Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Southampton and their money

What on earth are Southampton going to do with all their new money? They have earned about £80m so far this window (assuming the Shaw - Man U and Lallana - L''Pool deals go as planned).

Add to that the owner backing, the usual premiership pot of money as well as the prize money for their top half finish and they probably have about £100m burning a hole in their new managers pocket but probably can''t attract the calibre of player worth that sort of sum.

Might they come eyeing one or two of our lot up? Maybe Redmond or Fer to replace Lallana (depending on if you consider Lallana a winger of centre mid) Olsson to replace Shaw?

They still have a good side but what does a club in their position do? Maybe it''ll be Lovren leaving next if a £20m bid from Barca comes in?

They will have to go down the mercenary route if they want talented players as they can only tempt the world class players they need with money.

Do they do this or do they just bank the money for a rainy day and be content with lower half premiership?

Having cash is great,  using it wisely,  and making the squad better for the sale of the players, is a much tougher acheivement,  as Spurs last season who had a similar amount post-Bale,  or ourselves on a smaller scale... 

It didn''t help Spurs last season...

They had a similar £100m burning a hole and couldn''t attract enough talent. Ended up wasting £60m on Soldado and Lamela. Eriksen was the only good buy they made from that lot!

Very, very tough job for Koeman to rebuild the team after they will probably lose their best 4 players. It''s one thing having money, but another thing turning it into quality replacements - especially as everyone knows they have a small fortune in the bank.

It wouldn''t really fit into the current Southampton strategy for them to start buying players from other English clubs, they have generally gone abroad or developed their own, but it might happen. Koeman was Fer''s manager for all of a month at Feynoord before selling him for what was considered a very low price at the time, which doesn''t suggest he is a massive fan.

Very interested to see what they do come up with, a crucial summer for them - can imagine how depressing this summer must be for a Southampton fan.

Best 4? Who do you think the 4th will be? Plenty of contenders: Lovren, Wanyama, Rodriguez, Schneiderlin, Clyne?

Perhaps they''ll look to spend the money on background things like more on the youth or on increasing the club profile? They can''t really go any further short term as that top 6/7 seems inpenetrable but for the odd season.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Best 4? Who do you think the 4th will be? Plenty of contenders: Lovren, Wanyama, Rodriguez, Schneiderlin, Clyne? Perhaps they''ll look to spend the money on background things like more on the youth or on increasing the club profile? They can''t really go any further short term as that top 6/7 seems inpenetrable but for the odd season.[/quote]

Lovern asked for a transfer away before the World Cup but said he would wait until after it finished to arrange anything. Several clubs are interested in him, including Dortmund and Schalke - a move to Germany seems likely.

Schneiderlin has been impressing many people in France whilst with the national team and PSG are trying to bring in more French players, although not from other clubs in France, so they might be tempted to bring him ''home''. This is pretty much speculation, but his reputation is growing rapidly. Wanyama won''t be going anywhere, he''s a good destructive player, but is pretty bad with the ball at his feet and probably at his level now.

[quote user="morty"]What this does illustrate is the worth of having a good youth academy![/quote]

Academy or the good fortune to get two or three diamonds?

We have a good academy but Norfolk is complete and utter dog''s plop at breeding natural top level football talent

[quote user="Private Frazer"][quote user="morty"]What this does illustrate is the worth of having a good youth academy![/quote]

We have a good academy but Norfolk is complete and utter dog''s plop at breeding natural top level football talent[/quote]How do you breed top level football talent then? I''m sure its all not just good fortune, having a top level academy will attract the better prospects.

Got nothing to do with Norfolk developing talent, as Academy 1 status the radius is very wide, and don''t think previous ''rules'' stopped any club, including ours, taking players from other areas of the country.

FYI, Luke Shaw was born in Kinston Upon Thames and Adam Lallana St Albans....

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Private Frazer"][quote user="morty"]What this does illustrate is the worth of having a good youth academy![/quote]

We have a good academy but Norfolk is complete and utter dog''s plop at breeding natural top level football talent[/quote]How do you breed top level football talent then? I''m sure its all not just good fortune, having a top level academy will attract the better prospects.[/quote]
It''s a mystery innit. Your Scousers & Cockneys can.  Round these parts it doesn''t happen.

