Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Last time we were promoted.....

When we were promoted to the championship from L1 the expectations were not that high.  Consolidation was talked about - and that worked because the team were able to find a level, gradually improve and ultimately get promotion.  So why is this season coming up so different from 2010?  Why do people say we have to be promoted?   Because we were relegated?   But why does that make it so different?  

If we treat this season the same as the last time we were in the championship, ie not expect too much, it could make the season more enjoyable and still lead to promotion.    We were happy in 2010  just to  compete and not put too much expectation on the team - and we were rewarded with a fantastic season and promotion.   So why have our expectations changed?  Just because we were relegated?   Because we have more money?   Money doesn''t guarantee anything. 

Now please don''t say because I am not saying we don''t have to expect promotion that I don''t want it - of course I want us to be promoted.  I would just like to know reasons why the expectation is so high this season as opposed to 2010 - which was a successful season after all.   A repeat of that would be a joy to behold - but at the time, we didn''t expect it..........

Oh dear god, this on a whole new level of stupid.

Why is it different this time? What do you think expectations are based on LDC? Primarily in football now, it''s a combination of recent history and finances.

Our recent history dictates we''ve been in the Premiership for the last 3 seasons. Now, LDC - this may come as a shock to you - the Premiership is a league above the Championship. We''ve been relegated with a squad which realistically - only just went down. It wasn''t a record 7 point premier league season - we narrowly went down despite playing no where near to our potential. And we have most of that squad.

That, accompanied with our finances putting us in one of the best positions in the league financially - there''s obviously expectations.

And i''d argue even when were in League One the expectation was always to get promoted.

I haven''t seen much on here to suggest expectations are high across the fans. Some think we should be at the top end squad wise and looking at it coldly we should be, most of us still recognise football snt so straight forward and it''s going to be a lot about character and winning mentality something that was lacking last season. I''m personally under no illusions that the championship is going to be very difficult and we are one of the big teams this first year to be shot at, however imo there''s still plenty to be confident about at the momment.

Why not wait tell the season starts and see what happens...now go out side and get some fresh air

[quote user="Leedscanary"]When does Tilly''s bet kick in? FFS[/quote]

[:D]

ASAP. Please let it be ASAP.

[quote user="tracker"]Why not wait tell the season starts and see what happens...now go out side and get some fresh air[/quote]

Don''t worry, you won''t see me any more today.  Just thought I''d pose the question again and see if I could get one or two people on here to actually think about things a bit more, instead of their constant diatribe of  "Norwich expects".   I get annoyed at the level of expectation being heaped on the players by some on here -  maybe they could do with getting out a bit more.........

[quote user="tracker"]Why not wait tell the season starts and see what happens...now go out side and get some fresh air[/quote]Pretty much what I was saying the other day tracker. I know the usual suspects had a pop, but, surely it makes common sense just to wait and see what the squad is looking like before we start going into the minutae of what''s desired +expected.But Lake, why cannot you get it into your skull that the the word ''expectation'' has a much wider definition and usage than the narrow one you are fixated about to follow your narrow agenda.?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="tracker"]Why not wait tell the season starts and see what happens...now go out side and get some fresh air[/quote]

Don''t worry, you won''t see me any more today.  Just thought I''d pose the question again and see if I could get one or two people on here to actually think about things a bit more, instead of their constant diatribe of  "Norwich expects".   I get annoyed at the level of expectation being heaped on the players by some on here -  maybe they could do with getting out a bit more.........

[/quote]

Why do you constantly try to change people''s opinions when they differ from your own by posting threads with leading questions?

It''s just the same as trying to ask a Christian to think about his faith a little more and change his religion to say Hinduism!

[quote user="Herman "]

[/quote]

Looks like August 10th cannot come quick enough for some Lakey. [:P]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Herman "]

[/quote]

[/quote]Whats this bet thing about? I must have missed it.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Herman "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Whats this bet thing about? I must have missed it.
[/quote]

I promised £5 to the PUPs for every month during the season that Lakey did not start one of his stupid threads. August to May would be £50 and Lakey accepted the challenge !

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="morty"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Herman "]

[/quote]

[/quote]Whats this bet thing about? I must have missed it.[/quote]

I promised £5 to the PUPs for every month during the season that Lakey did not start one of his stupid threads. August to May would be £50 and Lakey accepted the challenge !

[/quote]Admirable, but I doubt he''ll stick to it!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="morty"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Herman "]

[/quote]

[/quote]Whats this bet thing about? I must have missed it.[/quote]

[/quote]Admirable, but I doubt he''ll stick to it![/quote]

Lakey won''t stick to it because he doesn''t believe all his threads are stupid!

He will then post yet another leading question thread when people start to question his opinion and try to change others opinions.

And the wheels keep on turning!

i think we will do well under adams and royle to be anywhere near the top 8wolves, forest, derby, cardiff, fulham, reading, wigan, bolton, brighton, leeds......hardly places we are likely to pick up too many points and will all be fighting for a top ten spot

[quote user="iron_stan"]i think we will do well under adams and royle to be anywhere near the top 8

wolves, forest, derby, cardiff, fulham, reading, wigan, bolton, brighton, leeds......

hardly places we are likely to pick up too many points and will all be fighting for a top ten spot
[/quote]

Apart from the clubs who came down with us I would rather hope that the rest are more worried about playing us than the other way round.

