Sign in to follow this  
morty

Post relegation apathy.

In recent seasons there has hardly been a sniff of any transfer activity, yet this season we appear do be doing good business, both in and out.Yet people seem entirely unimpressed, for some reason?Is there a relegation hangover? Do people have a fear for the new season?Are some waiting on the axe falling, and our Premiership stars filing out the door?Surely we should be at least intrigued of buying young, up and coming talent, and re-inventing Norwich City?

As we are heading towards the new season, whilst remaining very disappointed it is not the EPL we are looking forward to, I am actually relatively impressed so far with what has been happening and, yes, certainly intrigued. Sure we may see two or three more go, but with the remaining squad, including some excellent youngsters plus new signings who knows what will happen......my expectations remain a bounce back to the EPL.

[quote user="morty"]In recent seasons there has hardly been a sniff of any transfer activity[/quote]We''ve changed almost every single player in our squad over the last two summers. I''ll agree that we have potentially made some very good signings this summer, and Wilson would be more of the same.

[quote user="Lappinitup"]A lack of confidence in the current Board and Manager has much to do with it.[/quote]You''re obviously out to derail every decent thread there is.Just F*** off binner scum.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]As we are heading towards the new season, whilst remaining very disappointed it is not the EPL we are looking forward to, I am actually relatively impressed so far with what has been happening and, yes, certainly intrigued. Sure we may see two or three more go, but with the remaining squad, including some excellent youngsters plus new signings who knows what will happen......my expectations remain a bounce back to the EPL.[/quote]I have to admit to feeling a slight unease that a bombshell will be dropped, just when we''re not expecting it, but thats part of being a City fan I guess.Overall, yes, I am impressed with what is happening, but I find myself slightly impatient as to what the final squad will be, as we still have some quality I''d rather not lose.

[quote user="Canary fun and games "]Arguing with yourself the first sign of madness[/quote]I knew it was you Waveney. Tw@t.

[quote user="KeiranShikari"][quote user="morty"]In recent seasons there has hardly been a sniff of any transfer activity[/quote]We''ve changed almost every single player in our squad over the last two summers. I''ll agree that we have potentially made some very good signings this summer, and Wilson would be more of the same.[/quote]Yes, reasonable point, but I meant early on in the window, we all seemed to be kicking our heels, desperately speculating. This time we are being linked all over the place with players. But that is likely the "new big fish in the small pond, with money to spend" factor.

Three have already gone, two at the end of their contract, and two have come in, plus some youngsters now available. There is a change. The squad will be more competitive, with the newcomers especially, and I hope one or two more of them in the defence and midfield.

This could overcome any lethargy in the squad, and also go some way to exciting us - there are new possibilities after hanging on grimly for two seasons.

[quote user="Salopian"]Three have already gone, two at the end of their contract, and two have come in, plus some youngsters now available. There is a change. The squad will be more competitive, with the newcomers especially, and I hope one or two more of them in the defence and midfield.

This could overcome any lethargy in the squad, and also go some way to exciting us - there are new possibilities after hanging on grimly for two seasons.[/quote]I agree with all that, but I don''t see many fans buying into it.What I hope is that people don''t carry the old prejudices into the new season, but I suspect the first time we lose, this place will revert to type.

Definitely apathy for me, plus at the start of the summer not much was happening so my attention to this board has plummeted, plus some of the usual trolls were of course in 7th heaven after we were relegated.

Also while are signings are promising, seeing the world cup is a reminder of the sort of players like Alderadweld that we were trying to sign this time last year, even though it worked out badly.

I don''t think I''ll shake it off until the new season starts. 

People are very wary and find it difficult to be optimistic because they can just remember our transfer dealings the last time we got relegated.

Helveg > Louis Jean

Svensson > Thorne

Francis > Jarrett

Holt > Hughes

Ashton > Earnshaw

So when they put 2+2 together and see...

