Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

NCFC 'Executive Board' confirmed

Per the club''s site - Ricky Martin is technical director (no real surprise), Barry Simmonds has joined from Fulham where he was head of scouting/ recruitment since 2008, so plenty of experience.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Per the club''s site - Ricky Martin is technical director (no real surprise), Barry Simmonds has joined from Fulham where he was head of scouting/ recruitment since 2008, so plenty of experience.[/quote]

''Little old Norwich'' is alive and well. [:S]

Full story:

CITY are pleased to confirm the new football executive board has now been finalised as the Club''s busy preparations for the 2014-15 Sky Bet Championship campaign continue.

Working together with Manager Neil Adams and Chief Executive David McNally on the football executive board will be Ricky Martin, who is promoted to Technical Director from his previous position as Academy

Manager, and Barry Simmonds, who has been brought in to lead the Club''s player recruitment and scouting operation.

Ricky Martin joined the Canaries in July 2001 as Assistant Academy Director before being promoted to Academy Manager in May 2004. He has played a pivotal role in helping the Club to secure and then develop its vital Elite Performance Plan (EPP) Category One status.

In recent seasons the Academy has enjoyed national success, with the Under-18s - coached by Neil Adams - winning the FA Youth Cup in 2013 in stunning fashion with victory over Chelsea in the final.

Last season City''s Under-21s secured their Barclays U-21 Academy Premier League status for a third successive season, ensuring the Canaries'' youngsters will continue to compete at the highest level in this vital age group.

In his new role as the Club''s Technical Director, Martin will be responsible for overseeing a wide range of vital responsibilities to support the first team squad, including:

- Operations

- Colney facilities

- Academy

- Under-21s

- Medical/Physiotherapy

- Sports Science

- Conditioning

- Well-being

Martin commented: "I really am excited about moving into my new position as Technical Director.

"The new football executive board is a team that I''m really looking forward to working alongside as we plot our success hopefully back into the Premier League.

"It''s a new opportunity now and it''s a blank piece of paper in some ways too, so I''ve got a chance to shape the role."

Meanwhile the Club is delighted to confirm Barry Simmonds has joined us from Fulham, where he has been Head of Scouting and Player Recruitment since March 2008. Simmonds brings a wealth of top-level experience in scouting and recruitment, having worked closely with current England boss Roy Hodgson during his time at Craven Cottage.

He was previously Managing Director at Darlington FC and worked in management, coaching, scouting and recruitment at several other clubs including Cardiff City, Queen''s Park Rangers, Crystal Palace and Viking FK in Norway, as well as having a spell as manager of New Zealand Knights in the Australian A League.

City Chief Executive David McNally said the Board of Directors were delighted to have secured the services of Martin and Simmonds in these key roles and that the new football executive board would provide an invaluable blend of ambition and experience as the Club builds for the future.

He commented: "We will be working very closely together on the football executive board to achieve our objective of getting Norwich City back to the Barclays Premier League.

"Ricky fully deserves his promotion to the key role of Technical Director and Barry brings invaluable experience in the field of scouting and recruitment into the mix.

"It''s all about doing everything we can to ensure Neil Adams, his staff and the squad have dynamic and effective support in all they do and that all they need is provided to the highest professional standards."

Cue responses of ''doing it on the cheap''.

Personally see Martin as a logical promotion. Don''t know anything about Simmonds so let''s see what happens.

Ricky Martin seems the most logical posting when you consider the duties involved, though it is once again rather odd that it took so long to announce.

Can''t believe the chief scout is called Barry!

"Neyul, Wass gorn on in trainun?"

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

http://youtu.be/uqLsh9QtZMg

Ricky Martin as technical director is very underwhelming. Once again the world has been scoured only to find the best candidate is coincidently already in Norfolk.

Yep, strange that it took so long. I think most would have guessed he was getting the job.

[quote user="Leedscanary"]Can''t believe the chief scout is called Barry! "Neyul, Wass gorn on in trainun?" 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

http://youtu.be/uqLsh9QtZMg     [/quote]

What happened to the idea that the technical director was going to impliment a ''Norwich way'', a style of football that would transcend the tenures of individual managers? There''s no mention of anything like that in the press release, or even of Martin having any input on signings and coaching beyond fitness work.

Whilst I can see some of the sense in this decision I can only echo the question about why it''s taken so long?

We were relegated nearly two months ago, took a few weeks scouring Europe for a new manager and well, we know the rest.

Underwhelmed once again.

