Sign in to follow this  

After the thread about the SS Norwich city it got me thinking about trains - and came across this little bit of information about the name plate from the Norwich City Steam train.  Apparently there were two trains named Norwich City, the names swapping over in 1938.   Also it says there were two nameplates. Does anyone know where the other one is, or does NCFC have both?

The Norwich City nameplate

TRN/004/EB photos Norwich City railway - Bulley NCity2.jpg (1164px x 1752px)

"One of my jobs I had when I was on the railway, was when the railways

started to get rid of steam they scrapped a lot of the engines and my

shed master, Mr. Hardy, was trying to get hold of the nameplate of a

certain engine based at Norwich. It was a B17, green in colour and it

had the Norwich City name on it, because it was one of the Football

Class. They took the names of football teams, Leicester City - in fact

Leicester City was at Southtown for quite a while. He eventually got

permission to buy both the nameplates off the Norwich City engine. He

presented one of the plates to Norwich football ground. Me and a chap

named Frank Mallet, who was a fitter, we both went over there with a

ladder and put it there over the entrance to Norwich football ground.

But I''ve noticed, which I can understand why, they removed it and put it

on the inside where the actual players come out onto the green. Because

they got so expensive that they were most probably frightened that it

was going to be stolen."

The original Norwich City (2859) locomotive is currently awaiting sale and restoration - links here -

https://www.facebook.com/2859preservationsociety

http://the2859preservationsociety.webs.com/

May be of interest to someone.........

Glad you asked.The other train went off the edge of a cliff and was destroyed.  Looking back on it, many fans wryly noted that the driver of the train had been doing just enough to keep the train on the rails until the end of the journey when he was faced with five impossible hills and had failed to gain enough forward momentum during the quieter parts of the journey to negotiate them.  The driver died and his son, a telegraph engineer, was appointed to be the driver of a smaller and less expensive, but still competitive, train.Many fans still deny this ever happened and believe if the passengers had been a bit more chipper and given the driver more encouragement, it would all have been fine.

[quote user="Bor Bor Boycott"]Glad you asked.The other train went off the edge of a cliff and was destroyed.  Looking back on it, many fans wryly noted that the driver of the train had been doing just enough to keep the train on the rails until the end of the journey when he was faced with five impossible hills and had failed to gain enough forward momentum during the quieter parts of the journey to negotiate them.  The driver died and his son, a telegraph engineer, was appointed to be the driver of a smaller and less expensive, but still competitive, train.Many fans still deny this ever happened and believe if the passengers had been a bit more chipper and given the driver more encouragement, it would all have been fine.

[/quote]

Love your posts Bor and this is my new favourite.