Elmander > Lafferty

RVW > Wilson

They start getting concerned that history is repeating itself. Far too early to be pessimistic but also understandable why people are reluctant to be optimistic.

Especially when we look back and remember how optimistic we all were last summer bringing in people like Fer and Redmond, and RVW, and getting relegated.

People know that there is a lot of business left to be done, too early to be optimistic or pessimistic.

[quote user="KeiranShikari"]If a majority of Ruddy, Fer, Olsson and Hooper are still on our books when the window closes I think we''ll have very good chance.

[/quote]I think Olsson and Ruddy will be gone, with the money we can pick up a Championship standard left back easily, and I''d be happy with Rudd in goal.

We don''t want a championship standard left back though do we?

We want to win the division, so we want players that can show themselves as too good for the division and worth a shot in the division above?

I''d rather have Garrido than some journeyman mediocre Jim Brennan type who can do a job.

We should be going into this season with one of Olsson and Garrido in our team.

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]We don''t want a championship standard left back though do we?

We want to win the division, so we want players that can show themselves as too good for the division and worth a shot in the division above?

I''d rather have Garrido than some journeyman mediocre Jim Brennan type who can do a job.

We should be going into this season with one of Olsson and Garrido in our team.[/quote]Well we still have Garrido, don''t we? I''m not counting on him leaving.Yes I know we should be going into the season with Olsson, but the same rule applies as with Snoddy, if someone offers daft enough money, then he''ll be gone.Perhaps we need to make Ruddy our sacrificial lamb here, he is one of the more marketable players, and one we already have cover for. Let him go for 10 million, and we don''t even need to listen to offers for the others.

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]People are very wary and find it difficult to be optimistic because they can just remember our transfer dealings the last time we got relegated. Helveg > Louis Jean Svensson > Thorne Francis > Jarrett Holt > Hughes Ashton > Earnshaw So when they put 2+2 together and see... Elmander > Lafferty RVW > Wilson They start getting concerned that history is repeating itself. Far too early to be pessimistic but also understandable why people are reluctant to be optimistic. Especially when we look back and remember how optimistic we all were last summer bringing in people like Fer and Redmond, and RVW, and getting relegated. People know that there is a lot of business left to be done, too early to be optimistic or pessimistic.[/quote]

Very true.  On paper the players we bought last summer were the best we''ve ever brought in IMO.  Just goes to show.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="KeiranShikari"]If a majority of Ruddy, Fer, Olsson and Hooper are still on our books when the window closes I think we''ll have very good chance.

[/quote]I think Olsson and Ruddy will be gone, with the money we can pick up a Championship standard left back easily, and I''d be happy with Rudd in goal.[/quote]Ruddy following Watson to Southampton certainly doesn''t seem too unlikely. With his long contract and their massive transfer fund that will probably end up being a nice earner for the club. Haven''t seen enough of Rudd to judge really, do you think he''s solid enough to be number 1 in aiming at the Premier League?I have a feeling Olsson will stay and then move next summer if we aren''t promoted. Can''t help but think Fer is more likely to go.

[quote user="KeiranShikari"][quote user="morty"][quote user="KeiranShikari"]If a majority of Ruddy, Fer, Olsson and Hooper are still on our books when the window closes I think we''ll have very good chance.

[/quote]I think Olsson and Ruddy will be gone, with the money we can pick up a Championship standard left back easily, and I''d be happy with Rudd in goal.[/quote]Ruddy following Watson to Southampton certainly doesn''t seem too unlikely. With his long contract and their massive transfer fund that will probably end up being a nice earner for the club. Haven''t seen enough of Rudd to judge really, do you think he''s solid enough to be number 1 in aiming at the Premier League?I have a feeling Olsson will stay and then move next summer if we aren''t promoted. Can''t help but think Fer is more likely to go.[/quote]Rudd I think would be good enough in the Championship, I think we shouldn''t get too ahead of ourselves, and worry about the Prem, if and when we get there. Remember Bunn also held his own, when required.The midfield concerns me a little, I think what we have right now, played in the right system could be pretty good, but lose one or two, and I could start to get worried.