I seem to recall McNally very firmly saying that ''consolidation wasn''t a consideration'' back then and nor should it be now, IMO. I also think that everybody should realise how difficult winning promotion is going to be, but that''s all the more reason to go for it from the start.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="iron_stan"]i think we will do well under adams and royle to be anywhere near the top 8wolves, forest, derby, cardiff, fulham, reading, wigan, bolton, brighton, leeds......hardly places we are likely to pick up too many points and will all be fighting for a top ten spot[/quote]

Apart from the clubs who came down with us I would rather hope that the rest are more worried about playing us than the other way round.

[/quote]whilst id also like to hope that you have to remember they arent small clubs, its a more competitive division than the premier league and we are going into it with one of the least experienced managersi just suspect most of these clubs are a little bit more prepared in regards to the type of players they have, you can have better ability, technique etc but when youre getting kicked from pillar to post on a freezing december wednesday night at the reebok that soon goes out the window

[quote user="lharman7"]

Lakey won''t stick to it because he doesn''t believe all his threads are stupid!

He will then post yet another leading question thread when people start to question his opinion and try to change others opinions.

And the wheels keep on turning![/quote]That''s the problem, surely? Who is the arbiter of which of Lake''s threads are ''stupid''.Otherwise, it''s pretty straightforward. If you don''t like what a poster posts, just don''t read it. Still less respond to it with childish insults ?

[quote user="iron_stan"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="iron_stan"]i think we will do well under adams and royle to be anywhere near the top 8wolves, forest, derby, cardiff, fulham, reading, wigan, bolton, brighton, leeds......hardly places we are likely to pick up too many points and will all be fighting for a top ten spot[/quote]

[/quote]whilst id also like to hope that you have to remember they arent small clubs, its a more competitive division than the premier league and we are going into it with one of the least experienced managersi just suspect most of these clubs are a little bit more prepared in regards to the type of players they have, you can have better ability, technique etc but when youre getting kicked from pillar to post on a freezing december wednesday night at the reebok that soon goes out the window[/quote]That''s a fair point - but I think the signing of Lafferty shows that Adams realises there will be a need to ''get nasty'' sometimes to get results. Attractive, attacking football doesn''t have to mean tiki-taka - when we won the Championship in 2004 we were good to watch but not one-dimensional. We could use long balls to Iwan for knock-downs, getting the ball wide to Hucks and let him run at people, a tough closing game in midfield (Holt and Francis), and a fair amount of patient passing too. I don''t think Adams is daft enough to think that he can win the Championship with an all-out-attack pass-and-move style and high pressing all the time.

lharman7 wrote:

Lakey won''t stick to it because he doesn''t believe all his threads are stupid! He will then post yet another leading question thread when people start to question his opinion and try to change others opinions. And the wheels keep on turning!

That''s the problem, surely? Who is the arbiter of which of Lake''s threads are ''stupid''.

Otherwise, it''s pretty straightforward. If you don''t like what a poster posts, just don''t read it. Still less respond to it with childish insults ?

I would say a high percentage of posters would think Lakey''s threads are stupid, annoying and quite troll like.

Some posters just can''t help themselves but respond to them.

I would admit (and I''m not ashamed) to respond with insults from time to time but only to those who i deem worthy recipients.

[quote user="lharman7"]That''s the problem, surely? Who is the arbiter of which of Lake''s threads are ''stupid''.

Otherwise, it''s pretty straightforward. If you don''t like what a poster posts, just don''t read it. Still less respond to it with childish insults ?

I would say a high percentage of posters would think Lakey''s threads are stupid, annoying and quite troll like.

Some posters just can''t help themselves but respond to them.

I would admit (and I''m not ashamed) to respond with insults from time to time but only to those who i deem worthy recipients.[/quote]I''d agree with that up to a point, LH. Lake is perfectly entitled, in my eyes at least, to post on here about whatever subject he pleases. You''ve still not really answered the point as to who actually decides on the level of ''stupidity'' of each one.I too have levelled insults at him when I''ve felt it necessary. So have you, but what is different in your case ,to the insults used by one or two others is that they are often witty and well thought out, whereas theirs are merely single word slang expressions of various bodily sexual parts. Not clever, not funny, and not terribly effective .

[quote user="morty"]Lol, cock.
[/quote]

Thanks for that Morty as I was wondering what Reggie was on about when he mentioned insults as I was struggling to find one on this thread. To me he seemed to think saying Lakey''s threads were stupid was an insult but he then goes on to say that he himself has insulted him from time to time but he deserved it !

Lakey has a long history of posting hypothetical threads asking for hypothetical views to the hypothetical questions that he posed in his hypothetical scenarios.

To me that is stupid. My opinion and I am entitled to it and I notice that I am not the only one by a long chalk.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Lakey has a long history of posting hypothetical threads asking for hypothetical views to the hypothetical questions that he posed in his hypothetical scenarios.

To me that is stupid. My opinion and I am entitled to it and I notice that I am not the only one by a long chalk.

[/quote]Don''t get me wrong, Tilly. I find some of the more bizarre of LDC''s threads as stupid as the next man, but I''m just not sure how it''s going to be decided whether the stupidity quotient is going to be sufficient to kick in and trigger payments from your admittedly very generous fund.Re insults...called me old fashioned if you like, but ,to me, an insult should require a little thought , as opposed to the tedious repetition of body parts favoured by some on here ?

Reggie dear old Lakey does not have to start a ''stupid'' thread during the season as any old thread will do. As we all know during the season Lakey starts threads for about 3 or 4 days after a game before turning his attention to the next game in the coming up 3 or 4 days. As Morty said he will not be able to help himself. [;)]