Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Its just like watching... Greece

Watching Costa Rica v Greece (well only for the next few minutes) struck me how similar it is watching Greece as it was to watching us last season. Deep defensive line, inverted wingers, lone striker isolated and generally very little effective football. Anyone else have the same thought? I dont think its going to be effective for them in this tournament like it was in 2004

I think people are a little harsh on this Greece side. Yes, they are defensive but this side is far more technically proficient than their Euro 2004 side, where their most technical player was probably the (underrated) Karagounis. I would go so far as to suggest that every single player in the current Greece line-up is technically better than the team that started in Euro 2004. 

Also, the Greek full-backs are insanely attacking, particularly their left-back Holebas who often adopts very high positions that are more where you would expect a left-midfielder to play.

Greece are indeed similar to us in tactics and ambition and are the parasites of tournament football living off others scraps.

I agree Mr Fry, that their full backs are dynamic and if you remember, under Hughton, ours were expected to beas well. That was one of Hughton''s main tactics and why we had inverted wingers.

Unfortunately, only Ollsson came close to international class even though our two who vied for right back both currently are international players.

I think all this is harsh on Greece. Halfway through the second half they had 16 shots, 8 on target and should have scored in the first half. At that point, Costa Rica had 4 shots, none on target. As Simon & Garfunkel sang, "people see what they want to see and disregard the rest". Greece were the better team by far on the night.