Sign in to follow this  
bloodwagon

Looks like snoddys going

Whilst this deal seems to make good business sense (without knowing the actual structure of the deal) and the fans seem happy with it which is good, what really worries me is the lack of confidence in Norwich to use it as a platform to move forward based on recent history. My fear is they''ll trouser the cash and even if they do actually bring a replacement in it''ll be some cheap Lg1 hopefully and we''ll all be gutted.

Realism is that you will not attract 5m + players to the Champ, so any buys are realistically going to be sub this figure and will tend to be current champ players or players coming through the leagues. The day of tempting players from above league is getting more difficult simply because of salaries.

Can imagine we will try to sign squad players from PL and then top it up with loans and cream off best from champ and L1 to go with retaining a core here.

Not lack of ambition, just a reality of our position....

We are more than fine on the wings with Pilkington, Redmond, Benno, and the murphy twins. that''s more depth and skill than most in the championship. the money needs to be (and should be) put in to a CB and a player to fit the "hole"

We are more than fine on the wings with Pilkington, Redmond, Benno, and the murphy twins. that''s more depth and skill than most in the championship. the money needs to be (and should be) put in to a CB and a player to fit the "hole"

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^

Plus,

Talks of a fee between 6-8m for a winger who has no pace, cant beat his man, and cant take a corner, who is in his last year of his contract is an amazing bit of business from Mcnally!!

Javier''s post is spot on there, if there''s anywhere that we have a gulf of talent in this league it''s in the wide positions - I love snoddy but if it''s right for him and the club then so be it.

It''s hardly losing the heart of the team... We never had one!! For Adams it''s about having the right pieces to assemble a new heart.

[quote user="scoop"]...what really worries me is the lack of confidence in Norwich to use it as a platform to move forward based on recent history....[/quote]

This has a lot to do with Hughton''s reign. During the Lambert era, we rarely saw players moving without the clubs consent and willingness to sell.

The willingness to sell Snoddy now is to me an acknowledgement from the club that:

a) Its a good piece of business

b) Wont keep an unhappy moaner at the club

c) Snoddy slows the game down and is not effective enough (reducing value of other expensively bought players (Fer, RvW) )

d) Keeping him will hamper progress of our promising youngsters

By replacement I mean replacement regular 1st team player, not necessarily a winger.

It could be any position that strengthens the team as a whole (CB as mentioned) to maintain our overall strength and potential rather than watch it ebb away.

I think its a brill bit of business, 7-8 mill for Snoddy wow every day. We still have the twins, we seen how good there coming on.Yep i think we are going the right way here. Roll on the seasons start.

I was at the second game of last season - the dreadful performance away at Hull. For me it summed up the two sides to Snoddy. He came on at half-time and really gave full commitment when some of the other players were clearly not putting a shift in. But he did, on several occasions, slow the play down and allow Hull (who were down to ten men) to get back into defensive positions. His final ball that day was poor. We never looked like breaking them down. Snoddy got quite a bit of abuse from the home fans that day (Leeds connection). I will be sad to see him go but as other have said we have other decent wingers - we just need to keep hold of them. He is likely to be in another relegation battle next season but the lure of the PL is strong.

He will score a few, he will frustrate the Hull fans, he will possibly even win player of the season, but Hull will struggle if he is their dominant player.  They may well have Livermore and Huddlestone and decent strikers - but if he doesn''t give them the ball...................

[quote user="lake district canary"]He will score a few, he will frustrate the Hull fans, he will possibly even win player of the season, but Hull will struggle if he is their dominant player.  They may well have Livermore and Huddlestone and decent strikers - but if he doesn''t give them the ball...................[/quote]Yeah! That Steve Bruce, what does he know about football? [^o)]I bet he''s never watched a stream in his life. [:@]

Snodgrass always tried his best and gave it a go every game. It''s good business for the club and a good move for the player. I wish him well, thank him for his efforts whilst wearing our shirt and now we move on.

