Sign in to follow this  
Daz Sparks

The significance of this forum

I enjoy reading the forum here, and there are some reasoned and insightful posts on here on a regular basis. However, the gravity of the forum is diminished by a sizeable number of posters that seek to troll, settle scores and amplify their deep seated negativity.

All of this dilutes the valid and intelligent posts to the point that none of them carry any weight or have any influence with the club, press, players or the fan base as a whole.

It is a shame really that an independent forum that has some excellent attributes is brought down to a level of obscurity in the general scheme.

You know it''s not just this forum that has the problem right?

It''s the Internet. And people. Not the Pinkun.

Yes, Gingerpele, of course I recognise that, I am suggesting that it could carry more weight if it wasn''t for the aforementioned.

[quote user="Daz Sparks"]I enjoy reading the forum here, and there are some reasoned and insightful posts on here on a regular basis. However, the gravity of the forum is diminished by a sizeable number of posters that seek to troll, settle scores and amplify their deep seated negativity. All of this dilutes the valid and intelligent posts to the point that none of them carry any weight or have any influence with the club, press, players or the fan base as a whole. It is a shame really that an independent forum that has some excellent attributes is brought down to a level of obscurity in the general scheme.[/quote]

FERK OFF! [:D]

Daz - do what I do and ignore them. Fortunately their posts are usually very short, because they have little to say, and are easily ignored.

Some of the little b*tch fights on here between fully grown men really are sad. Half the posts on here look like a 14 year old girls Facebook page; just full of utter pointless crap.

Have a look on WACCOE one day it makes this forum look like a MENSA forum.

I tend to agree, what is really annoying is when a relatively decent thread descends in to two or three parties just taking pot shots at each other and making personal insults. Whole thread then just gets hijacked and degenerates in to a slagging match whilst the original point of the thread is forgotten.

Know it happens on every forum but we are all at least supposed to have the common cause of supporting Norwich City F.C.!

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="Daz Sparks"]I enjoy reading the forum here, and there are some reasoned and insightful posts on here on a regular basis. However, the gravity of the forum is diminished by a sizeable number of posters that seek to troll, settle scores and amplify their deep seated negativity. All of this dilutes the valid and intelligent posts to the point that none of them carry any weight or have any influence with the club, press, players or the fan base as a whole. It is a shame really that an independent forum that has some excellent attributes is brought down to a level of obscurity in the general scheme.[/quote]

[/quote]

Have I ever replied in such way to any of your posts?

Maybe you might like to enlighten me as why you choose to abuse me?

The forum is for discussion of footballing points. Purposely portraying posters'' views in a different light than was intended is rife and it is the single most damaging way of posting - and it ruins decent debate.   It is done because people want to devalue the poster concerned, not by using argument or discussion, but by a lower form of posting that has more to do with mob behaviour and bullying.   Write something that isn''t liked and if you are not considered worthy you will receive short shrift, posters twisting your words and worst of all, abuse.  Then, if you try to defend your position, you will find it attracts others of their ilk to pile in and make the situation worse.

What''s the alternative?  Say "f*** it"  and walk away?   Well, that is what a lot of people probably do.  But that just leaves the board more in control of the t*ssers who think they are kings of the board.   Personally, I''ll answer back - and while I know that can make the situation worse for the thread concerned - I will often fight back and try and try and keep referring back to the thread too, in an effort to keep it on track.   

None of us is innocent - we all care about our club and things can get heated.  But forums like this are only as good as the posters that are on it.   Other boards - I look in on Wigan''s board from time to time, because of the Grant Holt connection and that seems to be good - but then there is some moderating on there - and it is run by the club, which probably helps.  This board is the best one we have to be on - it is down to all of us to look after it and make it a better place to be. 

This board has definitely gone down hill over the last couple of years,due to the amount of trolls (and the not so obvious ones) and one of the reasons I don''t post so much.

I''m sometimes guilty of assuming that this board is a microcosm of Norwich City fans in general, but thankfully as I have a life outside of these boards I know that not to be the case.

On the plus side sometimes news breaks on here before it appears elsewhere, and the match threads are generally entertaining.

"Have I ever replied in such way to any of your posts?

Maybe you might like to enlighten me as why you choose to abuse me? "

At least we''ve all got a sense of humour.

[quote user="Daz Sparks"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

Have I ever replied in such way to any of your posts?

