Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Last year at this time.......

We were all more than just excited when the club bought TWO strikers with great scoring records to our club.

We all felt that this would ensure we would stay in the PL, and fished higher that the past two seasons. In fact all the pundits and sports reporters felt the same.

The season turned out worse than anyone thought at this time last year.

Lets hope the opposite it the case this coming season.

It seems from reading this board that most have low expectations, mainly due to a untried and untested manager being in place.

Well CH was very experienced , and look what rubbish he served up. I bet that this season at least will be far more enjoyable to watch. At least a more attacking format has been promised. Guess we have to give NA a chance to prove himself.

No more than 10 games this time though. [^o)]

It all depends Wiz. If it looks like Adams is clearly out of his depth then less then 10 games. If we are picking up points, but not as many as the fans would like, but it looks as though the team are gelling and gaining momentum then more than 10 games. Etc. etc.

It was obvious for those of us that had watched the previous season what was likely to happen. Unfortunately, it doesn''t take a rocket scientist to predict what will happen this.

[quote user="Herman "]It all depends Wiz. If it looks like Adams is clearly out of his depth then less then 10 games. If we are picking up points, but not as many as the fans would like, but it looks as though the team are gelling and gaining momentum then more than 10 games. Etc. etc.[/quote]

Herman is right Wiz. There can be a big difference between two different runs of 10 games with a low point tally. Much like a 0-0 draw can be a drab, boring affair or a brilliant, end-to-end battle with 2 great goalkeepers keeping clean sheets.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]It was obvious for those of us that had watched the previous season what was likely to happen. Unfortunately, it doesn''t take a rocket scientist to predict what will happen this.[/quote]

Go on then Highland, what''s going to happen then?

Predict it, and we''ll come back to this in May and see if it did or did not take a rocket scientist to predict what would happen this time.

I don''t see how you can have a clue how we will do this year, without the benefit of a previous season under Adams'' management to help you.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]It was obvious for those of us that had watched the previous season what was likely to happen. Unfortunately, it doesn''t take a rocket scientist to predict what will happen this.[/quote]I agree with your first sentence, HC. Totally.  I am a bit more optimistic than you appear to be in your second..But the one thing that is essential is that we cannot afford to give NA the sort of prolonged tolerance that we gave to Hughton. Eternal optimists like LDC  are prepared , evidently, to cut him as much slack as he wants, in the hope that it''ll be alright on the night. However, as others have said in this thread, the realists amongst us, and those with higher expectations know that, if it''s patently not working out, then the board have to have the courage of their convictions and make the necessary changes sooner rather than later.

obviously the difference here is that we now know we have the strikers that can score 22+ goals this season in grabban and hooper

We could start the season with a mixed bag of results.   The team could look quite different from last season and making a new team gel straight away is not going to be easy.  Gunn had a fantastic pre-season in 2009, but that all fell apart as soon as competitive football started.  Patience will be required imo.  Ten games is not enough - nowhere near enough imo.  You have to have the courage of your convictions that the season as a whole will give us what we want.  Sure, it didn''t work with Hughton, fair enough,  but if Adams is not given the whole season, the chances are that someone else from within would be given the job - and there are no guarantees that a replacement would do any better.

The last thing we want is a manager who is only given a few games to get things right.  If we are like that, if we are not careful, we will be changing managers three or four times a season - a road to nowhere.   I believe Adams will get us promoted this season, but that won''t happen until April/May next year.   The only reason a manager should ever be pushed out mid season is if the team aren''t playing for him - and if the team aren''t playing for the manager after only a few games, then it is they who should be sacked, not the manager. 

Our early games are not going to be easy. To give Adams the first ten is ridiculous. In what way will he be judged? Points or performance?

First three away games are Wolves, Ipswich and Cardiff, Most realists would take a point from each and hope for maybe five from the three.

And with 46 to play, it won''t be until Christmas until the top six really emerge.

If the performances are poor then that is a different matter.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Our early games are not going to be easy. To give Adams the first ten is ridiculous. In what way will he be judged? Points or performance?

First three away games are Wolves, Ipswich and Cardiff, Most realists would take a point from each and hope for maybe five from the three.

And with 46 to play, it won''t be until Christmas until the top six really emerge.

