Sign in to follow this  
Buh

Benefits Britain - channel 5

Anyone see the scummy Ipswich family on there last night with 14 kids eating McDonald''s every night? It was on channel 5 yesterday.

The woman on there... My god! Ipswich really is a dive isn''t it!?

When they filled the babies bottle up with Coca Cola, not milk but Coca Cola and gave it to him I felt to sad for the baby and all the other kids, what a start to your life.

[quote user="Molly Windley"]When they filled the babies bottle up with Coca Cola, not milk but Coca Cola and gave it to him I felt to sad for the baby and all the other kids, what a start to your life.

[/quote]Must admit that I do not watch the programme, but what sex were these babies ? If they are male, then pound to a penny they''ll be on the ITFC ''yoof development scheme'', within the next 10 years.

I watched it.Frightening to see what is happening to to this country. The Welfare State was started with the aim of helping poor working class people. From what I can see it seems to have been complicit in destroying them rather than helping them.

[quote user="ricardo"]I watched it.

Frightening to see what is happening to to this country. The Welfare State was started with the aim of helping poor working class people. From what I can see it seems to have been complicit in destroying them rather than helping them.
[/quote]

I don''t think that is the fault of the welfare state, just successive Governments who couldn''t care less about people at the bottom of the pile. The fact they don''t vote doesn''t help their cause. This new trend of pointing and laughing at those who are most in need of help is rather worrying also.

[quote user="ricardo"]I watched it.Frightening to see what is happening to to this country. The Welfare State was started with the aim of helping poor working class people. From what I can see it seems to have been complicit in destroying them rather than helping them.[/quote]It not financial help they need but a better education.Sadly successive governments of all colours think that giving them free cash is enough.

I know it''ll never happen but there''s a case for some of these families to have forced sterilisation.

Controversial but stating ''it''s up to me how many kids I have'' is not a very well thought out comment and clearly shows a remarkable level of immaturity on her part.

These types of shows (along with Benefit''s Street) just anger people and cause problems in the long run.

That being said will social services visit the parents who are giving coca cola to a child?

Probably not!

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="ricardo"]I watched it.Frightening to see what is happening to to this country. The Welfare State was started with the aim of helping poor working class people. From what I can see it seems to have been complicit in destroying them rather than helping them.[/quote]

I don''t think that is the fault of the welfare state, just successive Governments who couldn''t care less about people at the bottom of the pile. The fact they don''t vote doesn''t help their cause. This new trend of pointing and laughing at those who are most in need of help is rather worrying also.

[/quote]When living on benefits becomes a lifestyle choice, as it obviously has for some of those depicted last night, it''s time we questioned the system. I don''t pretend to know the answer. I''m just saddened to see people with so little pride and self respect.

To be fair we have our own own equivalent here, Great Yarmouth. Both are bleak, depressing horrible places to live with very few prospects or quality of life for most of the residents that leave a massive blemish on two otherwise very nice counties!

It was on one of these programs last weeks as well I think, I couldn''t bare to watch it though, I just find it depressing

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="ricardo"]I watched it.

Frightening to see what is happening to to this country. The Welfare State was started with the aim of helping poor working class people. From what I can see it seems to have been complicit in destroying them rather than helping them.
[/quote]

[/quote]

When living on benefits becomes a lifestyle choice, as it obviously has for some of those depicted last night, it''s time we questioned the system.

I don''t pretend to know the answer. I''m just saddened to see people with so little pride and self respect.
[/quote]

No one wants that lifestyle, its just many see it as the only option they have. There is a trend for generations to live on benefits, which isn''t due to benefits existing, its more due to the lack of opportunity to escape them. The more society stigmatises those who are on benefits, the harder it will be to move people off them.

The answers are as always, the simplest ones, increase educational chances, and have a more balanced economy - both spatially and socially.

All these types of programmes do is help keep the social underclass in their place by creating a modern freak show.  Jeremy Kyle''s the same pimping the underclass out for a few crumbs off the table so the rest can take the piss.
The sad thing is many people watching are falling for it.  Blame the people on TV rather than the government and the filth at the top who stay at the top by making sure the poor are at the bottom.