Maybe you might like to enlighten me as why you choose to abuse me?[/quote]There''s a little plane for you.....[ap]

[quote user="toftwood"]Wiz - you really are an ignorant old 5hit![/quote]....and you can have 3 little planes. Because you seem extra special...[ap] [ap] [ap]

is anyone truly mad enough to think this forum has any more significance than any bar discussion?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]is anyone truly mad enough to think this forum has any more significance than any bar discussion?[/quote]Certainly not me.  It''s merely an avenue for banter between people who, from time to time have a little too much time on their hands (and before anyone starts, I include myself in that remark !!)Last season one or two folk , led ,I think, by LDC, suggested that ''negativity'' on forums such as this filtered down to the players and was a reason for our poor performances. I said at the time that this idea was preposterous. I still think it''s preposterous.

[quote user="Daz Sparks"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote] Have I ever replied in such way to any of your posts? Maybe you might like to enlighten me as why you choose to abuse me?[/quote]

1. I was trying to be ironic.

2. I found your post both pompous and arrogant in equal measures.

3. Bye.

[quote user="toftwood"]Wiz - you really are an ignorant old 5hit![/quote]

Err............Okay. [:|]

[quote user="Daz Sparks"]I enjoy reading the forum here, and there are some reasoned and insightful posts on here on a regular basis. However, the gravity of the forum is diminished by a sizeable number of posters that seek to troll, settle scores and amplify their deep seated negativity.

All of this dilutes the valid and intelligent posts to the point that none of them carry any weight or have any influence with the club, press, players or the fan base as a whole. [/quote]Agree with every word - until posters like "Purple Canary" and "Yankee Canary", if that is their real names, stop their mindless trolling and wind-ups then the pearls of wisdom and insightful debate offered by "Wiz", "Waveney" and "Huckerby''s Boots - Matt" will be missed by the masses.Ban them, I say.  Ban them to hell.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]is anyone truly mad enough to think this forum has any more significance than any bar discussion?[/quote]Last season one or two folk , led ,I think, by LDC, suggested that ''negativity'' on forums such as this filtered down to the players and was a reason for our poor performances. I said at the time that this idea was preposterous. I still think it''s preposterous.[/quote]

The suggestion I have, which people don''t seem to get - or I haven''t explained it well enough - is that negativity in any form is bad for a football club, whether its players, fans, or management or all three.   The players don''t live in a bubble - they live in and around Norwich, pick up on the vibe of fans and will be affected.  BUT - it works both ways.  Some players - had a negative reaction to Hughton''s ideas on football - and that wouldn''t have helped.  Hughton himself, of course wanted more structure and caution in our play - that didn''t help positivity in anyone, players or fans.   So the key for me is that everyone involved with a club, whether they are fans or players or management have to try and have a positive outlook. 

I have been saying the same thing since I joined the board in 2009, before anyone starts on about Hughton love ins, again.  Negativity is bad for a football club - and once it is set in is very hard to get rid of.  The blame game is easy - oh its the manager''s fault, or its the players'' fault, or it is the board''s fault.  But fans contribute to success and failure with their responses - like it is always said - fans can be a twelfth man on the pitch - but if that is the case they can also be the reason we are appearing playing with ten men on the pitch too. 

Fans do affect what happens.  This board is thankfully not representative of fans as a whole, but there is enough needless negativity on here to have some effect - even if it is only a  tiny effect.   The club is the sum total of all its parts, fans included and this board is part of that, like it or not.  If it is a hive of  abusiveness and trolls, then that reflects on the club.    The board is only as good as what is posted on it.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I have been saying the same thing since I joined the board in 2009, before anyone starts on about Hughton love ins, again.  Negativity is bad for a football club - and once it is set in is very hard to get rid of. 

The board is only as good as what is posted on it.

[/quote]According to your own profile, you joined in Sept 11, LDC. It''s not that difficult to see why there was no negativity around then. We were playing some cracking stuff under Lambert and had just been promoted to the PL. Even your version (2009) things were very much on the up.As we''ve discussed before this negative/positive thing is very much a chicken/ egg type conundrum . I know you do not agree, so I do not wish to indulge in yet another spat over this, but do you not just think it might be possible that some of the negativity you despise on this board is there because we''ve just endured 2 seasons of stultifyingly dull (and ultimately unsuccessful) dross under Hughton ? Oh, and the small matter of being relegated too ?!I suspect that  the rough translation of your final sentence (highlighted) is " This board is only any good if it contains stuff I agree with ".

