Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Kyle Lafferty To Sign

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]I think everyone needs to relax a bit, I don''t believe he''s coming in to be a prominent player, but more as a replacement fourth choice for the likely-leaving Becchio. [/quote]

Can''t see it like that.

If he''s coming it''ll be to be a first team regular or near enough.

[/quote]why?

I just think for this season we should be really going for it. The defeatist and realist attitude can come next summer if we''re still down. Our youngsters will then have had a good years bedding in period where we''ve sorted the wheat from the chaff and they can step up to the plate. The players desperate for PL football can then go find it then.

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]I think everyone needs to relax a bit, I don''t believe he''s coming in to be a prominent player, but more as a replacement fourth choice for the likely-leaving Becchio.

[/quote]

Can''t see it like that.

If he''s coming it''ll be to be a first team regular or near enough.

[/quote]

why?
[/quote]

Do you think someone who has already played 300 games for club and country and is approaching the peak years of his career wants to come to a club where he''ll have 3 or 4 players ahead of him?

The whereabouts of RVW come August is anybody''s guess, and the same probably applies to Hooper.

These two plus the newbies and Loza would be a very good strike-force to enter the new season with IMO. Hopefully they will not be fed a diet similar to that concocted by Hughton and which inevitably led to striker malnutrition. 

There is enough variety there for all the nuances of the Championship, and it must also be recognised that there are a lot more games next season and many of the extras are in mid-week, some tough away trips. Games come thicker and faster.

We need to be well stacked up with strikers to combat the varied demands of the second tier and also to be able to cope with injuries without denting our prospects overmuch.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I just think for this season we should be really going for it. The defeatist and realist attitude can come next summer if we''re still down. Our youngsters will then have had a good years bedding in period where we''ve sorted the wheat from the chaff and they can step up to the plate. The players desperate for PL football can then go find it then.[/quote]

Not having an arrogant attitude doesn''t mean you''re defeatist. We have seen time and time again in previous years that when teams come down from the Premiership with an arrogant attitude where they believe they have he right to just turn up to win the league, will get a rocket up a certain place. The league is so competitive and you will be there to be shot at.

Yes, but the great increase in parachute payments combined with the introduction of the FFP rulings mean that the balance is now much more tipped in the favour of the relegated sides.

Past statistics will count for less and less.

We can afford to splash out a bit, whilst many of our rivals are restricted in their expenditure by the confines of their income as defined by FFP.

It is no co-incidence that the three most notable spenders so far have been Cardiff, us and Fulham.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Likewise when it comes to player retention, we can afford to keep hold of our players.[/quote]

Whilst Blackburn have to consider unloading their biggest earner and most obvious source of income, Jordan Rhodes.

You are correct, we have to go all-out to be up there this coming season because our best chance of returning to the PL will be presented to us in the next twelve months.

After that it becomes a little bit harder.  

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Yes, but the great increase in parachute payments combined with the introduction of the FFP rulings mean that the balance is now much more tipped in the favour of the relegated sides.

Past statistics will count for less and less.

We can afford to splash out a bit, whilst many of our rivals are restricted in their expenditure by the confines of their income as defined by FFP.

It is no co-incidence that the three most notable spenders so far have been Cardiff, us and Fulham.

[/quote]I made the same point a couple of weeks ago when the one in four ratio for clubs getting promoted straight back was quoted. That ratio is now likely to start changing in favour of the three clubs coming down. And there are two particular factors potentially helping us - the lack of external (and quite possibly internal) debt, and having relegation wage clauses.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

You are correct, we have to go all-out to be up there this coming season because our best chance of returning to the PL will be presented to us in the next twelve months.

After that it becomes a little bit harder.  

[/quote]I think you are right on that Broadstairs. And the point you made earlier about the games coming thicker and faster. We have eight more games to negociate next season.A little oversimplified, but, in an ideal world,the nub of this debate is whether to a) stick with the guys who underperformed in the PL last season, and find out if the Champ is more to their liking. Or b) buy in tried and tested lower PL or Champ operators. Or c) go for young hungry people from the lower leagues, as per Lambert.. Or  d) get some foreigners in.I suppose Grabban would qualify as a b) . So it will be interesting to see if Adams sticks with that plan, or mixes it about a bit . How do you see it ?

"I''d fly over 1p5wich tomorrow..."]If you have the arrogant attitude that we will walk the league, you will be in for a very nasty shock.

On the bright side, I see Fulham are to sign Australian Adam Taggart, so things could be worse.

Have you seen Taggart play then?

He''s been banging goals in since his move away from Perth Glory.

In a league where Emile Heskey is one of the best strikers...

Wouldn''t say Heskey is one of the best. Alessandro Del Piero is another matter. David Villa doing a stint in Australia later this year too!

The A-League in general is pretty poor but it does showcase a few decent players!

Again, have you seen Taggart play?

Reggie, we have to go with our best chance. We have some very talented players and if their minds are right, they will be too much for this league, that''s a big if though. We also have some tried and tested Champ operators and indeed have brought one more in (maybe two, not sure where Lafferty fits into that). I think the lower leagues thing is one for another season, more of a plan C to our plan A and B while we still have some real proven quality players. You miss out E) bring our own lads through, I don''t predict there will be radical introduction of youngsters but fully expect Rudd, Josh Murphy and Loza to feature quite regularly in the league or cups and a few more to make their debuts and see what happens. As for D) I wouldn''t think it''ll be done until we''ve got our squad covered and it''ll then only be done if it''s worth the gamble for that extra bit of unpredictability they could offer. Same as loaning the best prem youngsters.

