Sign in to follow this  
koimatsuba

Ricky Van Wolfswinkel 2nd chance?

OK so we all now remember just how bad a season RVW had last year, with some of the worst stats for a prem player ever!

but .... Was it all his fault? A good young player doesn''t just go bad just like that. There is a reason he was £8 mil to buy last season. Was it down to the way Houghton played with one up front?

I thought he would be gone by now, but was surprised to see him with the rest of the squad training.

Good on him I say, it can''t be easy to be the laughing stock of the Prem and potentially the worst signing of last season in the prem.

I say we should play him, get his confidence up and he may just surprise us all!

Like I say every season, time will tell, come Christmas he could be our top scorer with hopefully 10-15+ goals.

Glad to see that Adams is giving them all a clean sheet.

I will wish RVW well, it''s about time his luck changed.

Cheers all

That would be a mistake. Both RvW and Bassong were, arguably, our least effective players last season. These are the players we should be seeking to move on, not Snodgrass or Hooper, but there seems little to be less speculative interest in these players.

''Both RvW and Bassong were, arguably, our least effective players last season''....... which is exactly why they''ll be hard to move on. Ricky has to have a second chance, for his sake and ours, not to mention the dosh we paid. Seb, he hasnt looked right for a while, worse still ,he looks like he doesnt care. If he has any pride, a week or two on the bench should liven him up, if it doesnt, then so long Seb.

He did look completely at a loss last season. Obviously if we had only paid say £3M for him, he might have been cut some slack. But £8+M means we assumed he was a top top striker and last pre season, it was all Wolf.

I really can''t say what kind of a striker he is. Poacher? Runner? Bullyboy?

Under Hughton''s tactics, he didn''t seem to have a role except as a lone striker, having to chase Martin or Bassong''s launched clearances or making runs only for Snodgrass in particular or Redmond to stop and slow play down.

If he is staying, we have to give him another chance but I don''t think it is guaranteed that he is the top player his fee suggests.

Bassong & Wolf will be our 2 x most highly paid players and the club will want them off the wage bill asap

There combined wages will be around £2M pa. a massive amount compared to the pathetic contribution they give to our overall performance each week

Wolf - 2nd chance - not by choice , only if we cant get rid

I would love to see him play in the warm up games and score some goals.

Last preseason I think city struggled and he never really got going. I wanted him to storm the Prem and show the big boys that little old Norwich had a young striker worth buying.

With the wolf posters and the hype it all seems to have been one massive disaster, yet watching some of his you tube videos of his Lisbon days he is not a crap player by a long shot.

Perhaps 2 up front and the new strikers may team up well with him.

I hope nobody comes in for him now so that he gets the chance to show us at ncfc just what they paid for even if it''s a season too late.

Do you think the championship maybe the same level of football as the Portugal prem league? More to his playing style?

Cheers all

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]''Both RvW and Bassong were, arguably, our least effective players last season''....... which is exactly why they''ll be hard to move on. Ricky has to have a second chance, for his sake and ours, not to mention the dosh we paid. Seb, he hasnt looked right for a while, worse still ,he looks like he doesnt care. If he has any pride, a week or two on the bench should liven him up, if it doesnt, then so long Seb.[/quote]Bassong was superb in his first season and overall he wasn''t that bad last season. He made the odd mistake that always seemed to prove calamitous. If you''re playing that well, things shouldn''t hinge on the odd mistake. Fact is we weren''t scoring enough and that was putting ridiculous pressure on the defence to keep everything out. For both Bassong and van Wolfswinkel, both are basically very good players who underperformed last season, but they now have a manager whose career to date has been all about improving players at a youth level backed up by the advice of a consultant with an excellent reputation for getting the best out of players. Don''t write them off.

Many of the pundits, who should know more than we do, 15 or so months ago were reckoning that we had found a real bargain. Anyone who saw the many goals he scored were impressed.

You don''t lose your skill in a short time, but if you are a striker particularly, you can lose your confidence and your commitment. Even towards the end he was running into positions or seeking to gain possession by going wide.

Perhaps we shall never know why he failed, although some reasons are obvious:

1) poor service through the middle and poor crosses from wide

2) by the time he was beginning to settle in he was injured. and out for several weeks.

3) when he was fit again, the recovered Hooper was occupying the sole striker''s berth

4) the defensive (negative?) style used by Hughton did not fit with his game

There''e no guarantee that he will be successful, but I suspect that if he is given a second chance with a team better able to attack and create, then he will be more prolific.

interesting that people view rvw and seb as the least effective players, while its a fact (as jack white stripes would sing) that the team was at its most effective when they started (no player gain more points per start than RvW and seb was the best point gaining defender, and not the worst central defender in terms of goals per game conceded).

I am not saying that they did not have frustrating seasons nor denying that they had poor games in there , but the team was better with than without them despite the perception.

For me they both (in fact the whole squad do) deserve as much a second chance

How can RvW really be judged as one of our most ineffective players, to get the best out of players you need to play them, not give them 60 mins here and then pull off or 30 mins, a big issue we had with both Hooper and RvW is that we didn''t settle on one of them and just give them a run in the team

The biggest issue RvW had was when he was played it was in the main against the bigger teams Man U, Spurs etc where he will get less chances, the injury at teh start of the season knocked his early promise. He is a class player, we haven''t really seen it yet but one thing he did (that Hooper didn''t) is hustle, like for the goal v Spurs at home. Hooper is ineffective when a lone striker almost all his goals came when playing as a front 2 (with Elmander)

With the space and chances given in the Championship both Hooper and RvW should rip it up. The issue with RvW & Bassong are wages. I don''t think Bassong was fully fit last season and was being wheeled out for games. I do however think it is time Bassong moved on

The big difference between RvW and Bassong appears to be that Bassong apparently has no interest in Norwich City and RvW wants to play and prove himself.

That being the case, as they are both potentially very good players, is that the one who wants to stay, should, and the one that has no interest should leave.

I know talk is cheap, but judging from his Twitter he remains committed. I think if he''s prepared to give his all for us in this league, then it says a lot about his character and I''d hope everyone would be prepared to start him on a clean slate.

He is very committed to his wage packet making very positive noises in public, but in private he will be longing for the big payoff we will give them to leave.

He will not formally ask for a transfer as this would mean that he would forgo any compo

Adams has made it clear he is not in his plans, look at his squad number, and last season Adams preferred a 19 year old and 33 year old loane to our highest earner in the last game

He will not have scored 10/15 goals by Christmas because Adams wont play him - simple as that

I will not miss a man who is a poor excuse for a footballer, who showed more energy at his discussed by being substituted that he had in the previous 60 mins on the pitch

What on earth did his presence in the team have on the moral of the other 10 players, Most of the games he started was like playing with a man short as he did absolutely nothing