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lake district canary"]I have been saying the same thing since I joined the board in 2009, before anyone starts on about Hughton love ins, again.  Negativity is bad for a football club - and once it is set in is very hard to get rid of.  The board is only as good as what is posted on it. [/quote]According to your own profile, you joined in Sept 11, LDC. It''s not that difficult to see why there was no negativity around then. We were playing some cracking stuff under Lambert and had just been promoted to the PL. Even your version (2009) things were very much on the up.As we''ve discussed before this negative/positive thing is very much a chicken/ egg type conundrum . I know you do not agree, so I do not wish to indulge in yet another spat over this, but do you not just think it might be possible that some of the negativity you despise on this board is there because we''ve just endured 2 seasons of stultifyingly dull (and ultimately unsuccessful) dross under Hughton ? Oh, and the small matter of being relegated too ?!I suspect that  the rough translation of your final sentence (highlighted) is " This board is only any good if it contains stuff I agree with ".[/quote]

I started in 2009 with a different email account, but still under the title lake district canary.  If you think things were on the up in 2009, then the relegation and subsequent hammering by Colchester would seem to paint a different picture, until of course Lambert/Holt  got us going and things improved.   You seem to have a very narrow view of what I say and what I think.   I may be single minded but on the whole I will discuss amicably anything with anybody, whether I agree with them or disagree with them.  Where I draw the line is when other people appear to want to try and change the message I am putting across, or chuck in an abusive response - or just acting bigtime.    I can and do discuss things with some posters without any trouble at all.   Unfortunately, there are those on here that like to think they are top dogs - and they can''t take an opposing view without either abusing it,  ridiculing it, or just acting plain barmy. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][.   I may be single minded but on the whole I will discuss amicably anything with anybody, whether I agree with them or disagree with them.  Where I draw the line is when other people appear to want to try and change the message I am putting across, or chuck in an abusive response - or just acting bigtime.    I can and do discuss things with some posters without any trouble at all.   Unfortunately, there are those on here that like to think they are top dogs - and they can''t take an opposing view without either abusing it,  ridiculing it, or just acting plain barmy. 

[/quote]Well, you''ll forgive me Lake, if I find that this sort of event is almost ''collectors item'' status !Sure, there are people that I generally disagree with. They appear to feel the same about me. Morty has gone on record as actually saying that he disagrees with everything I post ON PRINCIPLE, which I find utterly bizarre. I certainly do not feel the same about you., but do sense that the number of times that you''ve posted "agree with you" or similar as extraordinarily rare. That''s not being single minded,  but more contrary.I will agree that it does rather depend on when in 2009 you joined  that would have skewed your outlook on all things NCFC. A March or April arrival would have been pretty bleak. But November or December , and things would''ve looked a good deal rosier !

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lake district canary"][.   I may be single minded but on the whole I will discuss amicably anything with anybody, whether I agree with them or disagree with them.  Where I draw the line is when other people appear to want to try and change the message I am putting across, or chuck in an abusive response - or just acting bigtime.    I can and do discuss things with some posters without any trouble at all.   Unfortunately, there are those on here that like to think they are top dogs - and they can''t take an opposing view without either abusing it,  ridiculing it, or just acting plain barmy.  [/quote]Morty has gone on record as actually saying that he disagrees with everything I post ON PRINCIPLE, which I find utterly bizarre. I certainly do not feel the same about you., but do sense that the number of times that you''ve posted "agree with you" or similar as extraordinarily rare. That''s not being single minded,  but more contrary.[/quote]

Morty is a c*ck.  Lol [Y]....................(yes, yes, I know, Morty, I''m a d*ck.......)

I tend to treat as I find, Reggie - and if I feel I have been misrepresented or maligned unjustly, I''ll will fight my corner, as you know.  I disagree with quite a lot of the more negative views, as they are often too extreme to make rational sense, but equally, if people say something I agree with I''ll say so - it just doesn''t happen so often......

[quote user="lake district canary"]Morty is a c*ck.  Lol [Y]....................(yes, yes, I know, Morty, I''m a d*ck.......)

[/quote]Haven''t you forgotten t*t, pr*ck, kn*b, tw*t, and several other body parts, Lake ?It''s all beginning to spookily resemble a classic Morty post.......