[quote user="Private Frazer"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Private Frazer"][quote user="morty"]What this does illustrate is the worth of having a good youth academy![/quote]

We have a good academy but Norfolk is complete and utter dog''s plop at breeding natural top level football talent[/quote]How do you breed top level football talent then? I''m sure its all not just good fortune, having a top level academy will attract the better prospects.[/quote]
It''s a mystery innit. Your Scousers & Cockneys can.  Round these parts it doesn''t happen.
[/quote]More likely to be about density of population, to be honest.

[quote user="Canary Willo"]

Got nothing to do with Norfolk developing talent, as Academy 1 status the radius is very wide, and don''t think previous ''rules'' stopped any club, including ours, taking players from other areas of the country.

[/quote]
The point I was making was.  Even if we had the best academy in the world and the hour and a half rule applied (don''t know if it still does).  We still don''t produce top talent.  

[quote user="Private Frazer"][quote user="Canary Willo"]

[/quote]
The point I was making was.  Even if we had the best academy in the world and the hour and a half rule applied (don''t know if it still does).  We still don''t produce top talent.  
[/quote]
90mins rule no longer applies.

morty wrote the following post at 27/06/2014 7:03 PM:

"More likely to be about density of population, to be honest."

Like Uruguay?

[quote user="Private Frazer"][quote user="Canary Willo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

and my point was neither do Southampton......

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]morty wrote the following post at 27/06/2014 7:03 PM:

"More likely to be about density of population, to be honest."

Like Uruguay?[/quote][URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/640232a712_zps57437961.gif.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/640232a712_zps57437961.gif[/IMG][/URL]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]morty wrote the following post at 27/06/2014 7:03 PM: "More likely to be about density of population, to be honest." Like Uruguay?[/quote]

[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/640232a712_zps57437961.gif.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/640232a712_zps57437961.gif[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]

If you read T''s posts according to him we have a very dense population

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]morty wrote the following post at 27/06/2014 7:03 PM: "More likely to be about density of population, to be honest." Like Uruguay?[/quote][URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/640232a712_zps57437961.gif.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/640232a712_zps57437961.gif[/IMG][/URL][/quote]

If you read T''s posts according to him we have a very dense population

[/quote]Certain peoples posts here are like white noise to me[;)]

Yeah their academy is so good...

Was Lambert from their academy? Er....

Was Lallana? Er....Oh how about Jay Rodriguez? Awkward.Kelvin Davies? Nathaniel Clyne? Yoshida? Schneiderlin? Lovren? Fonte? Davis? Ramirez? Wanyama? Oh Jack Cork must be? Nope.

They have produced Ward-Prowse and Shaw and others but they have also spent a shed load of money to bring in the youth in the first place..

Lallana was in the Southampton academy from the age of 12 - I think that more than counts.

Last season they had first team appearances from Shaw, Lallana, Harrison Reed, Sam Gallagher and Calum Chambers all from there academy.

I believe that is the highest number for any Premier League team. I think there is little question that at the moment the Southampton academy is the best in the country.

(That is without even mentioned Walcott, Ox-Chamberlain and Bale)

The Saints have a fantastic record over the years in developing top players........Bale, Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Walcot and Shearer from a few seasons ago to people like Shaw and Lallana now.

Like us they''ll always be a selling Club and when they are offered over £50m for Shaw and Lallana by bigger fish how can they refuse ?

I got talking to a Southampton fan after our game at St Mary''s last season and he was adamant Shaw and Lallana would stay as they were local lads adored by the fans and were going to be loyal to their Club. I said that they''d both had great seasons but on the back of that in the real world players heads are quickly turned by all the hype and it would only be a matter of time before their agents came scuttling out of the woodwork to make sure they wanted to leave.

The days of Matt Le Tissier-type loyalty are long gone......

I like Lallana, he is a good player. But £25 million? Another over-priced Englishman.

yeas £25m for lallana seems very steep to me. Howver in todays absurd market, £30m for Shaw seems like a good buy for man u I think as there are very few real quality LB''s in the world at the moment, especially for someone so young.

[quote user="Herman "]I like Lallana, he is a good player. But £25 million? Another over-priced Englishman.[/quote]

I think he''s worth it. IMO he''s the best all round English midfielder and should have started for England. Shown tremendous loyalty to stay with Soton for as long as he has. I''m excited to see him play in a top side. Hopefully he''ll be key for England in France in 2 years.