Yes, Jim, in fairness I perhaps did miss out your e) option, though I kind of took it as read that these youngsters will be blooded as and when fit over the season. My opinion is that  to go with them wholesale from the start is asking for trouble, (though I recognise that is not what you are advocating !) . Personally, I would like to see a few lower league hopefuls brought in too . Aged in the mid 20''s this kind of player has proved he can do a job for a club like Norwich before. The new Grant Holt , anyone ?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Yes, Jim, in fairness I perhaps did miss out your e) option, though I kind of took it as read that these youngsters will be blooded as and when fit over the season. My opinion is that  to go with them wholesale from the start is asking for trouble, (though I recognise that is not what you are advocating !) . Personally, I would like to see a few lower league hopefuls brought in too . Aged in the mid 20''s this kind of player has proved he can do a job for a club like Norwich before. , The new Grant Holt anyone ?
[/quote]

Getting back to the thread...

I think Lafferty could be the new Grant Holt. Journeyman striker although still only mid 20s, obviously a skilled player although a little unfashionable and has scored goals no matter where he has played. Also, crucially like Holt, he''s a bit of a tw@t on the pitch.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Also, crucially like Holt, he''s a bit of a tw@t on the pitch.

[/quote]

Lol.  Apparently off it too. 

Find the confirmation he is leaving Palermo interesting,  suggesting that they did not want him.   Do many clubs sell their top scorer when getting promoted?    Anything more behind this?

I stand by my view;  he has the potential to be a bargain but

Have seen it said we are paying 6 million Euros for Lafferty if thats correct that makes him one hell of an expensive journeyman .Anything over a million and i think we have been well and truly done . Grant Holt used to bang them in for fun in the lower leagues not at all sure Lafferty would even at that level , just have to hope hes knocking balls down for Hooper and not Grabban . A Lafferty , Grabban strikeforce would hardly inspire any promotion ambitions .

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Also, crucially like Holt, he''s a bit of a tw@t on the pitch.

[/quote]

Lol.  Apparently off it too. 

Find the confirmation he is leaving Palermo interesting,  suggesting that they did not want him.   Do many clubs sell their top scorer when getting promoted?    Anything more behind this?

I stand by my view;  he has the potential to be a bargain but

[/quote]

Wasn''t their top scorer, that was Hernandez.

Apparently Palermo are selling because Lafferty is co-owned by FC Sion still - Serie A is banning co-ownership so Palermo would have to buy the rest of the his ownership and are unwilling. Lafferty was brought into Palermo by Gattuso, who played with him at Sion but he never saw out the season as manager at Palermo.

To be fair BYG,, I had wondered the same thing, but I do not in all honesty know enough about Lafferty to pass comment. Histort shows that if you do that, thee are people on here only to keen to take the p*ss and jump down your throat.I suppose the truth is that , Burnley, Rangers and Palermo are a cut above the sort of outfits where GH has plied his tried before he came to us, but I certainly take the point you are making. My view is that a target man is essential , if for no other reason to mix the tactics up a bit.

[quote user="Cheap Cheap Canaries"]Have seen it said we are paying 6 million Euros for Lafferty if thats correct that makes him one hell of an expensive journeyman .Anything over a million and i think we have been well and truly done . Grant Holt used to bang them in for fun in the lower leagues not at all sure Lafferty would even at that level , just have to hope hes knocking balls down for Hooper and not Grabban . A Lafferty , Grabban strikeforce would hardly inspire any promotion ambitions .[/quote]With the pound at a five-year high buying from eurozone countries make sense! Even if €6m is correct (which is a question) it only converts to £4.8m. Given that Grabban, with less of a track record, had a £3m release clause then I wouldn''t be surprised if we had to pay more than that figure for Lafferty.

At the end of the day, this league will require having a big man up top at times- Leicester, Burnley and QPR each had one in their ranks this past season and Lafferty may well be a prudent option.

There''s an allegedly ''exclusive'' quote from his agent on some muddled foreign news site saying that it''s a done deal waiting to be announced, so I guess it shouldn''t be long if true.

And anyway, he''s always been a cracking targetman on FIFA 14 ;)

Apparently Palermo are selling because Lafferty is co-owned by FC Sion still - Serie A is banning co-ownership so Palermo would have to buy the rest of the his ownership and are unwilling. Lafferty was brought into Palermo by Gattuso, who played with him at Sion but he never saw out the season as manager at Palermo.

[/quote]

A couple of good encouraging reasons then

Seems like lafferty has good potential. He was highly rated as a youngster though still waiting for him to fulfill this. Is capable of scoring decent goals though, as the below clip shows. Wouldn''t be surprised if old "noteamean" has had some input...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOBTMM6Sanc&sns=em

I would be happy with:

Grabban

Target man (Lafferty?)

Another striker (Rhodes??)

Hooper

with the two youngsters Loza and Morris.

We could then try to offload Becchio and send Wolf on loan.

Not nearly good enough for a promotion push. [:@]

[quote user="Wiz"] Not nearly good enough for a promotion push. [:@][/quote]

Didn''t realise you were such a fan of the Swiss Super League and Serie B. You''ve obviously seen a lot of FC Sion and Palermo to be able to make such a confident call before he has even signed for Norwich.

[quote user="Wiz"] Not nearly good enough for a promotion push. [:@][/quote]

Didn''t realise you were such a fan of the Swiss Super League and Serie B. You''ve obviously seen a lot of FC Sion and Palermo to be able to make such a confident call before he has even signed for Norwich.

[/quote]

I''m not the only one on here saying this, so go question them, but no, that doesn''t suit your point scoring agenda does it?[:|]

[quote user="The Butler"]Have we actualy signed him yet?[/quote]

Apparently he is with the new technical director in brazil and we will announce both signings once the world cup has finished;   its our new way of dealing with announcements,  sign them and do a batch announcement...