Sign in to follow this  
simmo_2

The club really needs to sign a player who could be Captain.

All the individuals mentioned on here before for captain will struggle to get in the team once Adams start seeing who really let us down last season

[quote user="Paul"]Russell Martin will be captain. End of discussion.[/quote]

Well that''s us going nowhere then.

[quote user="simmo_2"][quote user="Paul"]Russell Martin will be captain. End of discussion.[/quote] Well that''s us going nowhere then.[/quote]

that would be the same Russell Martin who was captain last time we got promoted then....

yep.. nowhere indeed...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="simmo_2"][quote user="Paul"]Russell Martin will be captain. End of discussion.[/quote] Well that''s us going nowhere then.[/quote]

that would be the same Russell Martin who was captain last time we got promoted then....

yep.. nowhere indeed...

[/quote]

Grant Holt.

I was going to say, you talk about players who let us down, but Howson certainly wasn''t one of them.

I think he''ll stay with Russell Martin as Captain having moved him to Centre Back (if that''s the plan) but I too think that Howson would make a better captain, keep Martin as club captain, and enable him to focus on his own performances bedding himself into his "new" position.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

yep.. nowhere indeed...

[/quote]

You must have started supporting NCFC when they got to premiership, have you never heard of Grant Holt

Martin''s most deserving of it, but i think with Adams being a midfielder he would like to see the commanding role moved into that area.

Question is whether Howson is first name on the team sheet or not, as ultimately your captain should be.

Carlos 100% correct we need strong characters in this team! we need players with that on field leadership style to lift. Because it was a very quiet team last year and we need a vocal leader and one that shows it each and every game. Lead by example

spot on carlos and smooth. A good captain is great, but a team with 3 / 4 active leaders on the pitch is better.

Last season we had none, when the going got tough you were as likely to see encouragement from Tettey as anyone - and he is not captain material too often those mentioned as being captain or actual captain (Seb, Russ, Howson disappeared when we needed them most.

I am sure those players have them in it, but true leadership come to the fore naturally when the team needs it.

Tend to agree we do seem to be missing the combination of a strong vocal leader but who will also be first name on team sheet. At present we seem to have one or the other:

Ruddy - def starter, but prob too nice and not vocal enough

Martin - good captain qualities, prob starter at right back but if wants to be centre back not sure better than Bennett and turner

Turner - dark horse contender for me

Howson - has. Ability but not sure vocal and will he always play if we keep tetty and fer? Esp if we can''t decide in best position.

Given the attacking players are struggling with form or new then none real plausible options.

Not even thinking about Bassong, even if he was to return to his best form then I can not excuse his poor attitude last season and inability to rally the troops

Think it''s likely to be Martin but it''s certainly a dilemma for Adams

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]spot on carlos and smooth. A good captain is great, but a team with 3 / 4 active leaders on the pitch is better.

Last season we had none, when the going got tough you were as likely to see encouragement from Tettey as anyone - and he is not captain material too often those mentioned as being captain or actual captain (Seb, Russ, Howson disappeared when we needed them most.

I am sure those players have them in it, but true leadership come to the fore naturally when the team needs it.[/quote]

Completely disagree that Martin disappeared when we needed him most.

Take into account Hughtons stupid decision to appoint both team captain and club captain. When in the side together, Martin was always going to be in Bassongs shadow with the captaincy role.

Believe me, this affects a player.

Martin didn''t have a great season but it''s a little harsh saying he disappeared!

There are many styles of leadership and many ways to motivate and many ways to build a team ethic. A good leader does not have to be seen and heard by the whole world, a good leader can solicit the best out of his team without the need for histrionics.

So, as supporters it is entirely possible we won''t neccessarily notice our leader, he will just get on with the job quietly and eficiently, with perhaps most of his work being done off the pitch.

Now I see some people naming names as their choice of Captain and this leads me to wonder whether they have intimate knowledge of;

a) the individual''s desire to accept the role an

b) their ability to man manage

c) the level of acceptance that would be forthcoming from the rest of the squad, in other words who their choice would be if it went to a vote, which it may have done of course!

I suspect Neil Adams can answer the above three ponderables, which is a damn good thing really as the choice of Captain is essentially his and his alone.

Now, given that it it obvious that RM has been given the role, then as far as the manager and the team are concerned he is the person best suited to be our captain and for what it is worth, I agree but it wouldn''t matter a hoot if I didn''t!.

Highland Canary wrote the following post at 04/07/2014 8:52 PM:

Turner.

I don''t agree with much that you post Highland, especially your opinion of Snodgrass and Hooper, but on this this one I fully agree.

Martin will clearly be captain. Popular and model pro. Average player.