistently got 10+ a season? Pilks has something like 15 in 3 seasons, granted in the prem, so if fit and has right mentality should be a much bigger threat this season if still here!! Wes has 30 odd since being with us, most his good work is done outside of the box. Howson!! Really? Great player, has so many qualities, goal scoring is certainly not 1 his composure in front of goal is non existent! Fer is biggest threat but just doesn''t impose himself on games as he should, was it 3 he got last season?? And again Elliott, prolific since being here?? Off the top of my head does he have 2 or 3 goals for us, I know again in prem and missed last season but not what I would call a goal threat!! Stats don''t lie, I still think we need a greater goal threat from midfield. Genuinely think with player slike Redmond, pilks, Bennett, wes, murphy, fer we will create loads of chances this year and be bombarding teams penalty areas, a midfielder who can score 10 goals will get loads of chances with us next season[/quote]

When given a more attacking role at Leeds the season before he moved to Norwich Howson got 10 goals in the Championship.

If given the permission to get forward he is a big goal threat, just has been stifled for a lot of his Norwich career. I think Adams will go for a style that has a solid midfield, but no real ''Number 10''. Will be a lot of attacking from the wings with midfielders allowed to get into the box in support. He might consider Redmond as someone to play just off the main striker like he did against Chelsea and Lafferty has often played off another main striker in his career.

Will be interesting to see how Norwich line up come the beginning of the season - but in reality we have little clue what he will do as there is no track record with him anywhere. Some point to his U18 squad, but with the Murphy twins he''d have been a idiot to not play the system he did, whether than is what he considers his ''style'' is impossible to know.

I''m sure Norwich are far from done in the transfer window, so a ''No 10'' might be brought in, but have a feeling most of the new players will be more ''industrious'' than skillful.

[quote user="Foreveryella"]Yes, all a goal in them but out of them who has consistently got 10+ a season?

Pilks has something like 15 in 3 seasons, granted in the prem, so if fit and has right mentality should be a much bigger threat this season if still here!!

Wes has 30 odd since being with us, most his good work is done outside of the box.

Howson!! Really?
Great player, has so many qualities, goal scoring is certainly not 1 his composure in front of goal is non existent!

Fer is biggest threat but just doesn''t impose himself on games as he should, was it 3 he got last season??

And again Elliott, prolific since being here?? Off the top of my head does he have 2 or 3 goals for us, I know again in prem and missed last season but not what I would call a goal threat!!

Stats don''t lie, I still think we need a greater goal threat from midfield. Genuinely think with player slike Redmond, pilks, Bennett, wes, murphy, fer we will create loads of chances this year and be bombarding teams penalty areas, a midfielder who can score 10 goals will get loads of chances with us next season[/quote]Yes, really.

err, there''s another two months to goshouldn''t we worry then ?