Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Quick look at Snoddy's twitter page shows the depressing reality

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]Snodgrass was our best player in a disappointing season. The club didn''t want to sell him any more than they wanted to sell Ashton after relegation. They did so on both occasions because it was good business (getting £7m for a player we paid £3m for in each case). This is what Snods had to say in the Pink''un:

“Getting relegated was hard to take,” he said. “Last year, I believe that I couldn’t have given any more from a personal point of view. I was struggling with a few niggling injuries but I went out there and put my body on the line to try to save the club from relegation. Obviously, that wasn’t to be. I had a great two years there. I made some great friends and met some great people. I had one year left of my contract and they didn’t offer me anything else when we went down to the Championship. There’s no bad blood at all. I believe I did as well as I possibly could towards the end of last season.”[/quote]

How was selling Ashton good business, he was probably worth 15-20million, 6 months after leaving us.

Is this much different from signing a leaving card? you''d hardly put "what the hell are you doing???, you judas" in one of those unless you were a complete berk. I think some supporters forget the players in most cases are not going to love the club in the same way we do as fans, at the end of the day they are employees.

This is his personal message he has now put on-line:

Here it is:

"I just want to thank you all for your messages of support, and I''d just like to thank Norwich City as a whole, from my team-mates to the staff & owners and most of all the fans for making me and my family feel so welcome for the last two years. I''d like to wish you all the success in the near future."

Good of him, I''d say.

Can''t agree with your assessment Jim.

Why on earth shouldn''t he want a move to a Premier League club ? If he''d deserted us for another Championship outfit I''d be miffed. As you rightly say we shouldn''t expect loyalty - he''s got no ties with Norwich after all - and I say good luck to him. I remember Gary Hooper basically saying he''d only joined Norwich to try to force himself into the England set-up for the World Cup. Having witnessed the usual dismal England showing in Brazil he''s probably thinks he''s lucky to have been off the radar on that one but like Snodgrass he''s got no loyalty to Norwich. He''ll probably be off too if given the chance.

Matt Juler on here sees Snodgrass as the chief culprit for our relegation. I don''t agree. He was a bit greedy at times and didn''t always seem a team player but gave 100% effort and had no little skill. If we''d had more of him out there we''d never have gone down at all.

I suspect he was hoping to do a little better than Hull City for his next move but he''s earned himself a nice wage rise and all the glamour that goes with the Premier League. We got a fantastic fee for a player with only a year''s contract left so it''s '' win-win '' all round here.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

Can''t agree with your assessment Jim.

Why on earth shouldn''t he want a move to a Premier League club ? If he''d deserted us for another Championship outfit I''d be miffed. As you rightly say we shouldn''t expect loyalty - he''s got no ties with Norwich after all - and I say good luck to him. I remember Gary Hooper basically saying he''d only joined Norwich to try to force himself into the England set-up for the World Cup. Having witnessed the usual dismal England showing in Brazil he''s probably thinks he''s lucky to have been off the radar on that one but like Snodgrass he''s got no loyalty to Norwich. He''ll probably be off too if given the chance.

Matt Juler on here sees Snodgrass as the chief culprit for our relegation. I don''t agree. He was a bit greedy at times and didn''t always seem a team player but gave 100% effort and had no little skill. If we''d had more of him out there we''d never have gone down at all.

I suspect he was hoping to do a little better than Hull City for his next move but he''s earned himself a nice wage rise and all the glamour that goes with the Premier League. We got a fantastic fee for a player with only a year''s contract left so it''s '' win-win '' all round here.

[/quote]

ASMS my point was not really about him wanting to play in the premier league. As it happens, I think his move is short sighted and there''s a strong chance we could swap places with Hull at the end of next season but that is not really the point either.

I was simply pointing out how depressing/frustrating it is to see in black and white on twitter all the players congratulating him on a "great move." Not only is it frustrating to see the likes of Hull picking over our bones in the first place but the frustration is added to by seeing our players congratulating him for bagging such a "deserved" move. Maybe though they meant he was cr*p for most of last season so deserves to be stuck in a dump like Hull ;-).

I''m a Norwich fan and I will never, ever be happy that players see a move to a club like Hull as a "step up" from us, even if technically it may be. I get that this is what happens I just don;t have to like it hence the title of my thread - its "the depressing reality."