[quote user="Private Frazer"]All these types of programmes do is help keep the social underclass in their place by creating a modern freak show.  Jeremy Kyle''s the same pimping the underclass out for a few crumbs off the table so the rest can take the piss.
The sad thing is many people watching are falling for it.  Blame the people on TV rather than the government and the filth at the top who stay at the top by making sure the poor are at the bottom.
[/quote]

I blame both, easier that way.

If you''re feeding your huge family at McDonald''s every day, and your income is provided by the government, then the government had WAY overestimated how much your family needs to survive. McDonald''s is far more expensive thsn groceries.

[quote user="Molly Windley"]

When they filled the babies bottle up with Coca Cola, not milk but Coca Cola and gave it to him I felt to sad for the baby and all the other kids, what a start to your life.

[/quote]

As long as its got Jack Daniels in they''ll be fine.

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]If you''re feeding your huge family at McDonald''s every day, and your income is provided by the government, then the government had WAY overestimated how much your family needs to survive. McDonald''s is far more expensive thsn groceries.[/quote]Not if you don''t have a cooker or fridge or even know how to cook a meal.Successive generations have been ignored from society and given money for nothing and this is what you end up with...a frighteningly uneducated large group of people who have not the slightest idea how to integrate into society nor any skills, social or otherwise, to offer anything to it.

"Successive generations have been ignored from society and given money for nothing and this is what you end up with...a frighteningly uneducated large group of people who have not the slightest idea how to integrate into society nor any skills, social or otherwise, to offer anything to it"

And then you put a sign outside that says "Ipswich" and you are set.

[quote user="whoareyou"][quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]If you''re feeding your huge family at McDonald''s every day, and your income is provided by the government, then the government had WAY overestimated how much your family needs to survive. McDonald''s is far more expensive thsn groceries.[/quote]Not if you don''t have a cooker or fridge or even know how to cook a meal.Successive generations have been ignored from society and given money for nothing and this is what you end up with...a frighteningly uneducated large group of people who have not the slightest idea how to integrate into society nor any skills, social or otherwise, to offer anything to it.

[/quote]If you watched the programme you would have seen that they had little trouble operating mobile phones, IPads and XBoxes. One of the girls had a job but chucked it in because she said people talked down to her. Her father who had sired 26 kids with 15 different women was moaning because his benefits had been cut to £500 quid a week. Dear oh bloody dear, what has happened to our nation.Too a small extent I agree that it''s to do with education but I think it has more to do with poverty of expectation. They seem to have accepted that a life on benefits is all they can aspire to.

[quote user="whoareyou"][quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]If you''re feeding your huge family at McDonald''s every day, and your income is provided by the government, then the government had WAY overestimated how much your family needs to survive. McDonald''s is far more expensive thsn groceries.[/quote]Not if you don''t have a cooker or fridge or even know how to cook a meal.Successive generations have been ignored from society and given money for nothing and this is what you end up with...a frighteningly uneducated large group of people who have not the slightest idea how to integrate into society nor any skills, social or otherwise, to offer anything to it.

[/quote]
I don''t think much has changed for 100s of years.  The poor gets screwed by the rich is about the size of it.
Save the fact during Victorian times kids would have been given gin, so cola is a steep forward really.

[quote user="Private Frazer"][quote user="whoareyou"][quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]If you''re feeding your huge family at McDonald''s every day, and your income is provided by the government, then the government had WAY overestimated how much your family needs to survive. McDonald''s is far more expensive thsn groceries.[/quote]Not if you don''t have a cooker or fridge or even know how to cook a meal.Successive generations have been ignored from society and given money for nothing and this is what you end up with...a frighteningly uneducated large group of people who have not the slightest idea how to integrate into society nor any skills, social or otherwise, to offer anything to it.

[/quote]
I don''t think much has changed for 100s of years.  The poor gets screwed by the rich is about the size of it.
Save the fact during Victorian times kids would have been given gin, so cola is a steep forward really.
[/quote]Some truth in that but a 100 yrs ago people wanted their kids to get educated and aim for a better life. Today it seems, not so much.If the state will pay you to be poor why would you work for the same result?

[quote user="Wizard of Waveney "]People seem to forget they live in Ipswich. This is normal behaviour for our bin dipping friends[/quote]

Perhaps we should send food parcels.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Private Frazer"][quote user="whoareyou"][quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]If you''re feeding your huge family at McDonald''s every day, and your income is provided by the government, then the government had WAY overestimated how much your family needs to survive. McDonald''s is far more expensive thsn groceries.[/quote]Not if you don''t have a cooker or fridge or even know how to cook a meal.Successive generations have been ignored from society and given money for nothing and this is what you end up with...a frighteningly uneducated large group of people who have not the slightest idea how to integrate into society nor any skills, social or otherwise, to offer anything to it.

