Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Moving the Ipswich game to the Sunday

Having just read the full extent of the rail works programmed for that Sunday surely the clubs have to stand up for their fans and jointly question the appropriateness of this proposed kick off time/date change?

It appears that it is not possible to get to Ipswich by train from either direction on that day. This will mean both sets of fans being herded onto buses at various stations along the route. I would think that rather than make the police''s job easier it simply increases the potential for trouble at various locations along the line.

Madness.

Yes, you''re correct Jim.  There''s not a single train into Ipswich from any direction.  No trains for the Ipswich fans from Colchester, Manningtree, Felixstowe, Stowmarket, Bury St. Edmunds, etc., so they''ll all be driving, as will all the City fans and parking all over Ipswich town centre.  The Police are completely clueless on this one, they can control things from the station to an extent, but with more people driving it has potential to be a complete disaster.

Agreed, it''s a ridiculous decision. I understand the reasons for an early kick-off, but the usual argument for having games on a Sunday - that people have work the next day hence won''t drink as much or stay out after the game - is irrelevant as the Monday is a Bank Holiday. The game could just as appropriately be held at 12pm on the Saturday that weekend, when the trains are running as usual.

[quote user="ricardo"]Double time on a Sunday.

And they say Plod is stupid[:D]
[/quote]

Incorrect ricardo no double pay for Sundays.

I now see the return fixture at Carrow Road has been moved from a Saturday at 3pm one hour to 2pm so what on earth is that all about ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I now see the return fixture at Carrow Road has been moved from a Saturday at 3pm one hour to 2pm so what on earth is that all about ? [/quote]Overtime considerations must feature somewhere[:D]

or perhaps get home for early tea?

Utterly ridiculous. Especially when forces in other areas seem to be able to cope with much bigger, more volatile derbies without having to move them to a Sunday lunchtime kick off. It''s hardly as if either Norwich or Ipswich have any sort of hooligan element compared to most clubs. It''s bad enough under normal circumstances as it completely kills the atmosphere, but this time with the transport situation it is an absolute joke of a decision.