As it stands I think we have a rather nice central midfield. Of course Fer and Tettey could well be off, I presume that is where your concern comes from.

Losing fer and olsson would be worrying imo. They can offer some stand out class. Tetty and howson similarly. We have a potentially dominant squad at the moment with good striking and wing options. Too much change could dilute our chances of a return.

[quote user="KeiranShikari"]As it stands I think we have a rather nice central midfield. Of course Fer and Tettey could well be off, I presume that is where your concern comes from.

[/quote]Yes, pretty much.Johnson and Howson have Championship mid table written all over them. Perhaps slightly unfair on Johnny, as I have high hopes for him, but I want to see the likes of Fer and Tettey dominating midfield.

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]Tettey is another one with a year left isn''t he, out of contract next summer?[/quote]I would be happy to take a risk on him, in that respect, as I don''t think anyone would offer us daft money for him right now.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="KeiranShikari"]As it stands I think we have a rather nice central midfield. Of course Fer and Tettey could well be off, I presume that is where your concern comes from.

[/quote]Yes, pretty much.Johnson and Howson have Championship mid table written all over them. Perhaps slightly unfair on Johnny, as I have high hopes for him, but I want to see the likes of Fer and Tettey dominating midfield.[/quote]Very unfair on Howson, I feel. Think back to some of those performances under Lambert, even had some good spells under Hughton. Of course with Jonny it will always be about finding his best position, I''m not really sure what that is. Only 26 as well.

[quote user="KeiranShikari"][quote user="morty"][quote user="KeiranShikari"]As it stands I think we have a rather nice central midfield. Of course Fer and Tettey could well be off, I presume that is where your concern comes from.

[/quote]Yes, pretty much.Johnson and Howson have Championship mid table written all over them. Perhaps slightly unfair on Johnny, as I have high hopes for him, but I want to see the likes of Fer and Tettey dominating midfield.[/quote]Very unfair on Howson, I feel. Think back to some of those performances under Lambert, even had some good spells under Hughton. Of course with Jonny it will always be about finding his best position, I''m not really sure what that is. Only 26 as well.

[/quote]I agree, which is why I said, and I don''t really know his best position either, I have seen him have good games played deep, and some good ones getting forward more. I just think he needs to expand his game more perhaps, to be a top midfielder you need a bit of everything, grit, passing, tackling, a good engine etc. Perhaps we just need to get the best out of him I guess.But, on their day, Tettey and Fer are better.

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]People are very wary and find it difficult to be optimistic because they can just remember our transfer dealings the last time we got relegated.

Helveg > Louis Jean

Svensson > Thorne

Francis > Jarrett

Holt > Hughes

Ashton > Earnshaw

So when they put 2+2 together and see...

Elmander > Lafferty

RVW > Wilson

They start getting concerned that history is repeating itself.
Far too early to be pessimistic but also understandable why people are reluctant to be optimistic.

Especially when we look back and remember how optimistic we all were last summer bringing in people like Fer and Redmond, and RVW, and getting relegated.

People know that there is a lot of business left to be done, too early to be optimistic or pessimistic.[/quote]On the contrary. Elmander was a good player in his prime, but his prime was a few years ago. The Lafferty of now is an upgrade of the Elmander of now, and Grabban (and Wilson if he joins) can hardly be anything but a squad upgrade, since we haven''t sold another striker. But if we were to get rid of van Wolfswinkel it is hard to see how Grabban could fail to be an upgrade. Van Wolfswinkel was entirely ineffective, and gave no sign at all that in the Championship he could do what Grabban did last season, which was to score a goal every other game.

whats the point in selling our best players? yeah sure we''ll get a lot of money, but its not like we''re gonna buy better than what we''ve got and therefore are much less likely to get back up where the real cheddar is...it basically makes no sense