If the performances are poor then that is a different matter.[/quote]Agree, in the main with this, KG. I do not think anybody but some of the extremists are suggesting changes after 10 games. The one proviso being in the unfortunate event of absolutely dire performances and hammerings of the 1-7 Colchester variety .Not too sure however about this Christmas business. I''d like to think that we will be there or thereabouts at the very least well before Xmas.  Top Six ?? Leicester, Burnley, QPR etc were in that position pretty much from the off last season.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="keelansgrandad"]Our early games are not going to be easy. To give Adams the first ten is ridiculous. In what way will he be judged? Points or performance?

If the performances are poor then that is a different matter.[/quote]Agree, in the main with this, KG. I do not think anybody but some of the extremists are suggesting changes after 10 games. The one proviso being in the unfortunate event of absolutely dire performances and hammerings of the 1-7 Colchester variety .Not too sure however about this Christmas business. I''d like to think that we will be there or thereabouts at the very least well before Xmas.  Top Six ?? Leicester, Burnley, QPR etc were in that position pretty much from the off last season.[/quote]

I would be happy to be in the top six at Christmas particularly if the football is good.

Obviously if we are too many points adrift from the top two then that would be a problem but much in the same way as 10/11, as long as you finish in the top two after 46 games then that is all it needs.

I still don''t think it is going to be easy though and many "extremists" seem to think it should be a formality and are ready to blame the board, Adams etc if we don''t go straight back up. Even the bookies don''t see it that way.

I think Lennon would have taken us up, not the least by getting the most out of Hooper and by having the credibility to encourage our better players to say; Malky would have taken us to the top 6; now I suspect we''ll finish mid-table. It''s not an issue of positivity or negativity but simply my opinion based on decisions taken in the board room.

Is there any point spending the next few months moaning about something that didn''t happen?

If we''re not 2 up by halftime of opening day, Adams out! If we haven''t mathematically secured a top 6 by New Year''s, then Adams'' replacement out! If we aren''t guaranteed promotion without playoffs by Easter, Adams'' replacement''s replacement out!

I cant really see how you can form a negative view about Adams Highland when he is an unknown quantity as a Championship manager. Your analysis of Malky and Lennon will be based on some evidence but you just dont know about Neil so why not give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

It''s simply experience versus inexperience Jenkins. Thus, an inexperienced manager will have less knowledge of inter alia senior player management, pressure and the nature of the league itself. Further, credibility, so important for player acquisition, retention and disposal, is established by sucess. An inexperienced manager will not be able to demonstrate this trait and is therefore at a disadvantage

I think Lennon would have taken us up. Malky top 6. However I see Neil Adams appointment as the equivalent of playing Russian Roulette with 2 bullets in 6 chambers. He''s twice as likely to pull the trigger safely for us than not - but will it be enough? 

More than anything I hope we get some basic good fortune - a lucky manager would be nice next season because next to nothing ran in our favour under Hughton!  

Giving NA 10 games is just nonsense. We have a new management team in place if NA goes will new manager want to work with new Technical Director, Football Consultant and new first team coaches, he will want own men. City can not afford another management team NA here to stay for all season at the very least.

Being profligate will rapidly erode our financial position.

I agree Jenkins that experience is not the only factor in determining sucess but I would argue it is the most significant. We should have prioritised promotion as the only objective for next season - it lacks credibility to suggest you would appoint a managerial rookie with that aim. The problem is if we fail next season any of our PL quality players we might still have would need to be sold. Perhaps, in such circumstances, where by necessity we would have to play the youngsters, a youth team coach might indeed be a good plan.

I think that''s another part of the battle pete, we have had this mass restructure in the management team that probably caused possible managers to either walk away or be a big cause for concern. And if we fail this season who is to blame? Adams or the board for putting in place this management structure? I think the board will finally have to answer some seriouse questions.

10 games is on the low side to judge a manager on. however if we had bitten the bullet with Hughton earlyer instead of this nonsense about not giving him enough time untill he had ultimately relegated us we wouldn''t be here now.

I just remember hoping that Hoots did what he had to do to make sure we didn''t lose including playing boring football and with a nice transfer kitty he brought in players with skill and could open up the game...instead he just ruined those players. Really sucks when you think about it so much. What a waste.

[quote user="barclay_boy111"]I think that''s another part of the battle pete, we have had this mass restructure in the management team that probably caused possible managers to either walk away or be a big cause for concern. And if we fail this season who is to blame? Adams or the board for putting in place this management structure? I think the board will finally have to answer some seriouse questions.