[/quote]
[/quote]Some truth in that but a 100 yrs ago people wanted their kids to get educated and aim for a better life. Today it seems, not so much.If the state will pay you to be poor why would you work for the same result?[/quote]
What I would say is, there''s a certain amount of laziness involved.  People have always been lazy, but it''s probably more noticable now as we''re now onto the third generation (more or less) of men not having to do National Sevice.  
A modern version of that would sort a few out.

[quote user="Private Frazer"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Private Frazer"][quote user="whoareyou"][quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]If you''re feeding your huge family at McDonald''s every day, and your income is provided by the government, then the government had WAY overestimated how much your family needs to survive. McDonald''s is far more expensive thsn groceries.[/quote]Not if you don''t have a cooker or fridge or even know how to cook a meal.Successive generations have been ignored from society and given money for nothing and this is what you end up with...a frighteningly uneducated large group of people who have not the slightest idea how to integrate into society nor any skills, social or otherwise, to offer anything to it.

[/quote]
[/quote]Some truth in that but a 100 yrs ago people wanted their kids to get educated and aim for a better life. Today it seems, not so much.If the state will pay you to be poor why would you work for the same result?[/quote]
What I would say is, there''s a certain amount of laziness involved.  People have always been lazy, but it''s probably more noticable now as we''re now onto the third generation (more or less) of men not having to do National Sevice.  
A modern version of that would sort a few out.
[/quote]Now that, I agree with. Human nature being what it is you have to ask yourself why choose a more difficult path when an easier one is presented to you on a plate.I don''t know what the solution is because if you try to cut benefits you punish the innocent along with the guilty. However the status quo can''t continue for much longer and I foresee a big blow up not far down the road.

There is no acceptable excuse for people being given so much. However alienated and unenlightened they may be, they know how to make a sandwich or put milk on corn flakes. If they can afford McDonald''s daily, they can afford a fridge. Making excuses for these mopes only serves to legitimize and accept such behavior to the point they don''t feel stigmatized and therefore lose incentive to get out of the system.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="whoareyou"][quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]If you''re feeding your huge family at McDonald''s every day, and your income is provided by the government, then the government had WAY overestimated how much your family needs to survive. McDonald''s is far more expensive thsn groceries.[/quote]

Not if you don''t have a cooker or fridge or even know how to cook a meal.

Successive generations have been ignored from society and given money for nothing and this is what you end up with...a frighteningly uneducated large group of people who have not the slightest idea how to integrate into society nor any skills, social or otherwise, to offer anything to it.

[/quote]

If you watched the programme you would have seen that they had little trouble operating mobile phones, IPads and XBoxes. One of the girls had a job but chucked it in because she said people talked down to her. Her father who had sired 26 kids with 15 different women was moaning because his benefits had been cut to £500 quid a week. Dear oh bloody dear, what has happened to our nation.

Too a small extent I agree that it''s to do with education but I think it has more to do with poverty of expectation. They seem to have accepted that a life on benefits is all they can aspire to.
[/quote]

I''m aligned with your views on this Ricardo. Here in the U.S. those that are able, but unwilling, to make a living for themselves grows significantly with each passing year.

There was a story out of Detroit yesterday that 75% of the people in the inner city are not paying their water bill. However, as soon as their water supply is cut off they miraculously bring their account up to date. Overall the country is rife with people who choose to live in rundown shacks and surrounding garden space left to weeds, while those same folks have to have the largest television screens, cell phones and designer clothes. On my many trips through such areas it is common to see Cadillacs or other high priced vehicles in the driveways of such otherwise rundown living areas. If education  was the major solution to such problems then there is no shortage of opportunity. Unfortunately, it is more to do with an expectation culture increasingly being passed down from one generation to the next of "free" entitlements are out there. You just have to know how to work the system. 

The worst thing about this is that these people cynically exploit the welfare state by churning out more and more children.Anyone with a shred of decency or common sense wouldn''t consider bringing a child into the world, unless they knew they could provide for it.