Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Russell Martin - Centre Back

I always liked him at centre back.  Perhaps exposed for pace sometimes at right back but at centre back he is  positionly good and shows good awareness - and if captain will be in best position for that too.   Adams has used him at centre back and Martin himself has said he sees him settling at centre back in the future.   Could the future be now?  

it depends then if we can get someone at RB because whitts is pretty woeful in most areas of the pitch. Either way we need to spend in a position of the defence

Martin has an edge on Whittaker, I feel, at right back, but both of them are better going forward than in defending. If we ever to make a mark in the Premiership, perhaps even get promotion to it, I think that we need a better right back with some pace.

Martin does play better at centre back, but even there he is really not quick enough, and I hope with all the money available we shall buy a good centre back as well.

I have valued Martin''s great commitment, but against pace he does struggle a little. The only other player whom we have currently who could supply pace at right back is Benno, but I ma not sure how good he would be at defending crosses.

Although i like him at Centre Back, he isn''t the tallest and wouldn''t dominate aerially like Turner and Ryan Bennett. Against some sides in the championship this might be exposed.

Don''t worry Russell Martin fans, if there was 6 better defenders, Adams will find a place for him in the team.

Simmo, do you write music for Coldplay? Because you are depressed as fu(k mate.

[quote user="Buh"]Simmo, do you write music for Coldplay? Because you are depressed as fu(k mate.[/quote]

LOL it is Monday

Looks like Martin is going to be a central defender from now on, given that he has been given the number 5 shirt, otherwise why change his and Whittaker''s number.   So it could well be a back four of  Whittaker, Martin, Turner, Olsson...........

[quote user="lake district canary"]   So it could well be a back four of  Whittaker, Martin, Turner, Olsson...........

[/quote]You may be proven right, but I for one would certainly hope that Ryan Bennett would kick on this season and make himself first choice centre back . I think he had something of a baptism of fire in a struggling PL team under Hughton''s mismanagement, but would hope (expect !) that he finds the new circumstances more to his liking. He certainly has the ability.

Personally I think cb allows  Russ'' leadership qualities to come to the fore,   but as a cb I think he is comfortably the worst of the 3 at the club,   two seasons ago he was only an emergency stand in (did well as that,  but we looked more secure again when real cbs came into that role) and last season even an under par seb was significantly better in the middle than martin was.

He may be good enough in the champs,  but if we get promoted he will need immediate replacing - as such I would rather secure a dedicated cb who could step up to prem once we gain promotion  

I emailed Neil Adams about this and have just got the reply. His preferred system this season is going to be three centre-backs (with Martin as the one who gets forward into midfield and beyond) and wing-backs. Hence giving him the Number 5 shirt. As an aside Adams said he didn''t think Snodgrass would have fitted well into this system, which was an extra reason for selling him, apart from the money.

Personally I don''t like Martin at centre back, he seems to get drawn to the ball too much and ends up taking bad positions as a result. Would much prefer a new centre back and right back to be brought in. Turner will be excellent in the Championship and was Norwich''s best defender last season, Bennett is still to prove he''s ready to play regulary and makes to many mistakes, Bassong will be off as soon as someone comes up with a half decent offer and I''ve never been convinced by Whittaker.

Releived it is not just my eyes that dont like what I have seen of Russ at cb

while you may jest about 3-5-2 PC I am warming to this as a formation.     It give the advantage of a solid midfield and 2 strikers up top - although when Lambert tried it in the PL for a couple of games it was a disaster.

It is dependent on having very solid high energy wing backs (which seems to be right up elliott bs street) and a clear understanding in the back three.    I may be able to tolerate Russ in that sort of formation than as a classic flat back 4 system.   Ideally I would still be looking to buy cbs to fit that role.

It is a system that needs close season time to ensure familiarisation too. 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

while you may jest about 3-5-2 PC I am warming to this as a formation.     It give the advantage of a solid midfield and 2 strikers up top - although when Lambert tried it in the PL for a couple of games it was a disaster.

It is dependent on having very solid high energy wing backs (which seems to be right up elliott bs street) and a clear understanding in the back three.    I may be able to tolerate Russ in that sort of formation than as a classic flat back 4 system.   Ideally I would still be looking to buy cbs to fit that role.

It is a system that needs close season time to ensure familiarisation too. 

[/quote]Zipper, of course it was a jest, and I am not that keen on it as a system overall, but there may be occasions when it would be appropriate. As you say, Elliott Bennett would fit in well as a wing-back, and so would Olsson, if he stays. But it does need at least one of the centre-backs to be able to play a bit and move forward, and Russell Martin would be the obvious choice for that role.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

I''m also in agreement on that.

Hopefully we''ll get away with it in the Champs.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lake district canary"]   So it could well be a back four of  Whittaker, Martin, Turner, Olsson...........

[/quote]

You may be proven right, but I for one would certainly hope that Ryan Bennett would kick on this season and make himself first choice centre back . I think he had something of a baptism of fire in a struggling PL team under Hughton''s mismanagement, but would hope (expect !) that he finds the new circumstances more to his liking. He certainly has the ability.

[/quote]

You might have thought he''d have been given the 5 shirt if he was seen as being a first choice CB this season and a big player for us.

Pretty much agree with Bethnal''s post, although I''d say that I''ve always thought Bennett looks better when playing alongside Turner.

I''d have thought a Turner/Bennett partnership would be pretty handy in the Championship, certainly better than Ward/Whitbread!

Our main CB has to be Turner - he''s been the most solid and consistent out of any of our defenders since we bought him.

Go for Yedlin the american who came on he looked good to me, plays for Seattle, we need a new RB

If Martin is to be centre back - as it looks like he will be - then we can only assume that the management think he is good enough.  And he will improve as he settles into the position.    I remember some excellent displays from him at centre back, where he saved certain goals with his positional sense and anticipation.  And he has played for Scotland at centre back too - so he is no novice at centre back.

The writing is on the wall.....or on his shirt......that he will be captain and a main centre back this season.  Best we get used to the idea.

[quote user="lake district canary"]If Martin is to be centre back - as it looks like he will be - then we can only assume that the management think he is good enough.  And he will improve as he settles into the position.    I remember some excellent displays from him at centre back, where he saved certain goals with his positional sense and anticipation.  And he has played for Scotland at centre back too - so he is no novice at centre back.

The writing is on the wall.....or on his shirt......that he will be captain and a main centre back this season.  Best we get used to the idea.

[/quote]

Can''t argue with you on that score ldc.