Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

The Spirit of 2011...

Neil has spoken about generating good team spirit while the squad are at St George''s Park, so my question is how do we recapture some of the spirit which we had in 2011? Without knowing a great deal about the inner-workings of the Lambert era, three key elements emerge for me. Firstly we believed we could beat anyone we played, and often played on the front-foot. Secondly Lambert protected the players by refusing to criticise individuals in the media (on the touchline it was a different matter). Admittedly this is a fairly widely used convention, that Neil appears to be following to date. Thirdly and most importantly, it really felt like everyone wanted to be here, that they were prepared to work hard for each other to achieve something that was greater than the sum of our parts. With our current squad we have every right to expect a promotion challenge, but we can''t be carrying any passengers. If we are to keep the likes of Bassong, Hoolahan, Pilks and the Dutch pair, they need to be prepared to give everything for the cause (see the USA at the World Cup).

I''m not looking for a total repeat of the 2010/2011 season in terms of style- exciting as it would be- but I''m hoping that we can regain the spirit that propelled us to such great heights.

Good OP, and NA find himself in a very different situation to the challenge PL had in terms of squad strength and ability.

For me its about the complete package, will Holt or Robson be to NA what Cully was to PL for example. Will one of the players take over the mantle of inspirational captain and leader like Holty did, which was absolutely crucial to the overall success of the team during PL''s tenure.

I think your third point though is crucial....do they all want to be here.......if they dont, then my suggestion would be to NOT take them on the training trip or pre season and start where we mean to go on....you are either on this train or you are not......

The difference from Lamberts class of 2010-2011 is that the present crop of players have tasted success (to soem degree), may be a bit spoiled, feeling they are "too good to be here", etc.

The class of 2010-2011 had acheived nothing, and got the hunger.

Infact, having hunger is something which always accompanies good players who will eventually experience success in their career. Even the Barca and Bayern Munich players, after countless titles, express a hunger for the game rarely to be seen among todays overpaid (ex) Premier players.

I think the present crop of players are good enough to achieve promotion, as long as they can show the hunger needed.

I''m in doubt about players like Bassong, Fer (seems so slack, low frequency footwork), Becchio (must be desillusioned by now), Tettey (may think he is better than he is), Pilkington (seems to be sulking too much and always injured), Whittaker (dunno, not enough committment me thinks), Wes (head turned, wants Prem contract in the twilight of his career).

Pillars of this team in terms of morale, hunger, committment, etc will be Elliot Bennett, RvW (yes, strangely enough I think he has the hunger and the will to stay and fight for the cause), Turner, Russ Martin (although not good enough me thinks), Ruddy (need to talk more and be more "mad"), Olsson, Howson, Johnson (although far from good enough). Also think both Lafferty and Grabban will prove to be good buys with something to prove.

[quote user="Lappinitup"]It is silly to compare Lambert and his great team with Adams and the current rabble.[/quote]

Nice try but your post count has given you away.

Lappinitup

Not Ranked
Joined on 07/06/2014
Posts 4

Re: The Spirit of 2011...

Reply Quote

It is silly to compare Lambert and his great team with Adams and the current rabble.