I don''t think anyone has said they are happy that RS has moved on to a PL club such as Hull, Jim. Even his arch critic Lake has not exactly been jumping for joy at his departure to Humberside.But there is a big difference between that and saying that you begrudge people wishing him the best. It seems that some folk want it both ways. Back in Jan ,Wes was roundly criticised for wanting to go to another in the PL relegation stakes, Villa. ''We shouldn''t be selling to a rival'' ,wailed some. Now, when we sell a player to a team in a higher division (...yes, I''m afraid to say Hull are that.....), that''s not right either. You cannot win, it seems.

Jim -The depressing reality is Hull City, however temporarily, are now in a higher League than we are. Players want to play in the Premiership however short-sighted that might be ( although it''s quite possible that we''ll have swapped places this time next year which would be highly amusing )

As for players congratulating each other that''s just football''s ridiculous hyperbole. I''ve never heard of a player saying that they or a fellow professional has made a bad move unless it turns out to be completely disastrous. Even then it''s all " it just didn''t work out for me there but  the experience has made me come back a much stronger player,blah, blah, blah "

Hull '' picking over our bones '' isn''t great I''d agree but when they''ve been mugged for a reported £7m or so for a fairly average player with just one year left on his contract then they can carry on doing that all day long as far as I''m concerned [:D]

What I found odd was Snoddy''s assertion that (with respect to his contract) he ''wasnt offered anything new''. It had been widely stated on here that Snodgrass had announced that he wouldnt be signing a new contract. So which version of events was true?

Hull are in the premier league. It is a step up in football.

Did any comment suggest Hull was a step up in club?

In regards to his contract, i imagine there was a relegation clause and the club were not prepared to break from that when initial talks regarding his contract was brought up.

So from that point it was always a no go and he has prem aspirations.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]This is his personal message he has now put on-line: Here it is: "I just want to thank you all for your messages of support, and I''d just like to thank Norwich City as a whole, from my team-mates to the staff & owners and most of all the fans for making me and my family feel so welcome for the last two years. I''d like to wish you all the success in the near future." Good of him, I''d say.[/quote]

Nothing new here. Ruddy once again passed his best out to Snodgrass. Snoddy thought about being direct, hemmed and hawed on how to deliver it and, after delaying for a bit, decided to be a twit.

Board - We do not have to sell any player we do not want to .Adams - He is a player we would have loved to have had in our squad next season Snodgrass - According to press reports his move was delayed while his settlement from Norwich was sorted as he did not ask the club for a transfer .Which all makes you rather wonder why we sold a player who did not ask to leave when our manager would have loved him to stay .

[quote user="Cheap Cheap Canaries"]Board - We do not have to sell any player we do not want to .Adams - He is a player we would have loved to have had in our squad next season Snodgrass - According to press reports his move was delayed while his settlement from Norwich was sorted as he did not ask the club for a transfer .Which all makes you rather wonder why we sold a player who did not ask to leave when our manager would have loved him to stay .[/quote]

BINNER ALERT !

BINNER ALERT !BINNER ALERT !

press here

(hide the charity collection tins)

Listening to Adams yesterday, i suspect there will be an exodus of players leaving before August.I would be very surprised if any of Hooper, RvW. Fer, Bassong and Olsson are here when the first game kicks off.

After reading the OPs comments I''m just imagining the idea of his friends tweeting to him "don''t get excited Snoddy - it''s only bleedin'' Hull City".  Or would that be ex-friends ?

Haven''t bothered to read the intervening pages having seen the comments on this page they''re pretty much par for the course on the pinkun nowadays.

I think it''s more the fact that most of these pros have a fair idea of how much money Snoddy is now on and sadly, that is what really counts to your modern day footballer.

Cheap Cheap Canaries wrote the following post at 02/07/2014 12:02 AM:

"Board - We do not have to sell any player we do not want to .

Adams - He is a player we would have loved to have had in our squad next season

Snodgrass - According to press reports his move was delayed while his settlement from Norwich was sorted as he did not ask the club for a transfer .

Which all makes you rather wonder why we sold a player who did not ask to leave when our manager would have loved him to stay ."

And what say you of Snodgrass turning down two previous enquiries for him? As the Board will always make any offer known to the player involved he obviously saw enough in the Hull package to decide he would like to move there.

It seems fairly obvious that Adams is going to play a more direct role this coming season, Snoddy''s style of play would hamper that and he would be used very sparingly. Most sensible people would see the reality that this was a good move for all parties.