Sign in to follow this  
stoke canary

Dave Watson...

I was exited when he came to Norwich, but in all honesty, I think Ruddy was a better keeper before he arrived. Yes, of course he had a terrible injury, but I just thought he was better  3 seasons ago than last season.

Chris Woods might be available after USA are knocked out of the World Cup.

He was never going to be here for long. In, out...next.

[quote user="stoke canary"]goalkeeping coach leaving to join Southampton apparently.[/quote]oddly enough the keeper for the FA Youth team was on loan from Southampton

To be honest I think his position became untenable when Ruddy didn''t go to the World Cup. I agree with this thread his reputation is as one of the best GK coaches in Britain.

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="stoke canary"]goalkeeping coach leaving to join Southampton apparently.[/quote]oddly enough the keeper for the FA Youth team was on loan from Southampton

[/quote]

I can never remember the name of that kid?

But what a serious talent he is should have kept hold of him

Good riddance - what has he done for Norwich

Clear all the crap out that were involved in our relegation

Get rid

He may be a great coach, but equally he managed to coach an England squad keeper into not being selected for this year''s w-c. IMO not that great an advert for either him his charges, or perhaps both. I''m sure there''s plenty of other decent coaches out there.

Who knows if he really will be missed, but can''t say that the English goalkeepers covered themselves in glory in Brazil...

joe hart was poor in the world cup looked like drank a gallon of red bull before kick off, the best goalies have an aura of calmness about them hart was like a crack addict on giro day...there are some tremendous goalies at the world cup we have been left behind on that as well... Dave watson has bought nothing to england or norwich in my view none of the keepers he works with have improved in fact they have gone backwards, who was it we had under lambert ? that fat bloke from non league lawrence someone ? get him back he couldn''t do any worse....

He''ll be no great loss imo.................look at England!

The way the club is currently being run I guess Dave Watson will be replaced by someone who once played in goal for Poringland, who''s uncle works at Colney.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Does that mean JR going to Southampton?

What keepers have they got there, that Watson could train up for the England squad?[/quote]

Why the hell would Ruddy want to follow the man who was a major part of ruining his world cup dream. It was clear from some of Ruddy''s comments after he missed out on the squad that he was unimpressed with Watson (basically saying before Watson came he was in the squad and now after 2 years of working with him he''s not). He may or may not be a good coach but how can Ruddy have any faith in Watson after what happened to him with the world cup squad. Part of Watson''s role is to instill self belief in our keeper yet he was part of a set up that selected the bang average Ben Foster and completely untested Fraser Forster ahead of Ruddy.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="crabbycanary"]Does that mean JR going to Southampton? What keepers have they got there, that Watson could train up for the England squad?[/quote] Why the hell would Ruddy want to follow the man who was a major part of ruining his world cup dream. It was clear from some of Ruddy''s comments after he missed out on the squad that he was unimpressed with Watson (basically saying before Watson came he was in the squad and now after 2 years of working with him he''s not). He may or may not be a good coach but how can Ruddy have any faith in Watson after what happened to him with the world cup squad. Part of Watson''s role is to instill self belief in our keeper yet he was part of a set up that selected the bang average Ben Foster and completely untested Fraser Forster ahead of Ruddy.[/quote]

Watson wouldn''t have any say over which keepers are selected for the World Cup squad. Ruddy''s comments about Watson sounded horribly bitter, like he should be in the squad because he works with him.

Watson is a highly rated, young coach but his departure was pretty inevitabale the moment Hughton left - they worked together at Birmingham and was a large part of the reason Watson came to Norwich in the first place.

Highly rated he might be but it''s hard to see how Ruddy''s game has came on since he''s been coaching him and some of Hart''s goalkeeping in Brazil was really quite poor.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="crabbycanary"]Does that mean JR going to Southampton? What keepers have they got there, that Watson could train up for the England squad?[/quote] Why the hell would Ruddy want to follow the man who was a major part of ruining his world cup dream. It was clear from some of Ruddy''s comments after he missed out on the squad that he was unimpressed with Watson (basically saying before Watson came he was in the squad and now after 2 years of working with him he''s not). He may or may not be a good coach but how can Ruddy have any faith in Watson after what happened to him with the world cup squad. Part of Watson''s role is to instill self belief in our keeper yet he was part of a set up that selected the bang average Ben Foster and completely untested Fraser Forster ahead of Ruddy.[/quote]

Watson wouldn''t have any say over which keepers are selected for the World Cup squad. Ruddy''s comments about Watson sounded horribly bitter, like he should be in the squad because he works with him.

Watson is a highly rated, young coach but his departure was pretty inevitabale the moment Hughton left - they worked together at Birmingham and was a large part of the reason Watson came to Norwich in the first place.

[/quote]

Being highly rated in football does not equate to being "any good." It seems to be as much about who you know or simply assuming that tag at some point in your career and it never leaving you which you could argue is something we do too much with our young players. Hughton is "highly rated" by many within the game.

If as England goalkeeping coach Watson has no say/influence in the 3 goalkeepers that get selected then I would seriously question the system that allows that to be the case. I would think he should be the most important voice the manager listens to in terms of the ability and form of the respective goalkeepers and I also think Ruddy had every right to sound bitter. His omission from the squad was unjust. He clearly thought he had done enough to merit selection and one can only assume part of that was because he works so closely with the England goalkeeping coach every day.

Anyway there seem to be plenty of GK coaches about so i''m sure we will survive this massive loss!

Wiz wrote the following post at 30/06/2014 9:09 AM:

He''ll be no great loss imo.................look at England!

--------------------------------------------------

A lot of people are saying this, but are people really blaming england being sh it because of the goalkeepers?

Strangely I see this as a positive indicator that Ruddy will stay.

He couldn''t have been happy that his/the clubs own coach decided to choose both Ben Foster and Fraser Forster to go to the World cup ahead of him. Surely, even if he didnt have the final say he must have had a huge influence on Roy Hodgsons squad choice.

This is bound to have upset Ruddy and questionable if he would be prepared to work with him.

I''m hoping that it''s a case of Ruddy saying I really want to stay but its him or me - or am I just being optomistic?!?

Ruddy was a poorer goalkeeper last season, whether or not that was to do with Watson is open to debate, but ultimately he didnt make the world cup squad as he simply was poorer than he had been 12 months ago.

Paul Crichton would have been a good choice but he''s just been picked up by Grimsby 2 days ago.

Not only did Ruddy improve under him but maybe more importantly Declan grew hugely and that may become more important as things develop further. That said, who''s the GK coach at Preston then, maybe we can poach him!

Just a thought but I wonder if Woy will renew his season ticket at Southampton this season with all their England players on the move He seemed to watch them every week !!

Joe Hart seems to have escaped the medias attention (too much focus on the departing aging failed lampard & gerrard, lb and cbs) but he was awful,  esp against uruguay.  

Unsurprisingly FIFA have him rated as the worst keeper (and one of the worst players overall) in the tournament.. Good job he has his advertising and modelling career to fall back on

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/castrol-index/index.html