10 games is on the low side to judge a manager on. however if we had bitten the bullet with Hughton earlyer instead of this nonsense about not giving him enough time untill he had ultimately relegated us we wouldn''t be here now.[/quote]^^^^^^^^This

[quote user="barclay_boy111"]I think that''s another part of the battle pete, we have had this mass restructure in the management team that probably caused possible managers to either walk away or be a big cause for concern. And if we fail this season who is to blame? Adams or the board for putting in place this management structure? I think the board will finally have to answer some seriouse questions.

10 games is on the low side to judge a manager on. however if we had bitten the bullet with Hughton earlyer instead of this nonsense about not giving him enough time untill he had ultimately relegated us we wouldn''t be here now.[/quote]

The board are the board and are doing their best.   We have had successes and failures over the years, like most clubs - some would say we have had more success over the years than most clubs in our position.

Hughton failed - but there were plenty of good reasons why he was kept on - and as has been said time after time - there were no guarantees we would have done better if he had been replaced earlier.    As usual, people just focus on one thing at the expense of the bigger picture - and the board have to see the bigger picture.   They made a decision and it didn''t work out - but it could have done - margins were very small last season - but those that are so critical of the board should sometimes put aside their having  to blame someone all the time and just try and see beyond a simplistic view all the time.

There are no easy solutions.   Pulis went to Palace and performed a minor miracle.  If we had sacked Hughton and got in Pulis there would have been a revolution, wailing and gnashing of teeth.    Magath, if we had got him, might have been a popular choice - but look what happened to Fulham.   The board have put us in a position where we are still a healthy vibrant club, despite the setbacks - and appear to have put in a structure that will stand the test of time and lead to a more stable approach in terms of style of football and management.   If Adams fails (and I don''t for one minute think he will) the structure is in place to move on to someone else without a repeat of the Lambert to Hughton change over where it was like chalk and cheese.  Stability and common sense seem to have ruled the roost - it was something they attempted with Gunn, but they didn''t have McNally over seeing it then.  The Gunn experiment was disastrous bit that didn''t make the idea of it wrong..........

LDC please enlighten me on the reason Hughton was kept on for as log as he was? Because the only reason the board stated was that their was no other manager avalible in January and yet we went an employed some one in house when it was too late, it''s amazing that desitions like this are just batted away with out any real disappointment or anger.

Of course changing the manager at any point doesn''t guarantee any more success with the team but let''s be honest if Adams was in charge from January he couldn''t have possibly done any worse.

Not brining any the right enforcements during the January transfermarket is another decision that frankly blew my mind and for me these are the things the board will in time have to really answer and not just by saying look where we had come from, look at the success we had because why should the success have to stop?

[quote user="barclay_boy111"].

Of course changing the manager at any point doesn''t guarantee any more success with the team but let''s be honest if Adams was in charge from January he couldn''t have possibly done any worse. [/quote]Spot on BB. This is precisely the thing that Lake and those of his persuasion just cannot get into their heads when they trot out this ''no guarantees'' mantra. In fact it is they who do not look at the ''wider picture''....quite the opposite from the accusations they make re the rest of us.As far as they are concerned better the devil you know than you don''t, but the inconvenient truth for them is that almost anyone who''d have been brought in in January to replace Hughton could not have done any worse. He cites the Pulis example as a rare event, but, in fairness to Magath, Solskjaer, Mel etc, whilst they failed, they certainly did no worse than their predecessors.

[quote user="barclay_boy111"]LDC please enlighten me on the reason Hughton was kept on for as log as he was? Because the only reason the board stated was that their was no other manager avalible in January and yet we went an employed some one in house when it was too late, it''s amazing that desitions like this are just batted away with out any real disappointment or anger.

Of course changing the manager at any point doesn''t guarantee any more success with the team but let''s be honest if Adams was in charge from January he couldn''t have possibly done any worse.

Not brining any the right enforcements during the January transfermarket is another decision that frankly blew my mind and for me these are the things the board will in time have to really answer and not just by saying look where we had come from, look at the success we had because why should the success have to stop?[/quote]

Its been gone over again and again and I''m sure the decisions were made in good faith.  They made a decision and it didn''t work out, that''s all.  It may have appeared simple to just say get rid, but alternatives were limited. As I said in my last post, Pulis was available at that time.........    Time is a great healer and as long as the new approach works then we will soon forget Hughton and start looking forwards again.