Pleased with the price. He does have a cracking left foot but I will not miss his theatrics, more specifically his decision making in choosing to dive (and not even get a free kick) when he could play on. Redmond has more potential IMO if he can improve his end product

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]He will score a few, he will frustrate the Hull fans, he will possibly even win player of the season, but Hull will struggle if he is their dominant player.  They may well have Livermore and Huddlestone and decent strikers - but if he doesn''t give them the ball...................[/quote]Yeah! That Steve Bruce, what does he know about football? [^o)]I bet he''s never watched a stream in his life. [:@][/quote]

Football is about opinions - so how come you never give an opinion of your own?    I guarantee I''ve seen more of Snodgrass than Bruce has - either live or on a stream - and so have most Norwich supporters.    Time will tell how good he is when we see him next season at Hull, as they try to fight off relegation.....

[quote user="lake district canary"]I guarantee I''ve seen more of Snodgrass than Bruce has - either live or on a stream[/quote]It''s not about how many times you''ve seen him, it''s about understanding what you''re seeing.......

£8 million for a player with only a year left on his contract is silly money. Like his effort and think we would be a better team with him, but if he won''t sign a new contract then we''d be mad to turn that down.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]I guarantee I''ve seen more of Snodgrass than Bruce has - either live or on a stream[/quote]It''s not about how many times you''ve seen him, it''s about understanding what you''re seeing.......

[/quote]

The full quote was -   "I guarantee I''ve seen more of Snodgrass than Bruce has - either live or on a stream - and so have most Norwich supporters"I understand plenty - as do plenty of  our supporters - that Snodgrass is a mixed bag of a player, sometimes good but quite often not good.  Leeds fans said the same when he came here - he can be very frustrating to watch.    It ain''t rocket science - you just have to use your eyes and think about what you see.  Maybe you should try it?

Very sad as he is a player i love and would have done great for us but he deserves PL football and we cannot risk him going for nothing , it is a good fee but is typical of what happens to relegated clubs

8m with 1 year left, he is only a 4-5m player even if he had 4 years. mcnally is a genius, but does leave us with a position to fill, still think we need another winger as i expect pilks to be off.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]He will score a few, he will frustrate the Hull fans, he will possibly even win player of the season, but Hull will struggle if he is their dominant player.  They may well have Livermore and Huddlestone and decent strikers - but if he doesn''t give them the ball...................[/quote]Yeah! That Steve Bruce, what does he know about football? [^o)]I bet he''s never watched a stream in his life. [:@][/quote]

Football is about opinions - so how come you never give an opinion of your own?    I guarantee I''ve seen more of Snodgrass than Bruce has - either live or on a stream - and so have most Norwich supporters.    Time will tell how good he is when we see him next season at Hull, as they try to fight off relegation.....

[/quote]he does actually have a point there lapps

I may be in the minority here but I couldn''t care less Snoddy has gone , we were far too one dimensional with him at the expense of genuine pace and attacking threat so honestly ? I believe we will look back at this as a good thing not to mention the 7 million .

Latest updates on Sky is that he has passed his medical!

Disagree with you slightly cat, as I think money would be better spent in defense and maybe an AM rather than a winger! as we have Pliks, Benno and the twins!

[quote user="lake district canary"]I understand plenty - as do plenty of  our supporters - that Snodgrass is a mixed bag of a player, sometimes good but quite often not good.  Leeds fans said the same when he came here - he can be very frustrating to watch.    It ain''t rocket science - you just have to use your eyes and think about what you see.  Maybe you should try it?[/quote]As I said to you on another thread a few days ago (which you ignored)......Lambert wanted him, Hughton bought him, Adams and Royle wanted to keep him, Strachan likes him, Bruce has paid £8m for him....But Lake District Canary knows better!I give up! [:''(] [:''(] [:''(]

[quote user="im spartacus"]he does actually have a point there lapps[/quote]I''ve always rated Snoddy and often said so Sparto. [;)]

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]wonderful committed player. everyone has his price but we would miss him so much and Leeds are sure to have a sell on clause. It make s me sick to think we are being financially bullied by Hull so avoidable[/quote]

Wow, how out of touch with reality some people are. Snodgrass played well(ish) for the last 15 or so games last year, before that he was complete pants.

£8m for him is the deal of our history.

Sad to see him go but as others have said 8 million can buy a lot of quality at this level. Benno now has goods chance to break into the side and I''m in no doubt a replacement must be in line before we''d let him go

Pretty much agree with the majority on here - would have been nice to keep him but given he''s in the last year and not wanting to renew, that sort of cash would be hard to turn down even if we''d stayed up (is Bruce helping one of his old clubs out?!).

There''s bound to be a couple of other leavers, but hopefully not too many and only the ones we are happy to go.