Ricky Martin is a fine choice, knows the club and has shown with the current crop of youth players he knows how to develop players. I do feel Norwich made a mistake in making such a grand announcement that there was going to be a Technical Director - which got the whole speculation machine going.

If Norwich had just done this and not told anyone then there wouldn''t be a thread about it and no one would talk about being underwhelmed.

The appointment of Simmonds has taken a while as he was recently made redundant from Fulham as Magath is bringing in his own people. I presume Norwich were waiting for all this to be finalised before moving in and having to pay compensation to Fulham for him.

When Royle was announced the press released said the hiring for Chief Scout was ongoing, and the Technical Director would be announced soon. To me, this suggests that Martin has been in this role for a while now and Norwich were waiting for Simmonds so they could announce the complete ''Executive Board''.

For what it is worth I''m very pleased Simmonds is coming in, Fulham have always had one of the most interesting recruitment policies and have had plenty of good, unknown finds - as well as a few misses as well. If Simmonds can get Norwich another Dembele I''ll be very happy.

Anyway, Norwich have unfortunately made what should be a nothing story into a matter of interest. I would imagine this is also why the slow announcement, to take the heat out things a little bit.

[quote user="Canary fun and games "]^^ in other words yet another communication screw up by the board[/quote]now calm yourself down young binboyyou''ve got your cup final coming up at the end of August so best focus on that

[quote user="Canary fun and games "]^^ in other words yet another communication screw up by the board[/quote]^^ Suffolk Simpleton!Just give up Waveney.........

Dithering and procrastination have certainly been the order of the day for quite some time, it''s not exactly consistent with the Chief Exec heading down to the West Country and sending Gunn on his way?

I''m sure Ricky Martin will be fine but that''s not really my point, if all we were waiting for was the bloke from Fulham it''s sure as hell taken a long time to create a team of people where three of the team were already at the club.

Bury Canary do you not see that this team of people have probably been in place now for a while now and doing the job. Just because it was announced today doesn''t mean it only started happening today.

Simmonds is the final piece in the puzzle and Norwich had to wait on his contractual situation at Fulham to resolve itself. I see no sign of ''procrastination'' or ''dithering''.

Also, it would be hard for them to actually do much when the players weren''t actually in training and it clearly hasn''t adversely affected transfers as Norwich have already brought in two players.

I''m not at all underwhelmed, Martin seemed v likely to be the man when they made clear what the role included. It is the length of time taken to announce which is odd, I agree with Bethnal that they did rather make a rod for their own back in making such a big deal of it.

The Fulham guy was certainly in his role for a decent length of time, under various managers in the PL, so it seems likely he knows what he''s doing.

[quote user="A Gay Schoolboy"]What happened to the idea that the technical director was going to impliment a ''Norwich way'', a style of football that would transcend the tenures of individual managers? There''s no mention of anything like that in the press release, or even of Martin having any input on signings and coaching beyond fitness work.[/quote]Because if anyone is going to do that, to provide long-term continuity, it is Joe Royle, the football consultant. As soon as that post was created (probably at Adams'' request), with Royle as the occupant (ditto), it was clear that was how the various responsibilities were being apportioned. With the technical director mainly involved in day to day matters.

Although the choice of technical director was to be expected, what I don''t understand is why we sacked ewan chester because the players he recommended/recruited got us relegated, yet go for Fulham-who have just been relegated. This is a very simple way of looking at it I suppose and isn''t worth complaining about, the proof is in the pudding i guess, so welcome aboard Mr Barry Simmonds.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Because if anyone is going to do that, to provide long-term continuity, it is Joe Royle, the football consultant. As soon as that post was created (probably at Adams'' request), with Royle as the occupant (ditto), it was clear that was how the various responsibilities were being apportioned. With the technical director mainly involved in day to day matters.[/quote]If Royle was appointed at Adams behest, its unlikely he''ll still be in the job when Adams has gone.

[quote user="A Gay Schoolboy"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Because if anyone is going to do that, to provide long-term continuity, it is Joe Royle, the football consultant. As soon as that post was created (probably at Adams'' request), with Royle as the occupant (ditto), it was clear that was how the various responsibilities were being apportioned. With the technical director mainly involved in day to day matters.[/quote]If Royle was appointed at Adams behest, its unlikely he''ll still be in the job when Adams has gone.[/quote]That doesn''t necessarily follow. If the board thinks, as I do, that Royle is a good choice as an elder statesman who can advise it - and not just Adams - on long-term isues then there is every chance he would be asked to stay on.